Orec tracked flail vs Grillo wheeled flail vs ride on

/ Orec tracked flail vs Grillo wheeled flail vs ride on #31  
A few more thoughts came to mind.

In the case of something like the Grillo, the tractor itself is most likely designed around a certain width for tillage and with a certain HP in mind. The Grillo salesman recommended a 28" flail as matching well to the available HP in part because a wider flail demands more power than a rotary cutter and stalling the unit can damage the clutch. Wider isn't always better if it becomes too much for the power unit.

The Bachtold has a 26" single blade if I remember while the Gravely brush deck is 30 inches. The Orec Cyclone cutting width is 25.6. These seem to be representative cutting widths for walk behind brush cutters.

Coming back to my experience, clearing a 24" or 30" path typically means I will get stuck by briars that overhang into the path. It would be better, IMO, if they'd make brush cutters with about a 48" cut because you'd have a wider path cleared plus the acres mowed per hour should be double that of a 24" cutter assuming the same level of cutting performance.

48" happens to be the cutting width of the PT425 rotary brush cutter driven by a 25 gas engine.
Just remember that that output of the hydraulic PTO on a PT425 is only about 12HP.

2500psi@8GPM = 11.67hp

That being said, it would be a lot faster than the walk behinds. I typically make two passes for our trails with about a 1' overlap so 7' wide. Plenty of room for two people to walk next to each other.

It will absolutely destroy anything in its path. My wife mentioned many years ago how small everything gets chopped up once run over by the brush cutter.

There are issues with the brush cutter. If you hit a hidden rock, or repeatedly hit rocks, it can break the bolt head off and you can lose a blade. It takes a bit of work to get the broken bolt out, but many of us have come up with good solutions for that. It is very easy to work on yourself. Most of us keep spare bolts and blade bushings on hand, and an air impact wrench and sockets really make it go fast.

The forward/reverse treadles on the PT425 on the left and right feet make it very easy to control and vary speed from 0 to 8mph in both directions. So when you get into heavy stuff, just slow down to appropriately comfortable speed.

As mentioned, my only concerns would be the steepness of you slopes, and that's why I'd recommend a test ride with the implement you want to use in conditions similar to yours before deciding on a purchase.

/ Orec tracked flail vs Grillo wheeled flail vs ride on #32  
Can't speak to the other machines but I have a G110D with and a Berta 34" flail mower and, while it's always a bit tricky to gauge things from pictures, I am confident it would absolutely demolish that brush. I have walked many, many, many miles behind my G110 and thrown all sorts of challenging conditions at it, and am always impressed by the amount of destruction the flail can put down on overgrowth. It's tailor made for what you need to do.

I don't think there's any advantage to the Orec or the tracks, unless you are primarily clearing across steep slopes, to prevent slippage. The Grillo has individual wheel brakes so it can handle slopes just fine without too much effort (from experience, it's going to be harder for you to walk on the hill than it is to keep the machine going straight). There is nothing the G110 with a flail won't power through due to traction that the tracks would be able to handle. The video you posted - child's play. These machines are capable of doing a LOT more than what is demonstrated.

And, you say it'd be "just for brush clearing" now, but the versatility of the 2-wheel tractor is nice to have. At some point, you might decide you need a stump grinder, or water transfer pump, or log splitter, or tillage equipment or, ... there's a lot of stuff you could end up needing to do that the G110 can handle, without having to buy another dedicated piece of equipment and having another machine and engine to maintain.

/ Orec tracked flail vs Grillo wheeled flail vs ride on
I think the Grillo would have better resale value because of its recognition as a tillage 2 wheel tractor not limited to flail mowing like the Orec.

I suspect using a sulky to cross mow on my hillside would be a no-go because the sulky would tend to drift down the hill?

/ Orec tracked flail vs Grillo wheeled flail vs ride on #34  
I wouldn't use a sulky on a 2-wheel tractor. The only time it would be suitable would be when mowing something like a golf course, or flat field for sporting events. And if you have one of those, chances are you have a better mowing machine (though the flail mower does leave behind a fantastic cut thanks to the rear roller).

Walk-behind tractors are exactly that - meant to be walked behind. If that's not possible for any reason, you need to look for different equipment. Especially when considering clearing land, you need to be mobile behind the machine and able to move about.

I searched a bit for the Bittante mower and didn't find much - not sure how popular that is. One dealer page I found claimed it's both heavy duty AND a great value, which rarely go hand-in-hand. Not sure the dealer you've been talking to, but Earth Tools has listed "LIKE-NEW Grillo G110 with Flail Mower, Rotary Plow and other implements – $7500" that might be worth checking out.

Flail Mower They import the Bittante. I don't know anything about this brand myself as to whether its reliable and if parts are readily available.

/ Orec tracked flail vs Grillo wheeled flail vs ride on #36  
If I had the Orec I'd get rid of the front wheels and put some skids on it. Front wheels tend to get in the way.

What you really need is a Steiner/Ventrac with a huge monthly pauyment.

I have a 30 year old Steiner that is a true beast.

Once we start talking about new Steiner/Ventrac prices, might as well be talking about the Power Trac PT1430, too. T12 Class

IMPO, the PT425 and the PT1430 should have Yanmar or Kubota diesels for the prices they are asking.

/ Orec tracked flail vs Grillo wheeled flail vs ride on #38  
I've been watching in the states around here but those used Ventrac prices are high.

Let me add, the Orec machines are made for different, more narrow trail systems than some seem to think. No garden tractor sized machine is getting down many sections that we work on.
1696164589695.jpeg

Last edited:
   / Orec tracked flail vs Grillo wheeled flail vs ride on #39  
My BCS with sickle bar will cut right through some tall nasty stuff no problem, can cut in reverse( although no point with a sickle bar). I have run a flail mower on it before through tall brush and it handled it no problem. I do not struggle with traction on hillsides mowing on contour. The taller the wheels the better it will handle the terrain.

Needless to say I highly reccomend BCS.

I have not used a Orec but looking at those tracks my only comment is that it looks SLOW.

/ Orec tracked flail vs Grillo wheeled flail vs ride on #40  
Friend had Ventrac bring over a demo machine. Kubota gas engine. Quite a rig ! Floated over a pretty swampy field. He ordered one Saturday, mower ,snowblower 3pt hitch. Not sure about the cab.
1696164493122.jpeg