Pulled pork sandwiches today

/ Pulled pork sandwiches today #1  

Tazz

Bronze Member
Tractor
TC29D
Big'ol 8 Lb. chunk of pork butt was tossed in the smoker last night around 2am. This morning at 8am the outside temp was 38f and the pork was sitting at 165. I always wrap it in foil to retain the moisture and get through the stall a little faster so this should be ready by lunch time. At a $1 Lb. I couldn't say no. Now to choose the sides.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    586.6 KB · Views: 277
   / Pulled pork sandwiches today #2  
My cup of yogurt for lunch never looked so unappetizing as it does now, compared to that! :(

:laughing:

/ Pulled pork sandwiches today #3  
I cooked one earlier and all I have left of it is enough for 1 sandwich today. I'll have to start another one. I plan on 12 hours from the time I put it on to when it's ready. I've been offered a free smoker that has electronic controls so I can put it on the night before, to get it is a 4 hour trip and a friendly competition to see how different smokers compare. It's a few weeks off yet, but I'll let y'all know.

BTW, In my first experience where I had to shred the pork I used regular kitchen forks. I now use the big Bear Claws, it works so much better - they're easier to use, quicker, and produces a more consistent "shred" of the pork.

/ Pulled pork sandwiches today
I don't know if it's cheating or not but I bought an Auber temperature controller and fan for my small Brinkmann smoker. Designed by engineers for some other industry they soon realized there is a market for them with the BBQ community. I set the temp and it cycles a fan on and off to narrow down the smoker temp within 2 degrees and often nails it right on the money. Now I just load it up with lump charcoal and let it go for an easy 8 hours. No worries.

Bear claws are the way to go!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    586.6 KB · Views: 230
  • 1pp2.jpg
    1pp2.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 226
   / Pulled pork sandwiches today #6  
It's not cheating. The pellet smokers are nice but I don't like being tied to a narrow fuel choice.

That temp controller and fan set-up would be good for my Weber. My prob is always temp fluctuation with charcoal. My electric Masterbuilt is good at temp, but bad at producing smoke.

And the pork butts have been running $1.80 plus. And even the shank is over $1.00.

/ Pulled pork sandwiches today #7  
My cup of yogurt for lunch never looked so unappetizing as it does now, compared to that! :(

:laughing:

Yeah, I know the feeling. We just made some Kraft Mac & Cheese.........:stirthepot:

/ Pulled pork sandwiches today #8  
I don't know if it's cheating or not but I bought an Auber temperature controller and fan for my small Brinkmann smoker. Designed by engineers for some other industry they soon realized there is a market for them with the BBQ community. I set the temp and it cycles a fan on and off to narrow down the smoker temp within 2 degrees and often nails it right on the money. Now I just load it up with lump charcoal and let it go for an easy 8 hours. No worries.

Bear claws are the way to go!

So how do you like the temp controller? Is it worth the cost? My SIL is thinking about getting one but hasn't decided yet.

/ Pulled pork sandwiches today #9  
I’ve got a BBQ Guru controller, and I can’t imagine giving it up. My smoker runs lump charcoal and can go 18-24 hours at 225 degrees regardless of outdoor temp, but it is insulated.

/ Pulled pork sandwiches today
So how do you like the temp controller? Is it worth the cost? My SIL is thinking about getting one but hasn't decided yet.

It's worth every penny for me especially during those long smoking times of 10+ hours. To be able to feed people at a reasonable time and not having to get up every two or three hours to find the smoker burning away at 300 or dropped down to 90 while I was sleeping or out shopping was enough for me.

There are several different companies that make these type controllers and I suggest you go to their websites and download the owners manuals to see all the functions before you buy one. My Aurber is easy once I figured out the sequence of setting the temp but it has some serious programming functions for custom temperature curves. Like I said it was designed for fluid/air control and not for the average BBQ type with a fork in one hand and beer in the other. But hey, engineers enjoy good BBQ too! :) and the price was right and it works well.

Edit: It looks like the new models might be much more user friendly. Smoker Controllers : Auber Instruments, Inc., Temperature control solutions for home and industry