Poulan Chainsaw not starting

/ Poulan Chainsaw not starting #1  

Pixguy

Tractor
2011 MF 2410 TLB
I have a 4yo 50cc Poulan Pro that I couldn't start last year so I used a smaller one for the few limbs I had to trim. Today I had a downed tree due to high winds and tried to start the Poulan again and had no luck. The saw has maybe 10hrs on it.
The plug appears clean and gapped correctly, air filter was only slightly dirty, carb was clean and I replaced the gas with fresh gas and still not turning over.
I will have to test the plug for spark and maybe replace the gas filter and gas line.

Any other suggestions?

/ Poulan Chainsaw not starting #2  
if the plug was clean, and not wet from gasoline, the cylinder is not getting gas, it's possible you have bad fuel hoses, or a clogged carburetor. have you tried putting a small amount of gas in the carb, and tried starting it?..

/ Poulan Chainsaw not starting #3  
Get a battery one. They're great. No starting problems. No fuel mix or storage problems.

Unless you do commercial work, I don't see why anyone is still using a motor driven chain saw.

Ralph

/ Poulan Chainsaw not starting #4  
If you left non ethanol gas in it the carb is probably shot. You can get a carb for it for not much on EBay or Amazon. The only way I could keep my small chainsaws running is to drain the tanks after use and let them idle until they die. I only use non ethanol gas with stabil.

/ Poulan Chainsaw not starting #6  
Same problem with my pullin’ & pullin’ & pullin chainsaw. I drain the tank after every use, pump the bulb numerous times and put the choke on and pull it numerous times to get as much of the gas out of the carb. Some times it works other times it doesnt. My remedy was to drill a small hole in the cover over the air cleaner and with a straw give it a shot of ether. Starts every time.

/ Poulan Chainsaw not starting #7  
I have a 4yo 50cc Poulan Pro that I couldn't start last year so I used a smaller one for the few limbs I had to trim. Today I had a downed tree due to high winds and tried to start the Poulan again and had no luck. The saw has maybe 10hrs on it.
The plug appears clean and gapped correctly, air filter was only slightly dirty, carb was clean and I replaced the gas with fresh gas and still not turning over.
I will have to test the plug for spark and maybe replace the gas filter and gas line.

Any other suggestions?

As others have suggested, give it a shot of starting fluid (a small shot!) right into the carb and give it a pull. If it pops, you know your spark plug is good. Then you can concentrate on a fuel issue. If it doesn't pop on starting fluid, it's most likely a spark issue.

It's a simple test and takes just a minute. Good luck.

/ Poulan Chainsaw not starting
Update here, I found no spark at the plug so my neighbor who knows some replaced the coil saying, yup that's what it was. Still won't fire up. Brought it the local repair shop and he says Nope, Poulan is a $100 saw, throw it away and start again.

Really?

/ Poulan Chainsaw not starting #9  
Update here, I found no spark at the plug so my neighbor who knows some replaced the coil saying, yup that's what it was. Still won't fire up. Brought it the local repair shop and he says Nope, Poulan is a $100 saw, throw it away and start again.

Really?
true, but you can try replacing the fuel hoses, they do dry out and crack, 4 years is about right for that, usually, repair shops don't charge more than 50% of the new price for a repair, it's not worth it!.. add the price of say a new carburetor to the shop repair charge, and sometimes it's not worth it!.. fuel hose replacements are not expensive though, maybe $5 a foot for the hose, if you can find someone to do it for free, else add a shop charge to that!..

/ Poulan Chainsaw not starting #10  

Really?

After you replaced the coil, did you try using some starting fluid sprayed into the carb with the air cleaner removed to see if it pops?