Ordered a 2022 Ram 2500

/ Ordered a 2022 Ram 2500 #361  
Yeah but that's a pre-EPA screw-up Cummins. The 07+ diesels, regardless of brand, are getting 9-12 MPG towing.
I can't speak for all brands of diesel pickups but in 2013, the RAM Cummins combo removed all emissions (except EGR) from the engine and into the exhaust system. I have a 2015 3500 that routinely pulls a Montanna 3790RD fifth wheel RV, it comes in around 16,000 pounds wet. My fuel mileage can vary based on terrestrial conditions and wind loading, but getting 14 to 16 on flat wind calm days is common. The worst I ever got was 9 MPG driving into 30 MPH headwinds.

/ Ordered a 2022 Ram 2500 #362  
Let's get back on track here and discuss truck purchasing.

As I mentioned previously in the thread, I have two vehicles on order with no prospects of getting either anytime soon. The salesman I deal with is a nice guy. Since the factory allocates just so many new vehicles per dealership, he suggested I place "stock" orders for the same vehicles at other dealerships as well. A stock order means I am under no obligation to buy if and when the truck arrives.

I've been listening to all the dealerships in my city advertising pictures of new vehicles with phrases like "lowest prices guaranteed" and "huge inventory". I decided to take the salesman's advice and visited two other dealerships with the idea of placing orders there as well.

At both locations, I was told no new orders were being accepted. The "huge inventory" turned out to be used vehicles, some of which were 7 years old and of different brands! I got the sales pitch to buy used and "save" from both salesmen! To me, this is just bait and switch advertising.

It appears dealerships are turning into used car lots these days.
*** UPDATE***

I just received an email from GM that my 2022 GMC Sierra AT4 has been accepted for production. Delivery is estimated to be late spring. I'm optimistic that my 2 year search for a new truck may be near an end.

I should add that I probably could have found a truck earlier but I was very specific about the options I ordered. Unfortunately, many were affected by the chip shortage.

/ Ordered a 2022 Ram 2500 #363  
*** UPDATE***

I just received an email from GM that my 2022 GMC Sierra AT4 has been accepted for production. Delivery is estimated to be late spring. I'm optimistic that my 2 year search for a new truck may be near an end.

I should add that I probably could have found a truck earlier but I was very specific about the options I ordered. Unfortunately, many were affected by the chip shortage.
Are there any 'normal' features that they have discontinued due to the chip shortage on your model? I've read that some manufacturers are reducing features to conserve chips.

/ Ordered a 2022 Ram 2500 #364  
Are there any 'normal' features that they have discontinued due to the chip shortage on your model? I've read that some manufacturers are reducing features to conserve chips.
About 6 months ago, the dealer called and said GM could build the truck I ordered if I deleted the heated seats, head up display, adaptive cruise control, advanced navigation package and a couple of other options. He said some, but not all could be added later when parts became available. The head up display, adaptive cruise control, and a couple of others which I really want, could not be retrofitted however so I declined.

The dealer said the the truck can now be built and / or retrofitted, with ALL the options I want. I paid a $100 fee to "reserve" the truck but it is refundable if I don't like what is delivered. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

/ Ordered a 2022 Ram 2500 #365  
Thanks. Most of that I could live without, but not heated seats (in MN!). Nice that you can now get what you want.

/ Ordered a 2022 Ram 2500 #366  
Thanks. Most of that I could live without, but not heated seats (in MN!). Nice that you can now get what you want.

I suppose I could do without them as well but at my age, since I tend to keep my vehicles a long time, this could be the last truck I buy. I've always wanted one with all the bells & whistles so it could be my last chance.

/ Ordered a 2022 Ram 2500 #367  
It seems to me ordering a new vehicle equipped with the feature you want is a duck shoot. Close to me is an old arena filled to the gills with GM pickups, so are the extended parking lots at Bishop airport in Flint, MI, stuffed with vehicles waiting on modules. I hear there same about Fords albeit not to the extent of GM.

So in November, I ordered a new RAM 1500, eight weeks later I'm driving it. What got me was ordering the options I wanted, like adaptive cruise and blind stop detection. The trim level came with heated/vented seating, heated steering wheel, etc. In order to get any options, I had to get them all in what RAM called their Level 1 Package and it included;

Adaptive Cruise Control w/Stop & Go
Surround View Camera System
Blind Spot & Cross Path Detection
Parallel & Perp Park Assist
LED CHMSL Lamp
Uconnect 5 Nav w/12.0" Display
Wireless Charging Pad
Ventilated Rear Seats
Pedestrian Emergency Braking
harman/kardon 19 Speaker Premium Sound
Power Running Boards
Head Up Display
Tailgate Ajar Warning Lamp
Auto Dim Exterior Passenger Mirror
Digital Rearview Mirror
Lane Keep Assist

All this came at a hefty price of $6,400 for the Level 1 option package. With all this technology, RAM was able to build and deliver the truck in 8 weeks (I live close to where it is assembled so no transport time). Why can't Ford and GM do the same? At least RAM didn't force me to take a sunroof.

/ Ordered a 2022 Ram 2500 #368  
About 6 months ago, the dealer called and said GM could build the truck I ordered if I deleted the heated seats, head up display, adaptive cruise control, advanced navigation package and a couple of other options. He said some, but not all could be added later when parts became available. The head up display, adaptive cruise control, and a couple of others which I really want, could not be retrofitted however so I declined.

The dealer said the the truck can now be built and / or retrofitted, with ALL the options I want. I paid a $100 fee to "reserve" the truck but it is refundable if I don't like what is delivered. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

If they can build it at the factory, go for it. I would not rely on a retrofit. Those options would be very difficult to install at the dealership. Heating element in the seats, radar equipment in the front end, cameras and sensors around the vehicle, all the associated wiring and programming.... yeah the dealership isn't going to take that on. Not worth it.

/ Ordered a 2022 Ram 2500 #369  
If they can build it at the factory, go for it. I would not rely on a retrofit. Those options would be very difficult to install at the dealership. Heating element in the seats, radar equipment in the front end, cameras and sensors around the vehicle, all the associated wiring and programming.... yeah the dealership isn't going to take that on. Not worth it.
That's exactly why I decided to wait. Luckily, my existing 2012 Sierra 2500HD is running fine so I'm not in a great rush to get a new one.

/ Ordered a 2022 Ram 2500 #370  
I still pretty much live my 2022 Limited Longhorn.... but I'm itching to order a 2023!View attachment 734568
20220220_151935.jpg