Poulan Chainsaw not starting

/ Poulan Chainsaw not starting #21  
I had a Poulan for over 10 years, used very infrequently, always ran
all the fuel out when I stored it... went to use it one day, fuel lines cracked.
Replaced them, worked well for a few more months, then could not start it.
I spent a little money (new carb) and WAY too much time trying to get it
working again, because I refused to let it beat me... but it did. I gave it away
and bought a Husqvarna

/ Poulan Chainsaw not starting #22  
There are several small equipment repair shops in town...in every one there is more Stihl brand saws, trimmers, blowers etc. in for repairs than about any other brand...

Before replacing the coil on any piece of equipment...it's prudent to check the kill switch leads etc. for shorts that will prevent a spark...

To check a coil remove the plug and hold the wire in a hand and hold it against the head...slowly pull the cord or spin the crank...if the coil is working you will feel it...

Amazon.com : spark tester

For those of us who are poor insulators and don't care for minor electrocutions.

/ Poulan Chainsaw not starting #23  
Wimps... :laughing:

/ Poulan Chainsaw not starting #24  
I have a home light saw that I bought years ago. It wouldn’t run right but thought I’d change the carb on it before it went in the dumpster. Runs like a champ now. The carb was $36.69 at e- replacement parts. Home light actually had a how to video on changing out carbs.

/ Poulan Chainsaw not starting #25  
Amazon.com : spark tester

For those of us who are poor insulators and don't care for minor electrocutions.

Funny story. I had an old 7 hp wisconsin engine that had been retrofitted on a wheel horse for pulling a trailer. It had a magneto like the older 2 cylinder JD tractors. so you could turn the flywheel by hand and it would click. the click was a full spark discharge unlike the old briggs engines that you could turn slowly and just get a little tickle sometimes. Anyway it wouldn't start once and my older brother got the idea to hold onto the spark plug wire while I pulled the starter rope really slow. I think that thing bit him like 5 times before he could let go of the wire.

/ Poulan Chainsaw not starting #26  
Nice to know your opinion on Husqvarna products. Sarcasm intended.

... and their sewing machines. I'll have to inform my SO that her $12K Husqvarna sewing machine is garbage. Second thought - I don't think that would be a good idea.

/ Poulan Chainsaw not starting #27  
have a sears 37cc bushwacker brush cutter, so old I have not been able to get any parts except screws for it for years. Just replaced fuel lines (leaking) and took the carb completely apart and hand cleaned each part (have never found a similar carb anywhere). Replaced the hardness clip with a generic one and a clamp as the original harness clamp also held the shaft to the motor. Etc. so a real Frankenstein tool.
Why did I do this? because this thing is a beast and will out power my stihl and echo devices, using a saw blade it cuts swathes through sapplings and helped me take out a few hundred square feet of bamboo the previous owner planted.
I can't see myself doing that for most newer equipment that I have, especially not the cheaper brands. I like to fix things, not always to save money, sometimes just for the satisfaction.

/ Poulan Chainsaw not starting
So I'm home a lot more these days so h wfore I tossed my Poulan and for S&G's I ordered a $16 carb and gas line repair kit. Swapped out today, seems to getting spark at plug but it is backfiring when starting.

So what'd this non-engine mechanic do wrong?

/ Poulan Chainsaw not starting #29  
Check the flywheel key. Sounds like the flywheel is not in the correct position and thus the timing is off.

Richard

/ Poulan Chainsaw not starting
Check the flywheel key. Sounds like the flywheel is not in the correct position and thus the timing is off.

Richard

Ahh ok, I put the flywheel cover back on not knowing it was supposed to be in a certain position. I'll try that. Thanks