Progress!

/ Progress! #21  
Long Leaf Pines are an interesting topic and have an ecology all their own. For the Long Leafs to do well requires periodic prescribed burns. The burns control the undergrowth and competition from hardwood trees. The timing of the burns is critical and depends on the weather and the "leaf" litter on the ground. If the litter is to thick and collected around the base of the tree, the fire could kill the roots - even though the trees are resistant to fire. Even the seedlings after 1 to 2 years are fire resistant.

Long leaf are slower growing than short leaf pines so the commercial interest is in the short leaf. There is a Long Leaf Alliance that is promoting the long leaf pines and there are some private landowners that want to see the long leaf pines restored, without them I doubt there'd be much interest in the long leaf pines. Note: long leaf pines are much better poles than short leaf and do command a higher price, but it takes a long time to grow them.
All correct. One of the other reasons for the interest in longleaf Pine restoration is that they provide habitat for the threatened red cockaded woodpecker. And yes, they are slower growing than loblolly and short leaf pines, but they are not that slow growing.

/ Progress! #22  
Putting any tree next to a house could be ill-advised as roots damage foundations.

However, the odds of a healthy forested tree falling on a house is not that great. Can it happen? Sure. A meteorite can fall on your house, too. Solo trees are less protected and more likely to topple. I would be more concerned with being inside the range of branches falling.
Storm damage. Fire. Self-pruning. I didn't even think of foundation damage.

/ Progress! #23  
Storm damage. Fire. Self-pruning. I didn't even think of foundation damage.
There is a tree native to Mexico that is very attractive and used a lot in landscaping around homes here in East Texas. It has a very aggressive root system that causes a lot of foundation issues. I've seem them lift footings under a slab, wrap around copper pipes until they break the pipe, and destroy a front porch. I can't think of the name of the tree, but everyone that I've seen in person was the same tree.

/ Progress! #24  
Nothing hippie dippie about wanting a shade tree in the yard. But it should be a sound tree free of root and stem decay and a healthy live crown. It is a good idea not to leave a forest within tree height of the house.
Amen. We have a couple trees in the yard within "striking" distance of the house. They provide great shade and beauty to the home. However we do have them looked after by an arborist every couple years. Got to keep them trimmed, fertilized and in good shape. He estimates they may well be pushing 100 years old.

/ Progress! #25  
Hmmmm...... that must be why the turkeys that were transplanted are doing so well here. Very little undergrowth and ancient Ponderosa pines. I see "bands" of them every day. Running around and tearing up the ground. They pass thru my yard without any digging/scratching. I think they know - if they do - coyote food.

/ Progress!
Hmmmm...... that must be why the turkeys that were transplanted are doing so well here. Very little undergrowth and ancient Ponderosa pines. I see "bands" of them every day. Running around and tearing up the ground. They pass thru my yard without any digging/scratching. I think they know - if they do - coyote food.
Why coyotes? Seems those should be oosik food. 😀

/ Progress! #27  
Turkeys. The ones the pilgrims had must have been a whole lot more tender than what we have here. Many years ago - I stepped out the front door and bagged one. Put it in the oven just like you would with any other turkey. Would have had to "slice" it with a chainsaw.

After "X" number of hours in the oven it still was tough. The wife gave up, deboned most of it and made a large pot of turkey noodle soup. The soup was good - the turkey finally got tender.

I have one gigantic Ponderosa pine about 50 feet from the house. It's 107 feet tall and 38" in diameter at the base. It get plenty of water. Two of its major tap roots go down to my little lake. One of these days I might have it taken down. The remainder are all far enough away.

/ Progress! #28  
Wild turkeys are great eating. In my region, they are native to ponderosa pine forests and are plentiful. We have both a spring and fall hunting season.

/ Progress! #29  
Turkeys. The ones the pilgrims had must have been a whole lot more tender than what we have here. Many years ago - I stepped out the front door and bagged one. Put it in the oven just like you would with any other turkey. Would have had to "slice" it with a chainsaw.

After "X" number of hours in the oven it still was tough. The wife gave up, deboned most of it and made a large pot of turkey noodle soup. The soup was good - the turkey finally got tender.

I have one gigantic Ponderosa pine about 50 feet from the house. It's 107 feet tall and 38" in diameter at the base. It get plenty of water. Two of its major tap roots go down to my little lake. One of these days I might have it taken down. The remainder are all far enough away.
That has not been my experience at all. Wild turkeys are the same as farm raised for eating, except they have smaller breasts and less white meat. Yours must have been very old.

/ Progress! #30  
I've only shot one wild turkey. In my opinion, it's night and day different the store bought turkey. I'm not a fan of what they sell in the stores, but I really enjoyed the one I shot. Instead of backing it in the oven, I breasted it and grilled the meat on my BBQ like a steak. It was fantastic!!!!!

I also think wild hogs taste totally different then store bought pork. I enjoy both types, but the wild meat is a lot leaner, but with more flavor. The backstraps grilled on the BBQ are outstanding!!!!