PT sized Hedge Clippers

/ PT sized Hedge Clippers #1  

Charlie_Iliff

Veteran Member
Tractor
Power Trac PT1845, John Deere 2240, John Deere 950, John Deere 755, Jacobsen Turf Cat II
A few years back I started to build a boom mounted string trimmer for horse trail maintenance. I gave up when it became clear it wouldn't do the job. If it stays together, this one will.
But, as the second picture shows, it still may be considered work.:(

Attachments

• P7100001.JPG
    P7100001.JPG
    89.2 KB · Views: 254
  • P7100005.JPG
    P7100005.JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 237
   / PT sized Hedge Clippers #2  
Charlie_Iliff said:
A few years back I started to build a boom mounted string trimmer for horse trail maintenance. I gave up when it became clear it wouldn't do the job. If it stays together, this one will.
But, as the second picture shows, it still may be considered work.:(

Looks awesome. I haven't seen a sickle bar mower in 20 years. Is it driven by a hydraulic motor?

After enlarging the photo, I see the hydraulic hoses. How big is the hyd motor?

/ PT sized Hedge Clippers
J_J said:
Looks awesome. I haven't seen a sickle bar mower in 20 years. Is it driven by a hydraulic motor?

After enlarging the photo, I see the hydraulic hoses. How big is the hyd motor?

The motor is one we had lying around which came off a county brush hog. I don't know exact size, but we put a variable valve in to control its speed. We use it at near dead slow. The sickle bar was originally a John Deere belly mount PTO unit. On the PT it will cut horizontal from ground up to 6', and vertical from ground up to 11'. And, of course, any angle from horizontal to vertical.

/ PT sized Hedge Clippers #4  
Nice job. My brother-in-law built a similar sickle mower for his Bobcat and uses it to trim his trees and hedges. It works very well.

Dale

/ PT sized Hedge Clippers #5  
Take that sucker down the road on Halloween!!! :eek:

Pretty cool! :)

/ PT sized Hedge Clippers #6  
Wow!

That is awesome. I would love to build a much smaller one for landscape trimming. Great job!

Sincerely,

Rob :)

/ PT sized Hedge Clippers #7  
Charlie, you are amazing, as is the tool!
I want one to trim the trails around here.
How is the balance?
All the best,
Peter

/ PT sized Hedge Clippers
ponytug said:
How is the balance?

Right now, it twists pretty hard to the right. We plan to put about 200 lb. on the left side.

/ PT sized Hedge Clippers #9  
That is the way to go Charlie, good luck with your invention. You must have a pretty good pit crew there. :)

/ PT sized Hedge Clippers #10  
bubenberg said:
That is the way to go Charlie, good luck with your invention. You must have a pretty good pit crew there. :)

Hans, great to hear from you again.
PJ