PTO and Powershift tranny question

/ PTO and Powershift tranny question #1  

etpm

Veteran Member
Tractor
yanmar ym2310
Hi All,
I have a YM2310. I also have a 5 foot Bush Hog rotary mower. I am finished with the thing and never intended to use it again. However, a small job has come up for it. On my Ford 9N I have an over run clutch for the Bush Hog so that it doesn't push the tractor around. The clutch won't fit the Yanmar because of different splines. I don't wanna buy another clutch just for one job. So, if the Powershift transmission is in neutral will the Bush Hog still drive the tractor along like it would the Ford before I installed the last clutch?
Thanks,
Eric

/ PTO and Powershift tranny question #2  
Yanmar's internal over-run clutch on the US models works same as your external one on the Ford. Does the 2310 have this?

Last edited:
   / PTO and Powershift tranny question #3  
I believe the mower inertia will push your 2310 whether in or out of gear. The 2310 does not have the internal over run clutch.

/ PTO and Powershift tranny question #4  
So, if the Powershift transmission is in neutral will the Bush Hog still drive the tractor along like it would the Ford before I installed the last clutch?

It will not. Slipping the powershift into neutral will prevent the mower from pushing the tractor.

/ PTO and Powershift tranny question #5  
It will not. Slipping the powershift into neutral will prevent the mower from pushing the tractor.
Absolutely right.

(y)

/ PTO and Powershift tranny question #6  
Hi All,
I have a YM2310. I also have a 5 foot Bush Hog rotary mower. I am finished with the thing and never intended to use it again. However, a small job has come up for it. On my Ford 9N I have an over run clutch for the Bush Hog so that it doesn't push the tractor around. The clutch won't fit the Yanmar because of different splines. I don't wanna buy another clutch just for one job. So, if the Powershift transmission is in neutral will the Bush Hog still drive the tractor along like it would the Ford before I installed the last clutch?
Thanks,
Eric
Eric,
Are you finished with the mower or the YM2310? I can read it either way.

As for the YM2310, it's in the same realm as the Ford 8N. My neighbor keeps eyeing my YM2610 with the PowerShift as it allowing for a live PTO vs his Ford 8N. Plus the Yanmar is a diesel. His 8N has limitations to the Ym2610, even to a YM2310.

/ PTO and Powershift tranny question
Eric,
Are you finished with the mower or the YM2310? I can read it either way.

As for the YM2310, it's in the same realm as the Ford 8N. My neighbor keeps eyeing my YM2610 with the PowerShift as it allowing for a live PTO vs his Ford 8N. Plus the Yanmar is a diesel. His 8N has limitations to the Ym2610, even to a YM2310.
Yeah, I'm done with the Bush Hog after this last job. It is going to be sold along with the 9N.
Eric

Thank you, I really appreciate the quick answer.
Eric

Absolutely right.

(y)
Thanks to you too. The folks here on TBN have been really helpful. Especially for people who own and use Grey market and old equipment. I tell others about TBN as often as possible. Nice people, lotsa good advice, and almost no politics.
Eric

/ PTO and Powershift tranny question #10  
The problem with the powershift is that you have to wait for the mower to stop spinning because when you go from neutral to drive it will catch and put a huge strain on your PTO
I would just buy a clutch and put it on, that way you will always be ready for another job, and its cheap insurance.
If you break the spider gears or ring & pinion you wont be happy.:cry:
Buy the clutch !! ;)