Parking EVs indoors

/ Parking EVs indoors #1  

3930dave

Tractor
Ford 3930
I haven't asked one yet, but I suspect that a Sr. Actuary would list "identifying and quantifying emerging (financial) risks" as one of their top responsibilities.

Because of Tesla's profile, those tend to make the news....

..... feel free to chime-in on those, but my interest is primarily in Commercial vehicles.

One example, in China....

.... if you haven't seen that ^ before or don't watch till the firefighters arrive..... Note: those are only tiny (by N. American standards) mini-buses.....

What I'm interested in is any emerging trends in the Insurance industry, to require EVs to be parked outside, esp. during Charging cycles.

Rgds, D.

/ Parking EVs indoors #2  
That problem has been around for a long time, and is not limited to electric vehicles.

I won't have an attached garage for that reason; I want my house at least 50 feet away.

/ Parking EVs indoors #3  
The problem seems to be in the manufacture of the batteries themselves. For awhile Samsung had a problem with their phones burning in people's pockets. My phone lives in a belt pouch and my car is in a detached carport.

/ Parking EVs indoors
That problem has been around for a long time, and is not limited to electric vehicles.

I won't have an attached garage for that reason; I want my house at least 50 feet away.
Cadillac for one, had electrical problems on gasoline vehicles in recent years that had them sending notices to registered owners telling them to park those vehicles outdoors.

So No, I don't view it as an "EV" problem exclusively......

Pretty much any insurance company will insure a residential detached garage at a lower premium..... follow the money, was part of the reason I built mine detached here too.....

Cell-phones, laptops, now EVs...... all went (or are going) through the same cycle...... notable cases of battery pack fires, esp. during initial production. (And.... as anybody involved in volume production knows, the requirement to be eternally vigilant tends to diminish, and not just with Time.... later stage cost pressures are usually non-trivial).

I have a general interest in this Thread Topic..... but w/o going into specifics concerning planning (or lack-thereof) and politics @ work, I have significant concerns about this major fire-risk being dealt with proactively, in a large commercial application.

Getting delayed, driving slowly down a major road or highway past a Tesla fire may waste some of your personal time that day, but other than that, impact is minimal.

Spending significant time in your workday, in proximity to large commercial vehicles being charged inside a building........
^ even One of those vehicles going up..... the direct-impact on your lungs could be significant, or even life-ending......

Rdgs, D.

/ Parking EVs indoors #5  
I have an attached garage. I like it and wouldn't be without it. Lots of things burst into flames including lamps and TVs.

In addition to the stories mentioned above, I recall one of one of those forensics TV shows. Person was charged with murder for a car fire that killed her elderly Mother. Lots of 'evidence' presented including so called pour patterns investigators said meant some sort of flammable liquid was used. In the end, it was the result of a defective ignition switch in some Fords and Mercuries. Switch would short internally, overheat, melt and ignite surrounding plastics in the steering column that dripped onto the carpet which then also ignited, but left a characteristic pour pattern.

/ Parking EVs indoors #6  
I've personally seen 2 RV trailers light themselves on fire while no one had been in them for days. Really eye opening how much toxic stuff is flammable. One was a refrigerator going up in smoke, the other I have no idea not much left but I would guess an overloaded outlet or bad connection at the outlet. All RVs use the crappiest outlet that make mobiles home wiring look wonderful.

/ Parking EVs indoors
I've personally seen 2 RV trailers light themselves on fire while no one had been in them for days. Really eye opening how much toxic stuff is flammable. One was a refrigerator going up in smoke, the other I have no idea not much left but I would guess an overloaded outlet or bad connection at the outlet. All RVs use the crappiest outlet that make mobiles home wiring look wonderful.
You've got a point there...... given how a lot of RVs are thrown together, it's a wonder they don't Let the Smoke Out of the Wiring more often.... There's a major RV dealer here, that lost their entire main building, due to one RV going up suddenly, in the middle of workday. Fortunately no loss of life; building was reduced to ash.

A neighbour lost his brother to lung-cancer a # of years back, @ a relatively young age. Fit looking guy, not a tobacco user.

Now standard-practice (respirators On, any sign of smoke), but when that brother joined the Fire-Service, it was less common.

Go back and look @ the (now ancient) old fire-hall pictures...... many firefighters sported beards, and would just cover their face with a cloth...... you'd be coughing up black after a big fire back-when, but the difference was No Plastics, so mostly just wood-smoke.

High enough density of wood-smoke can obviously asphyxiate you, but the impact of even trace amounts of smoke from burning Plastics and other modern compounds is huge, though not necessarily immediate.

Rgds, D.

/ Parking EVs indoors #8  

Ford had the brake switch corrosion switch issue back in about 2006-8 that caused fires and we were told to park outside. I had a Ford truck at the time. Yes, now there is another recall and battery problems with the Lightning.

I have a firewall between the garage and house but I fully understand your concern. A fire could be cooking out in the garage for quite a while before you would know about it. I wonder if they make garage specific alarms?

/ Parking EVs indoors #10