Parking EVs indoors

/ Parking EVs indoors
No form of energy is w/o hazard...... good discussion and examples in this thread.

As I've said @ work (and old guy memory... maybe on here already....) "Ever see a diesel explosion ? .... It's not exactly easy to get it to explode INSIDE an engine.....". That super-stablity/low risk of diesel is conveniently being ignored today (I refer to broad-society, not taking a poke at anybody on here....).

I'm not unaware of diesel fuel downsides (see first sentence, this post.....). The issue I'm preparing for, is the Powers That Be, who are in a rush to virtue-signal about Electric Vehicles either reside at the extreme other end of the building from where I suspect the Inside-The-Building EV Charging will take place, or are totally off-site.

In other words.... "They" won't be the ones choking on toxic fumes if/when a massive Lithium pack suddenly goes up.... I and my co-workers will though.

I'm in my data-collection mode @ the moment..... I've often been surprised and impressed by who hangs-out on TBN, and value the experience, knowledge, and perspective they share...... hence, my post on this emerging and significant topic.

I've reached out to a retired professional fire-fighter I know locally, and hope to have some information flowing to me from that channel...... One of his initial comments re. EV Lithium fires...... "Standards are still being written". That said, the threat still stands.

If I can build a solid enough technical case, I will be pushing very hard for firefighter-level respirators to be supplied and maintained at work, for the peasants like me that work @ the dungeon-end of the building.....

Rgds, D.

/ Parking EVs indoors
The other consideration with the chart in the above video; the fleet of gasoline powered vehicles is much older, resulting in more things to go wrong.
Lies, Darn Lies, Statistics...... :cool: is now a pretty old saying.....

From a top level, it's often easy to Spin Various Directions........ often you need to spend time digging down to dissect the data in a meaningful way.....

Rust destroys pretty much everything on the road here in not a whole lot more than 10 years. On this continent, you only have to go to Cali, or American SW, or even BeSea Canada to come across quite a few 25+ y/o ICE vehicles on the road.

We haven't got any "Aged" data for Lithium powered EV fleets yet....

Rgds, D.

Last edited:
   / Parking EVs indoors #33  
Lies, Darn Lies, Statistics...... :cool: is now a pretty old saying.....

From a top level, it's often easy to Spin Various Directions........ often you need to spend time digging down to dissect the data in a meaningful way.....

Rust destroys pretty much everything on the road here in not a whole lot more than 10 years. On this continent, you only have to go to Cali, or American SW, or even BeSea Canada to come across quite a few 25+ y/o ICE vehicles on the road.

We haven't got any "Aged" data for EV fleets yet....

Rgds, D.
86.7% of statistics are made up

/ Parking EVs indoors #34  
EVs have been used for years inside of large manufacturing facilities. Battery powered forklifts, maintenance crash trucks, scooters, and flatbeds by the hundreds inside a facility is common. The batteries were lead/acid and could be changed out quickly in the battery room.

/ Parking EVs indoors #35  
   / Parking EVs indoors #36  
I didn’t read all the posts but I own an electric bike. On an e bike forum a saw a letter from a place, I think it was condos, that said no e bikes allowed. Not in your unit, storage, garage, no where no how never. There have been a few high profile fires from e bike batteries. Mine is UL rated but a lot of them aren’t.

Gasoline cars catch on fire also. Is the risk higher with an electric car? I don’t know.

/ Parking EVs indoors
EVs have been used for years inside of large manufacturing facilities. Battery powered forklifts, maintenance crash trucks, scooters, and flatbeds by the hundreds inside a facility is common. The batteries were lead/acid and could be changed out quickly in the battery room.
True. Since lead-acid predates, well, pretty much anyone alive today.... hazards are well understood.

In a crowded Pb battery room (at least in a first world country), if you had high-speed charging going on w/o adequate ventilation (or alarms for failure of a high volume venting system), then your insurance company might understandably get ornery.

Early days yet, on the Big LI Chging game, indoors...

Rgds, D.

(P.S - I went back to my earlier post, and updated what my mind was thinking, but fingers didn't get to at the time.... "We haven't got any "Aged" data for Lithium powered EV fleets yet...." )

Last edited:
   / Parking EVs indoors
I didn’t read all the posts but I own an electric bike. On an e bike forum a saw a letter from a place, I think it was condos, that said no e bikes allowed. Not in your unit, storage, garage, no where no how never. There have been a few high profile fires from e bike batteries. Mine is UL rated but a lot of them aren’t.

Gasoline cars catch on fire also. Is the risk higher with an electric car? I don’t know.
Fake batteries/certifications, knock-off power supplies..... I can understand the ban you posted.

Rgds, D.

/ Parking EVs indoors #39  
No form of energy is w/o hazard...... good discussion and examples in this thread.

As I've said @ work (and old guy memory... maybe on here already....) "Ever see a diesel explosion ? .... It's not exactly easy to get it to explode INSIDE an engine.....". That super-stablity/low risk of diesel is conveniently being ignored today (I refer to broad-society, not taking a poke at anybody on here....).

I'm not unaware of diesel fuel downsides (see first sentence, this post.....). The issue I'm preparing for, is the Powers That Be, who are in a rush to virtue-signal about Electric Vehicles either reside at the extreme other end of the building from where I suspect the Inside-The-Building EV Charging will take place, or are totally off-site.

In other words.... "They" won't be the ones choking on toxic fumes if/when a massive Lithium pack suddenly goes up.... I and my co-workers will though.

I'm in my data-collection mode @ the moment..... I've often been surprised and impressed by who hangs-out on TBN, and value the experience, knowledge, and perspective they share...... hence, my post on this emerging and significant topic.

I've reached out to a retired professional fire-fighter I know locally, and hope to have some information flowing to me from that channel...... One of his initial comments re. EV Lithium fires...... "Standards are still being written". That said, the threat still stands.

If I can build a solid enough technical case, I will be pushing very hard for firefighter-level respirators to be supplied and maintained at work, for the peasants like me that work @ the dungeon-end of the building.....

Rgds, D.
You might look at some other sites dealing with EVs; e.g.
mikeholt.com
teslamotorsclub.com

There are numerous discussions on both about EV regulations, fires, the evolving nature of the regulations. Some data scattered through it.

You might also look at UL 9540A Test Method, and the associated test results.

My bottom line would be ensuring a good fire alarm and exits for fires, regardless of cause, but I can relate to your concerns.

All the best,

Peter

/ Parking EVs indoors
Thanks PT, I will go through that material. It will benefit the TBN EV owners who pass by here too (y).

In my upcoming work situation, I don't stand to benefit (gold-stars on forehead, bonuses etc...) from virtue-signalling with these new EVs, but as one of the peasants working in the trenches, if/when this bandwagon many people want to jump on turns into a burn-wagon......

Si Vis Pacem.....

Rgds, D.