Question on vehicles timing belt

/ Question on vehicles timing belt
Thanks for the response guys, basically confirmed my opinion that I should be proactive just due to the age of the last belt change.

Long story, but had to get the car inspected before we had to "rush" it to the person and at this point, I have no clue how many miles are being put on it and it would be a sin to scrap the car if it were due to the belt. Since we bought it with around 91K on it, I thought it was done at the end of the previous owners ownership, then looked at the records...

/ Question on vehicles timing belt #12  
In your case I personally wouldn't worry about it too much being a Honda and since it was already changed ... My Ex wife had a kia car and the timing belt let go not too long after the recommended mileages ... the engine was scrap. Then we got a civic, it got changes upon purchases and we drove it way past the next recommended mileages replacement and sold it, I am pretty sure that car is still kicking... It is a bit of Russian roulette yes.

Last edited:
It is a bit of Russian roulette yes.
Bingo.

Honestly, we don't need the car, as it sits most of the time and we don't drive it.

Think my wife would personally like to sell it because it provided what we bought it for. Myself, I don't care because it's been pretty good, and sometimes it's always nice to have a vehicle you don't need just in case of emergencies.

VERY long story, the person who is using it is waiting for another car to be fixed and would prefer that other vehicle anyways.

Thing is, if that belt goes, highly doubt we could sell the car for anything, but the belt is changed, an Accord in decent condition and we could recoup a lot of money off the car as we only paid like 5k for it and it only has like 40k on it since we bought it.

I wouldn't be opposed to giving the car to the person, but any service work really can't be afforded on their end, and sooner or later due to service the car most likely won't last that long anyways. Like I said before, long story...

/ Question on vehicles timing belt #14  
On my Subaru's I have the belt and water pump changed at 100k. The reason for the water pump is the difficulty in getting to the water pump. While you are dismantled for the timing belt, it is much easier to change the water pump.

Doug in SW IA

/ Question on vehicles timing belt #15  
Bingo.

Honestly, we don't need the car, as it sits most of the time and we don't drive it.

Think my wife would personally like to sell it because it provided what we bought it for. Myself, I don't care because it's been pretty good, and sometimes it's always nice to have a vehicle you don't need just in case of emergencies.

VERY long story, the person who is using it is waiting for another car to be fixed and would prefer that other vehicle anyways.

Thing is, if that belt goes, highly doubt we could sell the car for anything, but the belt is changed, an Accord in decent condition and we could recoup a lot of money off the car as we only paid like 5k for it and it only has like 40k on it since we bought it.

I wouldn't be opposed to giving the car to the person, but any service work really can't be afforded on their end, and sooner or later due to service the car most likely won't last that long anyways. Like I said before, long story...
Maybe your used car market is different than ours, but a low mileage Honda like that here would still sell for several thousand here. The cost of the service to replace the belt and water pump is much less than buying the equivalent replacement car.

Maybe your used car market is different than ours, but a low mileage Honda like that here would still sell for several thousand here. The cost of the service to replace the belt and water pump is much less than buying the equivalent replacement car.
I think if we ever decide to sell, we could recoup a decent amount of money we spent on the car.

You have to know my personality though with vehicles. Pay cash for used, If it runs and it's been somewhat reliable, I generally do not sell a car, but run it into the ground (my wife made me get rid of our avalon with 396K on the odometer because it had too many "tricks" for her LOL). I donated that one.

For myself and my wife, a vehicle is to get to point A to point B, and knowing what you need it for.

Between my wife and I, we have 4 vehicles now not including my company truck and our son's car (we're keeping it for him since he's away in Texas in the Air Force).

My boss says it must be nice to be rich to have so many cars. I ask him how many he has and he tells me 2, truck for him and SUV for wife. His total cost on 2 vehicles is 100k

$15K for our truck with 68K when bought, now 215K on the odometer
$15K for our SUV with 73K when bought, now has 235K on the odometer
$5k for the accord withh 91K when bought, now about 126K on the odometer
My dad left me his car when he passed away. Kind of a sporty V6 coupe my dad wanted to have fun with, so it's basically a "freebie", but one I will never part with.

