Power-trac Forum

/ Power-trac Forum #21  
<font color=red>"Yes, of course we can make a Power Trac forum... would you mind if the EarthForce guys joined you?" </font color=red>

Muhammad:
I suppose having a Power Trac Forum would accord us some status and a vast array of privileges not currently available to us. That notwithstanding, I suspect that some other Power Trac owners enjoy TBN the same way I do. When time permits, I try to review the titles of all posts, and spend a lot of time reading things that will never make it to a Power Trac forum. So, it really doesn't matter if there is a recognized smaller group. Thanks for TBN.

/ Power-trac Forum #22  
Glennmac Re: Power-trac Forum

Charlie, I did get the Lackender info from your posts. I think it is potentially great idea even for those who have CUTs, maybe even for my 2910 if I stay with it.

The one thing I'm not sure about with PT is my mud problem. I don't see those little tires being able to go into muddy places. I think I could go through the mud with a Grand L (or successor CUT) and the Michelin XM27 tires.

I sure do enjoy reading the exploits of you PT pioneers.

/ Power-trac Forum #23  

Glenn:
I didn't post to take credit for the Lackender connection but once again to tout Power Trac. I hope it doesn't blow up and I have to resign from TBN to avoid admitting it.
My 1845 would be better in slick stuff with bar tires, which I may some day do. It would be interesting to find some mud and compare it to a CUT, but I don't know how to go about that. I've sunk CUTs to the axle in grass cutting at this time of year. Somehow I think the Power Trac has at least the mud capability of a CUT, but I have nothing to base that on but gut feel.
On your way to Power Trac to test your new one, stop by Maryland and try the Lackender hoe. I'm still not any good at running it or the 4 n 1, but I'll put the 6 foot rough mower and the post hole auger against anyone else's systems, and I'm happy to show off for anyone who stops by.

/ Power-trac Forum #24  

Bubender, PtRich, MossRoad & other PT owners:

Glennmac wrote: <font color=red>"The one thing I'm not sure about with PT is my mud problem. I don't see those little tires being able to go into muddy places.</font color=red>
How are your PT's in the mud. I've only been in a little slick stuff - snow and wet grass - and although the turfs slide more than I think bar tires would, I think the machine should be OK in the mud. What's your experience been?
MossRoad - didn't you mention mud at one point, perhaps when you went brush cutting?

/ Power-trac Forum #25  

<font color=red>My 1845 would be better in slick stuff with bar tires, which I may some day do. It would be interesting to find some mud and compare it to a CUT, but I don't know how to go about that.</font color=red>

For what its worth, I've had my 1845 (with bar tires) just about up to the belly pan digging out a muddy section of farm road to install some drainage and a stone culvert and am mighty impressed with its ability to churn away and keep on moving where I'm not sure my International 484 with ring chains would go. The 484 is 2 wheel drive of course and I have no 4 wheel drive CUT experience to compare it to. We're talking here about maybe 6 inches of slimey mud above a fairly firm base.

/ Power-trac Forum #26  

Charlie, I will be greatly interested in how you find the Lackender hoe once you get some more experience. What's not clear to me is what kind of maneuver you do to dump the dirt away from the hole. I have never driven a PT or a skidsteer. Randy Lackender said that you can dump with the skidsteer because of how it drives. I don't know what that means. What do you do to dump?

Did you consider the hydraswing model at all? I think from your picture you got the extendahoe. Did you get the manual or hydraulic extension?

/ Power-trac Forum #27  

Glenn:
I think the hoe works better on a Power Trac than on a skid steer. To dump with the skid steer, you'd have to turn the machine - forward one side and back the other - which isnt a problem. On the Power Trac, however, all you do is turn the wheel, the machine bends in the middle, and swings the hoe away from the hole, so dumping is easy. It is only a little clumsy because I don't yet have the curl circuit controlled by the joystick, and have to reach for another handle.
I didn't consider the hydraswing because I never heard of it until your post today. I suspect I'd still have gone with the manual extenda-hoe, however, because of budget constraints and the ease of turning the hoe from side to side on the PT. For the front of a CUT, I think the hydra-swing would be essential, to save backing up, turning, going forward to dump and then repositioning to dig. Even that process, however, would beat the stuffing out of a pick and shovel.

/ Power-trac Forum #28  

I have driven both a 4wheel drive CUT and my PT425 with bar tires. They both excel in different ways. Since the PT has 4 very wide tires and does not cut the ground when you turn the wheel (I think the best way to describe it is when you turn the steering wheel the tractor points the direction you want to go) you do not get the "snowplow" effect when changing directions. You also do not sink in the mud as much. Because all for wheels always have even pressure even if 3 wheels do happen to spin (witch almost never happens) the fourth wheel can still pull you out. Since the tractor moves when you turn the wheel you can turn back and forth to keep bitting fresh material if necessary. The CUT usualy has better between axle clearence wich is good for driving out of a whole. The CUT has better bucket curl so if you do sink it you can probably pull yourself out with a little patience.

The CUV can probably get out of a deeper whole but you are not likely to make one in a PT. I have sunk it to the belly pan while cleaning out a culvert and had to drive out of the mud and over the bank. I did this with full throttle, medium pedal pressure and wagging the tractor back and forth, at first it did not move but then it slowly pulled itself out.

One quick note, I use bar tires and they do not leave marks in my lawn when mowing, I recently dug into a hill to install an above ground pool with out leaving marks on my lawn from the 60 buckets of material I hauled out. I hauled 6 yards of aggregite to my hole after recieving 3/4" of rain. Only in one spot where it was muddy did I leave an impression and the tire did not sink in, only left bar marks.

PTRich

/ Power-trac Forum #29  
I don't mind where the forum is now but we tend to hog it. It may be better for everyone elso looking for information on other tractors in this forum if we left. Would it effect search engines on the web to make us easier to find? (I realy have no idea) I honestly do not check many of the other forums because of a lack of time (I am Mr. Mom at night).
PTRich

/ Power-trac Forum #30  

I have never had my pt 422 in much deep mud, but in snow with the turf tires I am amazed at how well it goes , the only bad experience was last winter with about 6 inches of snow on the ground I tried to go up a 20degree plus hill, i made it half way and then started spinning and sliding backward. I have used it to plow my driveway with the small bucket with very little loss of traction. Several wet places I mow it just goes right through with less of an imprint in the mud than I make walking through the same place.