PTO Shaft Extender

/ PTO Shaft Extender #11  
I have a new PTO chipper/shredder. I have Pat's Easy Change quick hitch on my lower links. The added 4" m/l of Pat's render the PTO shaft that came with the chipper too short. I would prefer not to have to take Pat's on and off when using the chipper/shredder. Part of the concern is that the chipper/shredder PTO connection point is a smooth shaft with a key lock which fits into a female adapter on the implement side of the PTO shaft.

I have a call in to the manufacturer to see what they say but am considering a few options on my own. First is a PTO shaft extender like the one below. It would extend the shaft length 4.5". I would only need to use it for this one implement.

The chipper shredder will be on the ground when the PTO is turning so there is no worry of bouncing around, etc. Since the the extender basically balances out Pat's extra length it seems that it will not be changing the PTO angle without Pat's and the extender (if I am thinking correctly). Further the chipper/shredder will get some use but only intermittently and not like running a tiller all day. So anything I should be concerned about?

Any better solutions?

PTO Extender Link.

View attachment 747376
I used one of these when I added Pat's Easy Change to a Deere 790....think I also used it on the Deere 4400 when I traded the 790.
This was also for using a wood chipper, BTW...in my case, a Woods 5000 (better know as Bearcat nowadays)
Cheap (about 20 bucks) and worked great.
The shortest length of a PTO driveshaft is when both the implement and tractor stub shaft are at the same height...so, if you buy the extender, make sure it works at that height.
Since some guys brought up quick hitches, both the Pat's system and QH extend the lower links about the same (4" or a bit). I have a QH now for ease of hooking up the top link, but the Pat's system is actually more versatile

/ PTO Shaft Extender #12  
Getting to the party a little late. I have the same extender you pictured and use it with my wood chipper and rotary cutter due to the Pat's. Works fine and have had zero issues for a number of years. Glad to see you ordered it. Good luck.

/ PTO Shaft Extender #13  
Then again you could purchase an L3 or L4
pipe to replace the one you have should be
less that $50
1654306006529.png

willy

/ PTO Shaft Extender
Then again you could purchase an L3 or L4
pipe to replace the one you have should be
less that $50
View attachment 748841
willy
I thought about that but had never taken a pto shaft end apart before and wasn't in the mood to experiment. I liked the idea of that option, though, since it would not increase the angle of the shaft as the extender would. After seeing how little the extender would change the angle that became a non issue. Also seemed like a good option for not introducing an extra part into the equation but the extender was just too easy of a solution. The extender does give me the option of using with other equipment or not using at all if I hook the shredder/chipper directly without the quick attach.

Is it easy to attach a new shaft like you suggested?

Last edited:
   / PTO Shaft Extender #15  
There is a roll pin that holds the yoke on
and you need to punch that out then remove
the yoke then I cut the pipe out then took it to a machine shop and they pressed the tube in and then put in the roll pin replace cover all done.
$65 40 inch tube In my sawsall i had some metal cutting blades junk purchased some Milwaukee metal cutting blades one blade did the job and I threw the 3 other brands in the trash so dull they would not cut wood

willy

Last edited: