Progress!

/ Progress! #1  

Torvy

Tractor
TYM T574H
After 5 months trying to get tangible progress on improving our land we finally have progress...
Before picture...

Attachments

• 20220103_080442.jpg
    20220103_080442.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 426
   / Progress!
After picture...

This is just a start, but very exciting. Need the trees down to build the building where our tractor will live!

Attachments

• 663106400.jpg
    663106400.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 359
   / Progress! #4  
Our front porch was originally built around a 24" 50' bay tree. One night, my wife nudges me and says "What was that noise?", Me: "What noise?" I say. Silence. More silence. "CRACK!, whoosh."
The tree broke about 8' up, and slowly laid itself down lengthwise on the deck, filling the entire deck. I took me all morning to cut it up and clear it. Only a small single dent in the house gutter. We were incredibly lucky. Had the tree broke lower down, or fallen any other direction, it would have been very expensive.

Yes, being in trees is wonderful, but the potential for damage from storms or fire is enormous.

All the best,

Peter

/ Progress!
Thanks, Larry. They dropped about 70 trees. For right now there is only about a 20 foot perimeter. I can manage individual trees once I am on the property. I want to plant at least one tree for every tree I remove. I have plenty of space between the county road and my buildings to safety replant a visual barrier of sorts. I will probably plant some that are denser and shorter than the Loblolly in my 'forest'. Once those are established, we will expand the distance and sell some timber.

/ Progress! #7  
A Texas State Biologist told me that if you went back in time a couple hundred years, East Texas would look completely different. A lot less trees, more space between the trees, and less brush. This is the main reason turkeys don't do well here.

When people moved here, they cleared the land, farmed it, then abandoned the farms and let the land grow back up. From your pictures, your land looks like mine. Super thick. It will take a thousand years for Mother Nature to get it back to where it is supposed to be. Wildfires will clear the understory, the big trees with choke out the small trees, and the native grass will cut down on the weeds.

Ideally, you want to remove 75% to 90% of all the trees on your land if you want it to be "natural"

/ Progress!
Interesting. I wanted the pines for both their beauty and occasional income and/or craft uses. But we had to remove enough for the buildings. I will be cleaning out the underbrush and many of the deciduous trees. We have a few big oaks we will keep.

I look at natural and native differently than some people. Even before people made an appearance, things changed over time. If the climate and the soil will support it and as long as it is not virulent or noxious, I will try some additional species of trees in some places.

I have some open space due to utility easements. We don't want pastures or much in the way of fields. Just an acre or less of food plot. A few paths through the woods and fences to keep our dogs out of the business of others.

/ Progress! #9  
A Texas State Biologist told me that if you went back in time a couple hundred years, East Texas would look completely different. A lot less trees, more space between the trees, and less brush. This is the main reason turkeys don't do well here.
Trying to figure out your turkey comment. You say that the turkeys don't do well because there are now too many trees and brush in your area?

/ Progress! #10  
Trying to figure out your turkey comment. You say that the turkeys don't do well because there are now too many trees and brush in your area?
The turkey issue has a lot of layers to it. There are no turkeys where I live, and there hasn't been any for decades. The demise of wild turkeys is blamed on farming, chemicals and fire ants. The state has been working on ways to reintroduce turkeys to East Texas for a very long time with total failure. About ten years ago, the tried a new method of mass release of birds in an area of ten square miles or more. First they find an area with habitat that they feel will support turkeys. Then they get all the landowners in that area to agree to allow them to monitor and track the turkeys on their land. Basically allowing them onto their land whenever they want to observe them. Once they block in that 6,400 acres or more, then they will release a hundred birds at a time, over several years. Predators take out quite a few of them right away. Then fire ants are blamed for killing chicks when they first hatch. Those that survive are increasing in numbers, but there is a huge drop from the initial release.
Once an area that has been cleared is left alone, it becomes overgrown with trees right on top of each other. Inches apart, and so thick that it is impossible to get through them. Slowly, as they grow, some of those areas will open up a little, but still too thick for an understory to develop. It is not uncommon to have thousands of trees growing on a single acre. I don't know what the ideal number of trees per acre is for wildlife, or what it was hundreds of years ago, but I'm guessing it should be in the dozens of trees per acre instead of thousands.

Wild Hogs do best in super thick woods. Deer struggle and tend to be at the edge of it, where possible. Deer numbers here vary from one per 40 acres in the thicker areas, to four times that many in more open areas, or even more. On my land, I'm creating open pastures of several acres, with wooded areas that open between the bigger trees with small pockets of thick areas. Since doing this, my deer numbers have increased dramatically. I have two pet turkeys and I've thought about getting more and letting them free roam over my place once I get it fenced. I would love to see flocks of turkeys, and in all reality, the only way it's going to happen is if I make it happen.