Power-trac Forum

/ Power-trac Forum #41  
> "Technically Earthforces are not articulated. They have crab steering instead. "

And not all of them have that. The EF-1 only has standard 2-wheel steering.

larry /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Power-trac Forum #42  
<font color=blue>they</font color=blue> (EarthForce machines) <font color=blue>have crab steering instead</font color=blue>

And crab steering is sort of the reverse of articulated steering, if that were possible... Crab steering is when all four wheels turn the same direction, allowing you to move diagonally (sort of like crabs do...). What you're thinking of is four wheel steering. And technically, crab steering is also an option, not standard, on all machines except the EF-600 (where it's standard) and the EF-100 (where it's not available). Of course, since it's an option on the EF-500, mine has it... /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ Power-trac Forum #44  
Glennmac Re: Power-trac Forum

Had my PT 422 back in the woods with the brush hog and I noticed some large trenches in a muddy area. As I go into it, went down in the mud to the belly, but waggled my way out without any problem. Found out later that my neighbor had been back there attempting to clear out the briars as well.... go his JD 735 stuck and had a devil of a time getting it out (accounting for the trenches I saw). I'm still trying to decide if I should remind him not to go back in the woods with his JD unless I'm home to pull him out with my PT.... /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ Power-trac Forum #45  

Thanks Griff

OK Glennmac, we've taken care of mud.
You're running out of reasons not to make your next machine a Power Trac.
A couple of people have mentioned the PT wiggling out of trouble. Somewhere in the past, that capability was described not only for a PT, but for a much bigger articulated machine. Where conventional tractors dig themselves deeper, turning back and forth gets a bogged articulated tractor moving again.

/ Power-trac Forum #46  

Shucks, the only reason Glennmac doesn't have an EF-500 is that he unequivocally refused to vicariously particpate in the experience.

/ Power-trac Forum #47  

Clearly Glennmac - a thinking man - will be the first on the board to have a Power Trac and an Earth Force. Since you know he relies on our advice, what size of each should we recommend he get?

/ Power-trac Forum #48  

You PT and EF guys have key qualities that I don't. But I would like to ask a question. Most of the clearing I need to do on my property I have done. I am now in field mowing-maintainance mode on several acres (complicated by the wetness issue). I use my 60" cutter for this. I would like to move up to a 72" cutter. Can either a PT or EF run a 72" brush cutter?

/ Power-trac Forum #49  

Glenn:
Sedgewood and I both have 72 inch "Rough Cut" decks on our PT 1845s. They are three-spindle decks, like finish decks, but super heavy duty, and with stump jumpers and hinged blades on all three spindles. (I also have a set of finish blades, but haven't tried them.)
Most of my cutting is pasture, which it does well. I have driven into four or five foot high brush, with sapling trunks/stems in the 1" to 1 1/2" range, and it mulches the whole works pretty well. I haven't tried bigger clearing work, as opposed to mowing. (And we won't discuss the football sized light colored rock that looked like a mushroom in the grass.)
I saw Mark's Ammbusher deck in Baltimore, and it seems even heavier duty than the Power Trac unit. Mark will give details, if you ask politely.
I'll bet the Power Trac against the Earth Force in the mud, but the EF will probably clear bigger brush faster.

/ Power-trac Forum #50  

Glenn: Like you, I'm pretty well finished with the heavy clearing and am now primarily in mowing mode. I do have a few acres of 8-10 ft high multiflora roses yet to tackle though. I concur with what Charlie says about the 72 inch Rough Cut. 1" to 1-1/2" is about all the stem it will handle, primarily I think due to the limited mass out the blades. I've sensed no shortage of power so far but haven't gotten into any mid season full height/thickness growth yet but I don't expect any problems. It mows the roses without complaint though I'm still getting used to being down at their level where they can lash out at me! The Power Trac is low compared to my Int 484. I too find a "mushroom in the grass" now & then and alas the light blades don't fare as well as the Bush Hog's much heavier blades in dealing with them. I don't have enough hours in yet to know for sure but I think my productivity is nearly double what it was with the 484 and 60 inch Bush Hog, due in part to the mower being up front where I can see it, in part to the HST instantaneously "variable to suit the need of the moment" speed and forward reverse, and in part to the incredible maneuverability of the articulated tractor, especially around the trees. I love it.