PTO Generator question

/ PTO Generator question #1  

Bansil

Gold Member
Tractor
1967 Ford 5000 w/FEL(sold), 1950 Farmall Super A for the wife to drive around (needs fixed) 2024 Kubota B2601 FEL & BH
Looking to pick 1 up, problem is hp rating@

7200 watt is 14 hp, that's not much better than my gas genie

12000 watt is 24 hp, this would be ideal

But my tractor is 19.5 hp, can I use the bigger one? At reduced capacity? Like 10000 watts

/ PTO Generator question #2  
USUALLY you can run a PTO generator with an engine with less than the required horsepower.
For example I ran my Winco 12KW PTO generator a bit with my B7610, but only to make sure it worked.

/ PTO Generator question #3  
Yes,it would put out what your engine is capable of.A 19.5 hp should put out 10K on a 12K Gen set or close.
My 10K PTO powers my whole house/garage/well/furnace ect.
He may peak out under high use;not a problem.

/ PTO Generator question
I.figured it would work from what I was seeing.

Thanks!

I will order it and a shaft.

I thought of building a dog house for it since it will be crappy weather when it's needed,

/ PTO Generator question #5  
The generator is a load for the tractor. The more you ask of the generator (the more wattage) the harder your tractor has work. At some point your tractor won't have the balls to run the gen and the tractor will start to bog down. Then voltage (and Hz will drop). That's bad.
Be careful of the dog house, it will generate a lot of heat.

/ PTO Generator question
Okay, I will check only the "critical" needs and I don't have to have the freezers on continuous, so I may go with the 7200 that's 3000watts more than we use now, and better in tractor, good info!! Thanks.

And doghouse will actually be big, wife said to get a small carport to park tractor and generator under :unsure:

Last edited:
   / PTO Generator question #7  
like steve tym said, you could hook up a 25kw generator and it would work but when you get over 10kw of load you will lose rpm HZ and volts will drop and you may scrap a few electrical appliances in your house. depending what is running when the voltage drops.

I had a engine powered generator that the previous owner left with the house that ran but it seemed slow so I turned up the rpm back to the rated 3600 rpm, what I didn't know at the time was that something was wrong with the electrical part and it had been turned down to output the correct voltage but then the hz were wrong. so when I turned it up I had correct hz but my 110 volts was more like 180 volts. blew up a microwave and a few battery tender chargers before I realized what was happening. luckily the fridges, water pump, and furnace fan didn't seem to mind.

they are designed to run outside in the weather, just keep them out of the weather when they are not being used.

/ PTO Generator question #8  
I would take a look at what you're actually using. I have a 10kw wired directly into the main panel and it runs everything, but i got a meter and look at what i'm actually using, in real time, and it's not really much. The only real increases are the microwave, air fryer, etc. Even my minisplit ac unit is only 1kw, or my furnace is about 300w. My fridge and freezer are about 100w each when they're running.

I bought this to monitor my usage and it's been awesome. I have it on 24/7 sitting on my desk so I can see what I'm using.

W4mCPJH.jpg

/ PTO Generator question #9  
I got to try out my generator hookup a month ago when we lost power for 6 hours. I’ve had this little 6250 peak / 5000 steady Black Max gas engine generator for about 15 years. It’s always been a pain to drag it out during storms, and running extension cords, so I seldom did. Fortunately, we haven’t had any outages longer than 8 hours in that period.

Last winter, I picked up a 30 amp plug from Home Depot, and made up a cord so that I could run it into the 220 volt 30 amp welder outlet, out in my shop. It worked perfectly, during that 6 hour outage, easily running my freezer, (2) fridges, sump pump, several lights, and a tv in the house. I have a wood stove for heat, so I didn’t need it for heat.

I have a porch on the shop, so I could keep it out of the driving rain. It took less than 5 minutes to turn off the main and get all the needed circuits up and running. When I saw the streetlights come back on, indicating that grid power was back, reversing that process took less than 5 minutes.

It seems to me that a larger generator would be overkill for my needs, and a tractor driven pto one would more than double my outage “response time”.

IMG_3861.jpeg

IMG_3863.jpeg

/ PTO Generator question #10  
You (and others) presume that all the power capacity will be called on at exactly the same time (as in startup). But who actually does this ? Dryer, microwave, stove, A/C, all the garage door openers, well, etc. all waiting in the wings for you to fire it up, or do you think you could manage staging your power needs ? If you apply some common sense, that major startup load won't happen. I ran a 45 kW Winpower with a 22 h.p. Yanmar because heat and water are kinda nice in winter. Now it runs off 35 hp and the governor never complains about the load. I don't/can't run the A/C because it's on a radio controlled meter. And when the power goes out, the radio control has it shut off anyways. Plus I tend to not run the A/C for cooling in Winter.