radius cut smoothing

/ radius cut smoothing #1  

arrow

Tractor
Mahindra 3016
What is a good tool to smooth out a 1 1/8" inside radius cuts made with a torch in 3/8 metal plate? Hand filing is getting old rather quickly. Do not have a drill press able to handle this diameter.

/ radius cut smoothing #3  
I agree with the roto Carbide burr. Double cut. Next would be a flap wheel on the die grinder.

/ radius cut smoothing
Went to Lowes and picked up this Kobalt tool as it was the only rotary tool I could find there. It worked best at slow speed in a variable speed drill. Took about 5 minutes so its slow but gets the job done. As they are only about 4 bucks, I could by several to finish th job. They also work plastics and wood of course.
Thanks for your advise.

Attachments

• PB232069.jpg
    PB232069.jpg
    603.8 KB · Views: 203
   / radius cut smoothing #6  
If I want it smooth I use a drum sanding roll.
Bill

/ radius cut smoothing #7  
I guess I have a long way to go cutting with the torch, my cuts look too jagged to be useful. I stopped cutting with the torch and find some other way.

/ radius cut smoothing #8  
Making a template to help guide the torch will smooth up the cut a great deal as compared to hand held torch, unless you have a very steady hand.

/ radius cut smoothing #9  
Went to Lowes and picked up this Kobalt tool as it was the only rotary tool I could find there. It worked best at slow speed in a variable speed drill. Took about 5 minutes so its slow but gets the job done. As they are only about 4 bucks, I could by several to finish th job. They also work plastics and wood of course.
Thanks for your advise.

Five minutes doesn't seem slow to me, for what you're grinding there. What are you making, a quick-hitch?

/ radius cut smoothing
5 minutes was to finish up the hack job I did with the file which did most of the rough work. (over a half hour) They are brackets to go on top of a loader bucket to hold bar type forks. This way I can load and unload the forks w/o getting off the tractor as I have only a pin type mount for the bucket. The torch was used only for the radius as I could not get in there with the sabre saw. The right drill press would have eliminated this problem all together.