Parking EVs indoors

/ Parking EVs indoors #11  
Ford had the brake switch corrosion switch issue back in about 2006-8 that caused fires and we were told to park outside. I had a Ford truck at the time. Yes, now there is another recall and battery problems with the Lightning.

I have a firewall between the garage and house but I fully understand your concern. A fire could be cooking out in the garage for quite a while before you would know about it. I wonder if they make garage specific alarms?
It seems like you could put an alarm in the garage and hardwire it to those in your house.

/ Parking EVs indoors #12  
I've personally seen 2 RV trailers light themselves on fire while no one had been in them for days. Really eye opening how much toxic stuff is flammable. One was a refrigerator going up in smoke, the other I have no idea not much left but I would guess an overloaded outlet or bad connection at the outlet. All RVs use the crappiest outlet that make mobiles home wiring look wonderful.
No matter how much you pay for them. They are all still just junk going down the road.

A gentleman I know that is on his 18th RV said “think of it this way, what if your house was going down the road at 55 miles an hour in a hurricane? Well that is what a motorhome is”.

/ Parking EVs indoors #14  
No matter how much you pay for them. They are all still just junk going down the road.

A gentleman I know that is on his 18th RV said “think of it this way, what if your house was going down the road at 55 miles an hour in a hurricane? Well that is what a motorhome is”.
And these days a growing number of folks want to live in them full time. Not travel just live and it's a LOT harder than they think. If you can not make your own repairs it a never ending money pit in my opinion, or you change out every 3-4 years.

/ Parking EVs indoors
It sounds like a heat detector is what is recommended for garages.

Does Garage Need Smoke Detector?
Starting to scroll down this page, I was thinking of a company I worked for, that produced heat-detectors...... and, there you are ^.

Residential smoke detectors are a high-volume, low-cost game..... it could be done electronically (and, there may be spec-rated ones available, I haven't looked), but in a high-liability application like that, the Operating Temperature Range that many of us need in a garage takes it well out of the normal low-cost smoke detector realm.

Rgds, D.

/ Parking EVs indoors
And these days a growing number of folks want to live in them full time. Not travel just live and it's a LOT harder than they think. If you can not make your own repairs it a never ending money pit in my opinion, or you change out every 3-4 years.
It is a lot of work, keeping an RV up.

Blue-sky lottery win..... I'd take a Unimog chassis/drivetrain/cab, and build custom.

Closer (but only slightly :cool:) to reality...... I'd probably stick a new sea-can on a pre-emission roll-off truck. Always a func over form guy (with wise better-half), I'd want the strength of the can to start with, adding interior I wanted, reinforcing window/door openings properly.

That ^ might be fun....... tool around a Run What You Brung country...... drop your "house" in an agreeable spot, then roam in lighter vehicle, barter/trade work with the locals using the roll-off... whatever.....

Seems like ^ something I'd prefer to do..... over working in an enclosed building, cheek/jowl beside experimental early-production extremely volatile technology.......

Rgds, D.

/ Parking EVs indoors #17  
A can on a roll-off would outlast 90% of the RV by huge margin, if you do your cutouts right. I have seen some RV ice fishing rigs that look like they would last. Drive in and they drop to the ground.

/ Parking EVs indoors
A can on a roll-off would outlast 90% of the RV by huge margin, if you do your cutouts right. I have seen some RV ice fishing rigs that look like they would last. Drive in and they drop to the ground.

Some of the best material I've seen on sea-cans has a tradename something like Corten..... looks like stuff that would outlast me, by a longshot..... if I ever quit being so lazy/get a project like this done, that's what I'd use.

For cost and other reasons, many RV platforms are relatively speaking Kleenex-boxes-on-wheels....

Rgds, D.

/ Parking EVs indoors #20  
It would suck to be on that bus. They showed a chart of how many fires per vehicle type, I wonder how many of those were spontaneous vs the result of an accident.