Printer Recomendations

/ Printer Recomendations #1  

Paystar

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B2620
I get so much good info and advice on this site, thought I'd come here for some printer advice. What is the cheapest as far as ink usage? I had an HP 1210 all in one. I thought it was hard on ink at the time (not compared to my new one though) and it had really good print quality. When it wore out the store talked me into a HP PSC 1510. Said it was the new improved version. I wasn't impressed since day one. Even had HP change a bunch of settings because of poor print quality (red is more pink than red) and it's still not great. Anyway, the cartridges are cheaper but hold half the ink of the old one. The box for the cartridges says good for 220 pages. I printed a 24 page Massey brochure with brand new cartridges last night and it ran them dry.:mad: $50.00 for 24 pages. Is there a better way to go? I print lots of colour pics so what is the most economical brand/type. Also laser or inkjet?
Thanks for any ideas.

/ Printer Recomendations
I also tried the fill your own kit for HP cartridges. Tried a bunch of them, followed all the directions, cleaned the contacts and print head, did all the setup procedures and the colour is off on all of them. They also made a mess of ink inside the printer. So while the $24.00 price of the kit (which will refill 6 times) looked good, it seems to be hit and miss.

/ Printer Recomendations #3  
I get so much good info and advice on this site, thought I'd come here for some printer advice. What is the cheapest as far as ink usage? I had an HP 1210 all in one. I thought it was hard on ink at the time (not compared to my new one though) and it had really good print quality. When it wore out the store talked me into a HP PSC 1510. Said it was the new improved version. I wasn't impressed since day one. Even had HP change a bunch of settings because of poor print quality (red is more pink than red) and it's still not great. Anyway, the cartridges are cheaper but hold half the ink of the old one. The box for the cartridges says good for 220 pages. I printed a 24 page Massey brochure with brand new cartridges last night and it ran them dry.:mad: $50.00 for 24 pages. Is there a better way to go? I print lots of colour pics so what is the most economical brand/type. Also laser or inkjet?
Thanks for any ideas.
My parents have had good luck with Canon PIXMA printers, they have ink tanks which hold a lot more ink than a cartridge and are MUCH cheaper (especially from ebay, 5 of each tank for $30ish IIRC). They also have one tank per color so that you only have to replace the one that is out, not chuck the cartridge when one color runs out.
The one they have has lasted for 2+ years of hard use. They have replaced the tanks many times and the print head once. Dad ran the numbers and it was on par or cheaper than a laser printer to print with.

Aaron Z

Last edited:
   / Printer Recomendations
Thanks Aaron, I'll have to look into one of those. I like the idea of the seperate ink tanks. I did notice around here the Cannons seem to be priced really good, but I've never had any experience with one.

Thanks again,
Shawn.

/ Printer Recomendations #5  
If color is not important to you.. There are some Brother laser printers that have $30 Toner cartridges....

I bought one of them for most of my printing..

J

/ Printer Recomendations #6  
I had inkjets since the mid 90s now I am a fan of the cheap laser printers ($60 to $100). They hold up well and cost much less to own and use. Mine is 5 years old and has given us no trouble though heavy use and light use periods. No more dried up ink and prints smudged by a bit of rain. I don't miss the colour at all.
My son's laser is also five years old. It survived university. My daughter's laser is two years old and also trouble free.
Cartridges are about $90 retail and last much longer than ink. We are on our second or third.

/ Printer Recomendations #7  
We bought this laser printer. Amazon.com: Brother HL-5250DN Network Ready Laser Printer with Duplex: Computer & Accessories

Then we buy this toner cartridge. Amazon.com: Brother TN580 High Yield Black Toner Cartridge: Electronics

The "cartridge" will print off 7000 pages...Then you can block off the electronic eye to print more, and you can get 33% more from doing that.

We home-school our two teenagers and we needed a good printer... My wife prints off books from the web.

We have been real happy with this printer... We had a small printer and we had to buy the refills, and we bought A LOT of them.:D

/ Printer Recomendations #8  
I gave up on color years ago, Laser is the only way to go IMHO. I use a Brother MFC-7820N 5n1 Machine. You just cannot beat the economy of a laser printer.

/ Printer Recomendations #9  
I have to 2nd he reccomendation of the Canon Pixma. I have had the Pixma 4000 for 4-5 years now and it gets pretty heavy use with business, monthly billing etc. never mind rcreational use. The ink cartridges are all seperate, just replace the color that out. I have found that although the after market replacement cartridges can be bought offline for about $4 ea. in quantity they dont last quite as long as the Canon ones.

I have had quite good luck in filling the blck cartridges. This seems to be the color that I go through most. I would not hesitate to buy another if this one failed. Fairly inexpensive, even at Staples and it just plain works good.

/ Printer Recomendations #10  
PC Magazine does an annual printer evaluation review which you may find useful. It should be available online. Basically the answer to the question depends upon if you want a multifunction printer, color and if so what quality, how much you print, etc. There have been color laser printers available for quite a while now if you need color and want to go that way.