3-Point Hitch PTO size?

/ PTO size? #1  

panorth

Tractor
Yanmar 240
Just bought a Yanmar 240 with "850" hours. I know something about diesels by way of too many years of big boat ownership. However, I don't know a **** thing about tractors. Fortunately I did receive a couple of manuals with the tractor that had been provided by Hoye. Tractor seems to run fine and I am skimming the manuals.

My neighbor has a Kubota BX24 with all the attachment toys. Will his attachments fit my Yanmar 240? Are they both class 1 pto's?

Thanks for any help.

/ PTO size? #2  
panorth,welcome to this forum.lot of great info here.because both tractors are pretty close to engine and pto HP I would think anything he has would work for you. If you are thinking of finish mowers or bush hog I would't go over 4'.both have cat.1 hitchs. russ

/ PTO size?
Thanks for the reply Russ. I actually have my eye on the neighbors backhoe to do some drainage work. I have big plans for my Yanmar 240 to help me grade a spot for my 42'x28' boat barn and may even use it to raise the frames using a socketsystems.com framework.

/ PTO size? #4  
Be careful with the backhoe. I have seen tractors literally break in half using one on a 3pt hitch. Special subframes make it all work so much better.

/ PTO size? #5  
I have a YM240. Back in the day, a US made 3-point backhoe was a dealer option. And the identical US hoe was also sold by Kubota dealers as their 'Kubota' backhoe.

Here's my rig, YM240 with its correct backhoe. (But the hoe is in Kubota colors, as are my oversize rear tire rims).

149085d1261209880-new-discovery-cold-start-p1570114r640digstump.jpg

Note that backhoe is smaller than the one sold today on Kubota's BX series. I think the present BX hoe is frame-mount, which is much more rugged than a 3-point attachment. I expect you will find there is no easy way to put the BX hoe in a YM240.

All the other Category 1 implements should interchange, however.

Last edited:
   / PTO size?
Thanks California, I'll have to take a closer look at my neighbors rig I suspect your right. I did spot an aftermarket backhoe on Craigslist for $2000 that seemed like it would work but it was sold before I contacted them. Oh well, I'll keep looking. Thanks

/ PTO size? #7  
panorth,as said if you get a bh you should mount it on a subframe.I 'm thinking some of the Kubota models have bh that are permanent and can't be taken off.not sure about your neighabor's model. russ

/ PTO size? #8  
panorth,as said if you get a bh you should mount it on a subframe.I 'm thinking some of the Kubota models have bh that are permanent and can't be taken off.not sure about your neighabor's model. russ

The BX24 has a removable hoe. My neighbor has one and i checked out the 4 point mounting subframe. 4 pins and some hydraulic hoses are all there is. I know for a fact that the BX hoe wont fit the Yanmar. Does your Yanmar have a FEL? When using a hoe, it is best to have a FEL since having it flat on the ground will add stability if you were doing some heavy lifting with the hoe. all your neighbors 3 point implements more than likely will fit your Yanmar.