PTO Drive shaft problem (my latest issue)

/ PTO Drive shaft problem (my latest issue) #21  
Basically, if the pto shaft turns, but the blades (or technically the input shaft of the mower’s gearbox) do not turn. then the shear bolt has sheared. It’s done it’s job of breaking, when the mower blades hit something, so other expensive parts don’t break.

If the input shaft to the mower’s gearbox turns with the pto shaft, but the blades don’t turn, then the gearbox is broke.

/ PTO Drive shaft problem (my latest issue) #22  
Does the drive shaft spin smoothly with no wobble? If it
wobbles you could have a bad u-joint as they need grease to
keep from seizing up.

willy

/ PTO Drive shaft problem (my latest issue) #23  
There are only two types of PTO latch.

1) Button 2) pull-back collar.

If you do not have the button, you have the pull-back collar type.

VIDEOS:

There is a third type. It's a collar type that the collar is knurled and the collar rotates instead of pulling back. I have a couple of this type.

/ PTO Drive shaft problem (my latest issue)
Had the Kubota guy out today. It is the PTO engagement cable. It had to be ordered as none were in stock for this tractor model.

/ PTO Drive shaft problem (my latest issue) #25  
So the issue was that it was not engaging completely?

/ PTO Drive shaft problem (my latest issue) #27  
That was a question. She said it was a cable. The only thing that I can think of that would make that kind of racket on a PTO that is cable related is if it was partially engaging.

/ PTO Drive shaft problem (my latest issue) #28  
Pretty obvious: There is a bolt dropping directly down from the top link that is hitting the drive shaft. You can see the crease in the plastic. I can imagine the racket this makes with a rectangular shaft section internal to the plastic cover.
Rotate the top link so this bolt doesn't make contact no matter what position the lower links are in. My guess is that the bolt was added to help you rotate the top link in order to set height, angle, whatever, on other attachments. It may actually be locked in this position by a jam nut. Rotate the top link 90 degrees in either direction and try to find out how to now lock the thing from turning on it's own. Sometimes there is an oblong washer looking deal that is threaded and used to lock out any top link rotation.

The contact force may have been so severe that it pulled the shaft off of the tractor a bit, or even bent 1 or more parts.

• Good Post
Reactions: bgr
   / PTO Drive shaft problem (my latest issue) #29  
That was a question. She said it was a cable. The only thing that I can think of that would make that kind of racket on a PTO that is cable related is if it was partially engaging.
I know it was a question. The same one I was thinking of. I can just imagine what the gear dogs look like after 1 minute of "partially engaging". Time will tell. Hopefully everything will be fine for the OP.