Old to Me, Steiner 230 questions

/ Old to Me, Steiner 230 questions
$5.00 QTY 2, 6204 bearings for the PTO pulley
$20.00 2 new Gates Belts, B33 and B41 for the PTO
$11.00 2 bearing caps (one for PTO arm, one for steering linkage underneath in rear).

Running total.
$185.

$24 new thermostat
$9 new fan belt
$8 new fasteners/hardware
$22. 2 cans rust-oleum primer, 2 cans of paint

Running total
$248

/ Old to Me, Steiner 230 questions #112  
Owning a Steiner . . . Priceless

$24 new thermostat
$9 new fan belt
$8 new fasteners/hardware
$22. 2 cans rust-oleum primer, 2 cans of paint

Running total
$248

Situation Report.

After running for a couple of hours checking the temp, I turned it off, then I decided to wash it. I got out the pressure washer and then needed to move it to a better location. I had trouble getting it started, no click, no nothing, after multiple attempts, it turned over and started. I left it running, washed it, then pulled it into barn and parked it. It would not start again. Tried the next couple of days, after cleaning battery posts, still nothing. The electrical system is pretty corroded. It has 3 Buss circuit breakers instead of fuses. 2 20amp and 1 30 amp. They reset automatically, unless you really blow them hard, IIRC. The threaded posts were so rusted, they broke instead of coming off.

https://www.amazon.com/Bussmann-CBC-20HB-Circuit-Automotive-Terminals/dp/B001PT7X6Y

I replaced all 3, putting some dielectric grease on the posts, and cleaning the terminals. I also took out the keyed ignition switch, checked it, cleaned and re-tapped the holes where you attach the wires. Putting everything back together, I put the battery ground back on, and she fired right up. I also put in a new glow plug. The one closest to the radiator was bad.

So I'm still happy.

New running total:
$30 for the 3 new Bussman circuit breakers
$21 New NGK glowplug, correct for Kubota D905 https://www.amazon.com/NGK-YE01-Glow-Plug-Pack/dp/B001RLX9DQ
_________
$299 Oh my, almost up to $300 LOL.

I have to say, I love this thing. It still needs a hydraulic fluid/filter change. That's next.

I took it out a few days ago, on a 68F degree day. It ran great, temp stayed low at just a hair past 160F.

I finally got the hydraulic oil and filter changed. I had to take back the initial filter I bought, which had 1" threads, to get one with 3/4"-16 threads. I ended up with a carquest hydraulic/transmission filter, no bypass. Bought some #68 Hydraulic gear oil. No telling how old the old fluid was, when everything was warmed up and hot, it had trouble lifting the big 72" finish cutter. So I put the heavier 68 in it. It gets 100 degrees down here nearly everyday in the summer, so the thicker stuff should be fine. It took a while to get the oil down the skinny tube that has the dipstick. It is under the dash a bit, and I used a cheapie manual transfer pump. Still took longer, being careful not to overfill it.

Motor coolant Temp is still holding just a tad over 160 degrees. Ultimate test will be 100 degree days for that too.

Motor is starting and running fine. I fired it up during the big ice age we had here in Feb for 10 days.

I have noticed the forward/reverse pedal is getting real sensitive about "homing" out in neutral, so that you can start it. Must need some adjustment on the little switch under there.

Still need to order an A-180 belt for the 72" mower.

Situation Report.

After running for a couple of hours checking the temp, I turned it off, then I decided to wash it. I got out the pressure washer and then needed to move it to a better location. I had trouble getting it started, no click, no nothing, after multiple attempts, it turned over and started. I left it running, washed it, then pulled it into barn and parked it. It would not start again. Tried the next couple of days, after cleaning battery posts, still nothing. The electrical system is pretty corroded. It has 3 Buss circuit breakers instead of fuses. 2 20amp and 1 30 amp. They reset automatically, unless you really blow them hard, IIRC. The threaded posts were so rusted, they broke instead of coming off.

Amazon.com: Bussmann CBC-20HB Circuit Breaker (Type I Heavy Duty Automotive with Stud Terminals and Bracket - 20 A), 1 Pack: Car Electronics

I replaced all 3, putting some dielectric grease on the posts, and cleaning the terminals. I also took out the keyed ignition switch, checked it, cleaned and re-tapped the holes where you attach the wires. Putting everything back together, I put the battery ground back on, and she fired right up. I also put in a new glow plug. The one closest to the radiator was bad.

So I'm still happy.

New running total:
$30 for the 3 new Bussman circuit breakers
$21 New NGK glowplug, correct for Kubota D905 Amazon.com: NGK YE01 SPARK PLUG: Automotive
_________
$299 Oh my, almost up to $300 LOL.

I have to say, I love this thing. It still needs a hydraulic fluid/filter change. That's next.
$40.00 for 5 gallons hydraulic tractor gear oil (only needed 1.5 gallons)
$8.00 hydraulic filter
$10.00 ($7.99 + some shipping) New A180 belt for the 72" front mower deck...purchased from vbeltguys.com

I still want to give it a paint job, nothing special, just a rustoleum overhaul.

The Beast has a 72" front deck which has a large steel roller on the back side. It needs new 1" flange mount bearings on both ends. I was going to try and fit some popular one's, but the spacing is too big to fit, even if you want to drill new holes. So I found some online at thebigbearingstore. 2 of them cost me $36.
So that pushes the running total to$393.

For the flange bearings, The spacing between bolt centerlines is 3"

So just a quick situation report. I still haven't painted the Beast, but I did finally get a new gas cap for three bucks. I mowed this past weekend maybe a couple of acres in between a lot of trees. It never even gets close to hot maybe it gets up to about 184 Fahrenheit. I have to say it really fits me well as far as comfort and ergonomics. I'm 5 ft 10 in and it just fits me like a glove. The overall experience is such that there's no vibration the front deck mower doesn't vibrate the engine doesn't vibrate everything seems relatively smooth but a wee bit noisy. I just wear my headphones to cancel out the noise.

/ Old to Me, Steiner 230 questions #120  
sounds like it has a good engine, runs well and now all you have to do is make it pretty.
Great project.