Pulled pork sandwiches today

/ Pulled pork sandwiches today #41  
These were amazing. The only thing I did differently was to elevate them from the drip pan, no need for them to finish soaking wet in the bacon grease. (I put 3 forks under the basket)

At lunch time I put a couple in the toaster oven as a test. They were just OK. Wasn’t real impressed but I knew I didn’t want them sitting in their own grease.

On the egg they came out awesome.

IMG_2028.JPG

/ Pulled pork sandwiches today #42  
I love those things cooked on the Egg; I put a "Little Smokey" cocktail sausage in each one, though.

/ Pulled pork sandwiches today #43  
I love those things cooked on the Egg; I put a "Little Smokey" cocktail sausage in each one, though.

Kind of like pig shots, a buddy of mine says these are even better than poppers. Your way might be the best of both recipes.

/ Pulled pork sandwiches today
Well this is crazy. I bought another 8Lb butt a $1/Lb and was going to try a lower and slower method without foil at 200f until 160 internal then bump it up to 225 until done. Tossed it in the smoker at 2am and it started hitting the stall around 8am at 160f..... and there it sat until 5pm with the temp only rising to 170. I couldn't take it any longer so I wrapped it in foil and now 17 hours after starting it's finally up to 185.

It ended up being an 18 hour smoke for this thing. I measure the smoker temp at grill level same as the pork. It's very humid here with light drizzle. If I didn't wrap it I expect it would take 24 hours. I pulled it off at 195 internal because the temp probe was going in like warm butter.

Surprisingly I didn't lose much of the bark using the foil and the 99% of the fat inside had rendered into pure flavor without drying out.

Unbelievable. If I try this lower and slower method again I'll start earlier so it will be done by the next day.

I loaded up the coal pan with a local grocery store (HEB) generic lump charcoal, 8Lbs.?, and it easily lasted 14 hours before adding a little more to finish the job.

I've been thinking about adding a small recirculation fan to make the smoker like a convection oven and limit any hot/cold spots. I typically use 2 smoker temp probes in different locations and they're always within 5 degrees of each other.

/ Pulled pork sandwiches today #45  
I cooked one earlier and all I have left of it is enough for 1 sandwich today. I'll have to start another one. I plan on 12 hours from the time I put it on to when it's ready. I've been offered a free smoker that has electronic controls so I can put it on the night before, to get it is a 4 hour trip and a friendly competition to see how different smokers compare. It's a few weeks off yet, but I'll let y'all know.

BTW, In my first experience where I had to shred the pork I used regular kitchen forks. I now use the big Bear Claws, it works so much better - they're easier to use, quicker, and produces a more consistent "shred" of the pork.

Try using a pastry blender if Cooked properly it will shred the pork into perfect uniform pieces perfect for a sandwich