So, as I explained to my boss, that's 3 vehicles we paid a total of 35K, with about 379K driven on them, and he has two vehicles that were 100K paid, with less than 40K driven, so who is the rich man? LOL

I'd much rather pay cash for a used vehicle, have no loan and just be careful how much I put into the car for total miles driven.

Since my wife wanted to downsize, I was putting off the belt off on the honda because we don't drive it much and that would be the first vehicle she wants gone. Now that it's being driven by someone the last couple of months, I'm wondering about it, and starting to think I should bite the bullet and get it done, because if it does break, the vehicle would be scrap for the most part. Added reality is at this point, honestly don't know when we're getting the vehicle back anyways so it could just be money thrown away as well.

Sorry for the long winded explination, but hopefully gives you some insite into my line of thinking.

/ Question on vehicles timing belt #17  
Honda has slightly different specs on different models, but my recollection was 90-100k for the belt but they also had the lesser known caveat of 7-8 yrs on it too, if I remember the range correctly. I don't recall the exact figure, but pretty sure it was under 10. Just to put a number to it. Could look it up I'm sure...

/ Question on vehicles timing belt #18  
$5k for the accord withh 91K when bought, now about 126K on the odometer
That is still low mileage for an Accord if it is otherwise in decent condition (not a rusted out, dented up beater)
Since my wife wanted to downsize, I was putting off the belt off on the honda because we don't drive it much and that would be the first vehicle she wants gone. Now that it's being driven by someone the last couple of months, I'm wondering about it, and starting to think I should bite the bullet and get it done, because if it does break, the vehicle would be scrap for the most part. Added reality is at this point, honestly don't know when we're getting the vehicle back anyways so it could just be money thrown away as well.
Depends----if they actually need a reliable car, how else could you provide them with a reliable car with 126k miles on it as inexpensively as paying for a new belt/pump?

If you have the time and skills to do the replacement yourself, the parts for the timing belt/pump kit aren't that expensive.

But part of me wonders if you actually think the someone needs the car? If they actually don't, my thought is to get it back, replace the belt/pump at your leisure.

It would aggravate me a lot if I let someone use a car that was functional, but the engine got ruined because of lack of maintaining the timing belt.

If you have the time and skills to do the replacement yourself, the parts for the timing belt/pump kit aren't that expensive.

But part of me wonders if you actually think the someone needs the car? If they actually don't, my thought is to get it back, replace the belt/pump at your leisure.

It would aggravate me a lot if I let someone use a car that was functional, but the engine got ruined because of lack of maintaining the timing belt.
Lately, both my wife and I are blessed. Most likely 100-150 hours or more a week between us for work.

I make money to find someone I trust to make my life easier so I don't have to do the work myself at times. I know a mechanic I can trust and we already talked about doing this, and his rate is reasonable IMO.

The family member who has the car REALLY needs the car.

That said, you ever have family that makes unwise decisions? Particularly if that family member is through marriage?

Sidenote, luckily it's not the in laws. Both my MIL and FIL are great people whom I love dearly (FIL passed away a couple of years ago). In part, I'm doing this for my FIL.

Since the person NEEDS the car, I've already told my wife to get the car back to us so I can take care of the timing belt and water pump (those two always go hand in hand if you're doing the work).

What's funny is my wife was wondering how we could get the car back being it's two hours away (how do we drive down there, pick up the car and then drive back home). I told my wife we're not driving down there, they are driving the car to us and they can spend the night. Since we're paying for the car to be more reliable, the least they can do IMO.

/ Question on vehicles timing belt #20  
Changing a timing belt is not usually high degree of expertise repair. It just not usually a lot of fun.

If you don't have enough experience, and enough tools, it can be challenging.

Some fasteners are difficult to get to, especially if you don't have a lift.

You may benefit greatly from swivel sockets, and middle depth sockets, for getting to some fasteners.

Also, adjusting the tensioner can be critical on some vehicles. My Villager tensioner stud broke TWICE, because the guy I had change the belt, just winged it, instead of learning and following the recommended procedure. I did the job myself, like I usually do, after the second time, and funny, there was no longer an issue.

Do your homework. I'm sure there are lots of video's on that belt change. Learn as much as you can before hand.