plans for soil screener

/ plans for soil screener #1  

not2old

Veteran Member
Tractor
2010 Massey GC2610TLB
I figured that this would be the best place to look for plans to build a soil screen/shaker but a search brings up everything but that. I find it hard to believe that a search only shows one thread for a grizzly screen. Any suggestions for what words to use for my search or anyone have any other suggestions for help? I'd prefer not to use a trial and error method for construction. If nothing comes up, I will try to post my build.

THANKS

/ plans for soil screener #2  
Have a look at the "Similar Threads" at the bottom of this page.

Also, don't use the 'Search' (magnifying glass) function, I believe that it's busted. Use the Google Custom Search box, above it.

/ plans for soil screener
Have a look at the "Similar Threads" at the bottom of this page.

Also, don't use the 'Search' (magnifying glass) function, I believe that it's busted. Use the Google Custom Search box, above it.

I didn't know what I was doing wrong. The problem with the search function shouldn't surprise me- ALL COMPUTERS HATE ME

THANKS

/ plans for soil screener #4  
Nah, you didn't do anything wrong... I only learnt about the magnifying-glass function (lack thereof) the other day.

/ plans for soil screener #5  
A few years back I built a 50'x75' garden by scratching the area with my backhoe 18" deep piling it then screening it all. The screener I built was on the cheep but worked better than expected. Total cost $50 for the piece of 9 ga. chain link fence and metal strapping,had the pressure treated lumber from a deck I removed. You have to go to a fencing co. for the fence, the big box stores only have 11 ga. crap. I didn't stretch the fence fully since the holes would be to big, so I tightened up the openings and secured it with the strong back straps in three places. Basically used a 9' length of fence in a 6' run.
Since the pictures I have added a couple more boards to the sides to better contain the soil.
The only downfall I have found is that some odd shaped rocks, roots, and branches will sometimes clog the screen, so I keep a metal leaf rake handy. Other than that I am very happy with the results, dig a hole with backhoe, place screener in front of hole, screen out soil, rocks roll into hole.

image-257015324.jpg

image-327624406.jpg

image-1347707978.jpg

/ plans for soil screener #6  
Nice work! How long did it take to build?

/ plans for soil screener #7  
Consider making the "screening panels" easily removable - I have three screening panels for mine, all of which use 2 x 4's (on edge)

The one I use the most is 1" square wire netting ... works good to clear most all debris down to around 1/2" - 3/4" diameter.

The second uses a cattle panel from TSC, which I believe has around a 4" mesh - good for larger rocks.

The third uses hardware cloth with 1/4" mesh ... good for cleaning dirty gravel.

/ plans for soil screener #8  
After plowing my garden spot, I'm going to have to build one of these things, :thumbsup:
I've got rocks from small to 20 pound that I've pulled out......

/ plans for soil screener #9  
Nice work! How long did it take to build?

Weeks of planing and about a day and a half to build. I actually built it in the shop in my basement ( like a boat), only I was able to partially disassemble and send it out the basement door for transport and reassemble.
I tried to pull the larger rocks out by hand, 8-10" a and over so as to not damage the fencing.

image-402261235.jpg

image-1556681077.jpg

image-4148730340.jpg

/ plans for soil screener #10  
Weeks of planing and about a day and a half to build. I actually built it in the shop in my basement ( like a boat), only I was able to partially disassemble and send it out the basement door for transport and reassemble.
I tried to pull the larger rocks out by hand, 8-10" a and over so as to not damage the fencing.

Thanks. Couple of other questions: what angle is the screen at? Looks to be about 45*....
And the metal strapping- where did that come from?
Can you remove the screen by hand, or only by using the tractor?