Pole Barn Lighting Options

/ Pole Barn Lighting Options #1  

CloverKnollFarms

Elite Member
Tractor
TYM4820H
Looking for advice. The new 40x56x12 shop will be erected this summer. It will be used for equipment repair and woodworking for the apiary. I like lots of light when doing these tasks. I had thought about installing (2) 8’ LED lights per truss, at 12,000 lumens each. This would be 144,000 lumens total, 64/sqft

Ive read conflicting information on whether this would be enough.

Here is a layout of the barn. I figured (12) linear lights attached along the trusses would offer more consistent lighting. Thoughts?

I had initially looked at fewer, higher output UFO lights… but most of those are high bay, and 12’ doesn’t seem to fit as a high bay. Also, it seems fewer, higher output lights would create more shadows and dark corners.

Attachments

• 74D26275-3C1F-416B-A823-98DEA7594918.jpeg
    74D26275-3C1F-416B-A823-98DEA7594918.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 98
Last edited:
   / Pole Barn Lighting Options #2  
I’ve got 5 of the 36” or 48” linkable LED shop lights in my barn. The space is 30x40 with 11’ side walls.
Good so far for overall lighting.
the 5th one is over a work area.

I’d think 2 more would be perfect in my case.

/ Pole Barn Lighting Options
I’ve got 5 of the 36” or 48” linkable LED shop lights in my barn. The space is 30x40 with 11’ side walls.
Good so far for overall lighting.
the 5th one is over a work area.

I’d think 2 more would be perfect in my case.
Do you know the lumens? I’m trying to figure out if 64/sq foot is good? I’d like to be able to do surgery in there 😂

/ Pole Barn Lighting Options #4  
I have 80K lumens in a 28'x42' workshop, (68 lumens/sqft). Mine are hi-bay T5's installed 20 years ago. Today I'd go the LED route, that was not an affordable option 20 years ago. As I get older I realize you can never have too much light.

I have 80K lumens in a 28'x42' workshop, (68 lumens/sqft). Mine are hi-bay T5's installed 20 years ago. Today I'd go the LED route, that was not an affordable option 20 years ago. As I get older I realize you can never have too much light.
The only way for me to go higher, is really to install the UFO lights, which I’m afraid won’t distribute it as evenly. 🤷🏼‍♂️

/ Pole Barn Lighting Options #6  
You're using the wrong measurement for a scientific determination of your lighting needs. LUX is the measurement for light provided at the work surface. An office needs 500 LUX, and examination room needs 1000 LUX and an operating room needs 9300 LUX. Don't put in the 9300 LUX - you risk sun burns.
The lumens you are providing, which may be all you're getting from the seller, doesn't tell you want you need to know.
However, the unscientific answer to your query is - double the light tubes you're intending. LED light tubes can be directed. If each fixture has two tubes, you can direct one tube toward one bay, the other tube to the other bay. Also, plan for some drop cords, so you can bring light in under the car hood

/ Pole Barn Lighting Options #7  
Consider transparent roof panels at some equal spacing. Won't help at night or on overly cloudy days, but you will have sufficient general lighting for most things. Then go with task lights where and when you need them for work projects.

/ Pole Barn Lighting Options #8  
Consider transparent roof panels at some equal spacing. Won't help at night or on overly cloudy days, but you will have sufficient general lighting for most things. Then go with task lights where and when you need them for work projects

Roof and walls are insulated, so this is not an option

/ Pole Barn Lighting Options #10  
I can only tell you what I have done. I have a clear span bldg 40 X 60 X 14. It's divided into 2 sections, 30 X 40. I had qty 6, 400 watt HPS lights/ GE Luminaire/ in the working area of 30 X 40. I replaced them with qty 6, Hykolity 250W UFO LED High Bay Light Fixture, 35000lm, 5000K. Basically in the same positions as the HPS but approx. 24" higher. I like the white light versus the yellow light. After several months of working in this new lighting, I think I need at least 2 more fixtures to make it equivalent to the HPS lighting. I have shadows and dark areas which I didn't have before. And that means adding some lights and readjusting some positions. I will probably add 4 more lights to make it even better than before when the finances allow. That's what I know.