Pond Build

/ Pond Build
hmmm. Walker Lake.
Very interested. I want to do a pond too, but am thinking more along the 100' by 50'.
I think yours is a "bit" larger. How are you getting rid of the soil?
The soil we dug out went into dam except three piles I'll use for other projects.

I'll dig a little more out for fish habitat trenches and just use it somewhere on my property.

/ Pond Build
Did you get permits?
Did you talk to Bureau of Dam Safety?
None required, I talked to local resources and none required for this size of a pond. It has to get pretty large before an engineer type permit is required
I'm nowhere near that size.

I believe I saved the documents I can find them again if you are interested let me know.

/ Pond Build #23  
Here in Texas, you need a permit if you are over 90 acres of surface water. Or if you want to dam up a named creek. We have lots of creeks that do not have names. If it is named, you have to have permission from whatever lake authority controls the water in that creek. It can be very complicated, and most people never get the permits to do that.

/ Pond Build #24  
In my County we also have restrictions on the watershed you are going to dam. Otherwise the only restriction that requires permitting is dam height.

Thanks to the OP for starting this thread. I'm a dirt guy so always enjoy seeing what others are doing.

/ Pond Build #25  
Very interesting. A pond is one of the first things my dad built on his farm.

/ Pond Build
I rented a mini excavator and I am digging trenches for fish.... any advice is appreciated. I am making some straight walls and some angled walls, hopefully you all can tell in the pictures what I am doing.

Attachments

• 20220125_153347.jpg
    20220125_153347.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 195
  • 20220125_132429.jpg
    20220125_132429.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 194
   / Pond Build #27  
What is the purpose of the trenches? I know, for fish.... But what does the fish do in there? Why would the fish want to go in there?

/ Pond Build
If it's for fishing, be sure to create drop offs, ditches, points, and even underwater islands, for the fish. The uglier it is, the more the fish like it!!
Working on that now!!! I'll call these the Eddie ditches lol

I am digging whatever 6 hours with a Kubota U35 gets me.... then I have 2 hours of work for a friend and the rental goes back.

Maybe I can convince my wife I need to rent a skid steer with a cab to move all this loose dirt :)

Attachments

• 20220125_153954.jpg
    20220125_153954.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 174
   / Pond Build
What is the purpose of the trenches? I know, for fish.... But what does the fish do in there? Why would the fish want to go in there?
I am not even sure. "Everyone" keeps telling me to dig trenches for fish lol

I am not even a fisherman I just like digging in the dirt so I said "okay!"

I'm looking forward to friends and family visiting to fish our pond in the future, should be good times.

/ Pond Build #30  
The trenches create drop off. Those areas become hot spots for our predator fish to hide. It's where they will find the most feeder fish. The pond has to have place for the feeder fish to hide and escape the predators. This is what log are for too. The edge of those ditches is where the best fishing is going to be. Same as the edges of the log piles.

Since I have channel cats in my pond, along with large mouth bass and copper nose blue gill, I dug one pit in my pond that is about 20x60 and 12 feet deeper then the rest of the pond, which is around 12 feet deep in that area. That hole is a hot spot for catfish, and the edges around it is one of my favorite spots for bass.

When you dig the ditch, pile up the dirt into a big pile. This will give you two areas of habitat. Both work the same way, it provides a place for feeder fish to hide, and predators to hunt.