Pto driven wagon

/ Pto driven wagon #1  

clear cut kerr

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 50
Massey Ferguson used to have a wagon that had the wheels driven by the tractor ground pto.Can you still find something like this today ?

/ Pto driven wagon #2  
tractor ground pto

This is very unclear to me. Please clarify.

WHERE ARE YOU LOCATED?

Last edited:
   / Pto driven wagon #3  
They are available in Europe, I have seen some recent video of small scale logging operations using them.

What are they?

A wagon, built on a "typical differential axle" With it's drive shaft input connected to a ground speed driven pto from the tractor. Some of these driven wagons have an input speed selector gearbox to best match various tractors/ wheel size/ ground conditions etc.

My Hurlimann 435 has a ground driven pto selection option that would be suitable for a driven wagon application.

/ Pto driven wagon #4  
I dunno….. it seems like it would be difficult to mesh the wagon driven speed to the tractor travel speed……

But then, maybe I’m not the smartest person in the world either

/ Pto driven wagon #7  
I dunno….. it seems like it would be difficult to mesh the wagon driven speed to the tractor travel speed……

But then, maybe I’m not the smartest person in the world either
It doesn't need to match perfectly, "Over driven" slightly works well on soft surfaces. There would be no need for the feature on good traction conditions.

Heck, the drive speed between front wheels and rear on a 4WD tractor are not perfectly matched.
Fronts usually want just a bit extra speed over the ground than the rears to make steering easy.

/ Pto driven wagon #8  
I have not seen it myself but a guy I worked with for years told me about the Mennonites taking old truck frames to make trailers and connecting the drive shaft to the PTO. Said they could get some real speed doing that, claimed they did it so they could get to and from town quicker.

Like I said I never saw it myself.

/ Pto driven wagon #9  
I have not seen it myself but a guy I worked with for years told me about the Mennonites taking old truck frames to make trailers and connecting the drive shaft to the PTO. Said they could get some real speed doing that, claimed they did it so they could get to and from town quicker.

Like I said I never saw it myself.

A 540 shaft with standard truck rear end gears won’t go very fast. Probably not as fast as the tractors stock gears will go.

/ Pto driven wagon #10  
A 540 shaft with standard truck rear end gears won’t go very fast. Probably not as fast as the tractors stock gears will go.
It would be about as fast as the truck would have been at a low idle in whatever gear gave it a 1:1 ratio on the transmission.