Outrageous shipping. Rant

/ Outrageous shipping. Rant #1  

LD1

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota MX5100
Anyone else get upset with the shipping charges some places charge for parts?

I'm not gonna mention names because this place is a sponser here,but have every intention of calling Monday when they are open and express my feelings.

I ordered the parts over the phone, got prices on what they were and ordered. But my fault that I failed to verify the total my.card would be ran for including shipping.

Parts were 8 valve stem seals. 4 were hat style, and 4 were tiny o-ring style. Cost me $18 freaking dollars to ship via FedEx in a 6" x 6" x 4" box that may have weighed a half a pound.

Why can't busnisses use a little common sense? I could have fit 40 of these seals in a small flat rate bos that cost a whole shopping $5.

Anyone else think $18 to ship 8 valve stem seals is excessive?

/ Outrageous shipping. Rant #2  
I hear you LD1 see it at work all the time,easy 30% cost for shipping and hardly deliver on time.

/ Outrageous shipping. Rant #3  
I always check the shipping costs, especially on ebay as it seems that's how some sellers make the bulk of their money. Item specific retailers where there isn't a lot of competition kind of have you over a barrel though, as you can't go to the next link when they are the only game in town for what you need.

/ Outrageous shipping. Rant #4  
If the shipping cost are not calculated at the time of order I cancel the order. Not hard to show the shipping cost up front.

/ Outrageous shipping. Rant
I always check the shipping costs, especially on ebay as it seems that's how some sellers make the bulk of their money. Item specific retailers where there isn't a lot of competition kind of have you over a barrel though, as you can't go to the next link when they are the only game in town for what you need.

With ebay, they used to not charge their ebay percentage on shipping, so sellers would sell a $80 part that cost $20 to ship for $20 and charge $80 for shipping. That way they only pay ebay fees on the $20 instead $80. Ebay got wise. They charge on the total order now. Plus they have a nice way to sort. Sort for cheapest + shipping. that kinda levels things out.

If the shipping cost are not calculated at the time of order I cancel the order. Not hard to show the shipping cost up front.

I would normally be the same way. But a reputable company and highly regarded here didnt think they would charge me $18 to ship 2 ounces worth of stem seals. And I was wanting to get everything ordered that I needed before going to bed that morning (night shift). Prices for the seals were acceptable, I was expecting somewhere between $3-$6 to ship 8 tiny seals. certainly not $18. I would have never ordered knowing that (without at least shopping around and checking local dealer prices)

/ Outrageous shipping. Rant #6  
High cost of shipping items have stopped me from making a few small purchases online recently.

That reminds me of an experience my ex fil had many years ago. The old farmer never had a C.C. in his entire life and always went out to the bank and got a money order to mail in for something he would see in a catalog. And that process must have easily added a full week to even getting it shipped. :rolleyes:

Finally understanding just how much quicker he could get what he wanted by using a C.C. along with a phone call he applied and got one.

I still remember his very first order, a tractor part and sales person said "Do you need that right away? We can get it to you tomorrow you know." And he says "Wow really? That be great...OKAY!

Well he got that invoice and it had cost $50 to ship a $40 part :eek:

I don't think he used that CC again for at least a year after that.

Its probably good he doesn't have internet :D

/ Outrageous shipping. Rant #7  
It is "buyer beware" with shipping these days. If you are using eBay or Amazon as your go to sources for "stuff", sometimes it is cheaper to go direct. Here is an example:

I needed some 12 volt wiring supplies and found a vendor on Amazon that had every thing I needed. Total for the goodies was $12. Shipping came to $14 dollars! I found the vendors own website and put together the same order. $12 for the goodies and $5 shipping.

Go figure!

/ Outrageous shipping. Rant #8  
I understand your frustration. The one's that say shipping & handling charges. How much is shipping and how much is handling. Might as well say we're selling this for $4 but it'll cost you $10 to package it and $6 for shipping with a total of $20 + tax.

Since we're probably not talking about McMaster Carr I order from them and never even think about the shipping because it's only shipping I'm paying for and somehow their rates are lower than most. Had to order a fire extinguisher and it cost $25 hazard fee + shipping + the cost of extinguisher. Lesson learned.

I feel better now thanks for letting me get that off my chest.:)

/ Outrageous shipping. Rant #9  
How long did it take for the parts to arrive?
Unless I really needed it quick, I think those charges are excessive. For that price it should have arrived the next day or next business day.
I guess my point is, you may have gotten your moneys worth but you may have paid for something you didn't need.

/ Outrageous shipping. Rant #10  
Anyone else get upset with the shipping charges some places charge for parts?

I'm not gonna mention names because this place is a sponser here,but have every intention of calling Monday when they are open and express my feelings.

I ordered the parts over the phone, got prices on what they were and ordered. But my fault that I failed to verify the total my.card would be ran for including shipping.

Parts were 8 valve stem seals. 4 were hat style, and 4 were tiny o-ring style. Cost me $18 freaking dollars to ship via FedEx in a 6" x 6" x 4" box that may have weighed a half a pound.

Why can't busnisses use a little common sense? I could have fit 40 of these seals in a small flat rate bos that cost a whole shopping $5.

Anyone else think $18 to ship 8 valve stem seals is excessive?

Did you have a choice of how you wanted it shipped? Most places I order from default to 2-3 day shipping, but have options for FED-X overnight, 2-3 day, or ground shipping, which is usually the cheapest.

I just ran into a situation with a chain saw muffler. I found it on-line for about $15.00. But I'd have to pay shipping. I ordered it at a local shop for $20.00, and it also came with a gasket and bolts, which the on-line ones didn't have. Bonus! Yay! So I ordered it local on a Monday and they said it would be here by Friday. So I took the next week off work to cut wood. They never called me on Friday, so I called them the following Monday. They said it was here, so I went down to pick it up. Get there and it was not there. It also wasn't even ordered! They ordered it again and told me it would be in Wednesday. It didn't show up until Friday! And not even an apology for being not ordered and late! So my savings in shipping were eaten in an extra trip in the truck, a wasted hour, and no wood to cut. That's why local businesses lose to on-line. Bad service just once (even if its not their fault) and people go elsewhere. On-line is all about convenience. Local stores don't stock inventory. They have to order it as well. And they pass along the shipping to the customer if its not coming from a warehouse on a local truck or inter-office mail.