Pulled pork sandwiches today

/ Pulled pork sandwiches today #21  
I was under the impression that you couldn't freeze a piece of pork that large. Do you do anything to special to freeze it (other than just putting it in a residential freezer?) How do you thaw it? Does this work the same way as a turkey?

I just throw it in the freezer, pull it out 2 days before I plan to smoke it. Nothing special, been doing it that way for years.

I do rinse before seasoning, as mentioned above. Sometimes they’re a bit of bone fragments stuck to them.

/ Pulled pork sandwiches today #22  
Oh man, great thread.... looking to upgrade my smoker

:reading: :reading:

/ Pulled pork sandwiches today #23  
Oh man, great thread.... looking to upgrade my smoker

:reading: :reading:

What are you looking to get? Electric, stick burner, charcoal/ceramic, pellet, UDS (Ugly Drum Smoker)?

I used my PK grill for years until the grates burned out of it. I haven't replaced them yet, but really should get on that. I miss charcoal cooking. I currently use my Grilla Silverbac for everything. It's a pellet smoker, I love the set-it-and-forget-it mentality of these things. Summer weekend, I'll season up a pork shoulder, throw it on at 225*, go for a nice hike with my wife and pup, eat lunch on the top of a mountain, hike back to the truck, come home to a nice smoked butt. Usually it's time to take it off the smoker, I'll wrap it in foil, drop it in a cooler, let it rest a bit while we shower up. Then it's dinner time.

It's so easy, and the food is delicious. Even just raw chicken tenders or breasts. Throw them on at 350* for a fast cook, they come out much more tender than on a propane grill. Great for pulled chicken sammiches, or brush on some BBQ sauce 30 minutes prior to finishing. I've forgotten about them and took them to 175* before (oops! usually take them off at 160*) and they were still tender.

The Grilla Facebook group is an awesome bunch of people, even if you don't have a Grilla product. It's called "My Grilla Grill Smoker"

The number one reason I went with it- customer service. Lots of times when you call, you get the owner/designer of the product. He's awesome, his staff are awesome, they stand behind their product.

/ Pulled pork sandwiches today #24  
What are you looking to get? Electric, stick burner, charcoal/ceramic, pellet, UDS (Ugly Drum Smoker)? .

Well I am not sure, I was thinking pellet or electric but I am just starting to look into them.

/ Pulled pork sandwiches today #25  
Well I am not sure, I was thinking pellet or electric but I am just starting to look into them.

I'd suggest finding a few Facebook groups. There's a learning curve to each. Example- when I first got my Grilla Silverbac pellet pooper, I cooked wings at 225* to get a smoky flavor. It worked, but it turned the skin into leather. Enough so that I just peeled it off and didn't eat it. Seems like most people that have pellet smokers will smoke for about 30-45minutes, then crank up the heat to 350-400* to crisp the skin. It also helps if you take the wings out and lay them on a cooking grate in the fridge overnight to get any excess moisture off them, maybe coat with a thin layer of oil, season, then put them on.

There's definitely a learning curve, so don't be afraid to experiment. As they say: "ya gotta burn to learn."

/ Pulled pork sandwiches today #26  

I've been thinking the same. I have a Masterbuilt electric like this https://www.lowes.com/pd/Masterbuil...gkl724cQ6XWJMZAteHRoCc8kQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds.

I got it at a garage sale for $40 almost new. But it doesn't produce enough smoke except at high temps. An the electric controller doesn't seem to be keeping an even temp anymore. My friend bought a Masterbuilt with the electronic control and external wood feeder but when the electronics died in 2 years it was useless.

TSC has a small pellet smoker for $300, but then you are again a slave to the reliability of the electronic controls and a form of fuel you have to purchase.

A side-box stick burner makes most sense, especially if you retro fit it with a temp control fan. Then if the temp controller fails it's cheaper to replace.

And I agree with the 195-205 degrees to cook a pork butt. Smoke for 2-3 hrs and wrap it at about 165 to retain moisture. Also either brine it or at least dry rub brine it overnight.

/ Pulled pork sandwiches today #27  
Anyone have experience with the residential Cookshack brand? They have a commercial line as well, so hoping the residential line has some good DNA

Smokers & Grills - Cookshack BBQ

/ Pulled pork sandwiches today #29  
Goeduck you are looking at some serious $$$.

My expectation is that well built equipment lasts longer. Plus I like to cook.