PTO shaft

/ PTO shaft #1  

Hughman

Gold Member
Tractor
NH TC33DA
I just picked up a new WinCo 15kw generator and need to shorten the shaft a bit. This is the first one I've ever seen that has an internal safety cable that keeps the two halves from separating. Is this a new thing?

/ PTO shaft #2  
I have never seen that, nor do I understand how that would provide any safety. Is it possible that it's just a shipping thing to keep the shaft ends together?

/ PTO shaft
I think it is only a safety thing for when it's not attached on both ends. No mention of it in the manual. Just a picture of it on the side of the plastic shield. To shorten the shaft I need to figure how to disconnect it. I guess the cable would need to be shortened as well. Probably just toss it when I figure how to take it apart. I lived this long without ever having one.

/ PTO shaft #4  
I think it is only a safety thing for when it's not attached on both ends. No mention of it in the manual. Just a picture of it on the side of the plastic shield. To shorten the shaft I need to figure how to disconnect it. I guess the cable would need to be shortened as well. Probably just toss it when I figure how to take it apart. I lived this long without ever having one.

I would be interested in seeing a picture of that cable setup if it's not too much trouble.
I also have a WinCo 15kw generator, and really like it.

/ PTO shaft
Got it apart and took an inch off either side. The wire was short enough to still be functional so I left it in place.

Attachments

• PXL_20240223_213459217.jpg
    PXL_20240223_213459217.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 61
  • PXL_20240223_212016744.jpg
    PXL_20240223_212016744.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 63
   / PTO shaft #6  
Perhaps a new "safety" feature designed by lawyers with no practical experience.

@TimberXX recently posted that he had a generator and couldn't get the PTO shaft apart.

Ultimately it would be handy to not lose half a PTO shaft. I've bought used and auction equipment that inevitably comes with half a PTO shaft. Then one is scrambling to find a matching half shaft.

/ PTO shaft #7  
How did you get it apart if the wire was short enough?

/ PTO shaft
The whole point of the wire is that it won't come apart. After you disconnect the safety cover and slide it towards the middle, there is a split pin at each end behind the yokes that goes through the loops at the ends of the wire. You use a drift punch and hammer to drive out the pin.

/ PTO shaft #10  
I cannot imagine that lasting more than a few seconds if the driveshaft wants to separate. It would serve a purpose as a keeper though.

Last edited: