Old to Me, Steiner 230 questions

/ Old to Me, Steiner 230 questions #101  
Did you put a new thermostat in also or a drag racing plate with a 5/8" hole?

/ Old to Me, Steiner 230 questions #102  
I used a 525 Steiner for several years. It was a great mower, as long as you did not get up next to a fence, or ditch! With the center pivot anytime you got next to a wall, it was a severe pain to get away from it because you couldn't just turn away from it!
Mine had a leak in the return pressure hose and I called Steiner. They told me I did not need to fill the hose when I replaced it, just install it and it would prime itself. Well, it started squealing when I cranked it up, before it would move. It ended up messing the pump up. I shifted the transaxles to low range and ran it for a couple more years. I wonder if yours uses the same drive motors? Mine came with a couple extras. Mine was parked a couple years ago with a replacement the wife liked better. I have a blower, a couple decks, and a 10K generator that I bought for it.
David from jax

/ Old to Me, Steiner 230 questions
Did you put a new thermostat in also or a drag racing plate with a 5/8" hole?

waiting 'til Tuesday for the new one to arrive....

I used a 525 Steiner for several years. It was a great mower, as long as you did not get up next to a fence, or ditch! With the center pivot anytime you got next to a wall, it was a severe pain to get away from it because you couldn't just turn away from it!
Mine had a leak in the return pressure hose and I called Steiner. They told me I did not need to fill the hose when I replaced it, just install it and it would prime itself. Well, it started squealing when I cranked it up, before it would move. It ended up messing the pump up. I shifted the transaxles to low range and ran it for a couple more years. I wonder if yours uses the same drive motors? Mine came with a couple extras. Mine was parked a couple years ago with a replacement the wife liked better. I have a blower, a couple decks, and a 10K generator that I bought for it.
David from jax

The 230 drives like a forklift, no center steering, but I can imagine it could take some getting used to also.

You must have lost more fluid than you realized. Can you still use it for an emergency generator?

/ Old to Me, Steiner 230 questions #104  
No, it got parked out back. Most of the implements are under cover and the generator is in the garage taking up space. I have considered changing the mounting on the generator and making a pto for my tractor, as it would turn the generator all day at full power with no problems. I have a pulley that would overdrive it. However, I don't get a lot of time at home (OTR trucker) so most of my projects take years, and the Steiner isn't high on the list. The biggest reason it hasn't happened is because with me not home, the Wife isn't going to plug it up in case of a power outage, so why spend the time to rig it up.
David from Jax

/ Old to Me, Steiner 230 questions #105  
David from jax

Actually they are the easiest to get away from a wall or get out of a ditch..... It's simple push down on the mower or what ever you have on the front till it lifts the wheels in the air and turn the steering wheel to as Far away as you can go and let it back down. Then pick up the mower deck and turn it away as far as you can and repeat as needed till you are out...... jim

David from jax

There are a couple of Steiner/Ventrac facebook groups, where you could sell your implements if you want to.

Needed a new petcock protector, I
Bent one up.
IMG_20210112_160140495.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, it's been a while. Haven't done a whole lot. We actually had snow down here, which is very very rare.

So, while mowing previously, I found out the engine's temp would climb up to 220° F, and I'd stop mowing and lower revs for a bit, and it would come back down below 200° F. This was on a 50° day. Did some research, and it seems common on Kubota 3 cylinder engines. If you remember, I took off the radiator, there was no thermostat where there should have been....The radiator wasn't that fouled up with grass and debris, but I cleaned it out anyway. I believe I had already mentioned it, but I had tightened the fan belt twice, and it was at it's extents and still loose. So I found one at AutoZone.

Today, I put the thermostat in, and saw a dribble, so I took it back out and put a thin layer of permatex #2 on the gasket and both machined faces. Put the 165° thermostat back in and filled it with 50/50 and used DI de-ionized water. I figured the DI water might leach a bit more of the calcification out. Then I had the task of lining up all the panels, and the driveshaft protector. Put the muffler and air filter housing back on. I bought a lot of new hardware bolts and nuts, but still needed a few more, so I re-used some of the old bolts.

I've been straightening the flat panels that surround the engine, bead blasting and painting them. That was quite the chore. Also the air filter housing.

So to sum up the cooling system work, a new thermostat, new belt, cleaned radiator fins outside, boil internally with muriatic acid for about 15-20 minutes on a cool day....

It was time to start it. The beast needs 1 or 2 new glow plugs, so I have to run the glow plug cycle a couple/few times to get it started. Got glow plugs ordered today.

The Beast fired right up, and I had the radiator cap off, to watch/feel the coolant's action. Watching the temp gage, the temp went up to 160ish. I put the radiator cap on once I determined the thermostat had opened, and coolant was flowing, and took her out to mow. I mowed for about 1.5 hours, mowing about 4 acres of my pasture, which is about a foot deep in places. Today's temp got up to about 80F, and the temp gage never climbed over 165-170ish.

I'm a happy camper!!! No more overheating. Will have to wait until summer to see if it will stand up to 100F air temps.

I need new rear tail lights. I want to put some small LED rock lights in, that are white, so you can see to back up at night.
https://www.amazon.com/Lights-Waterproof-Underglow-Offroad-Underbody/dp/B07VMNJSWX/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=led+rock+lights&qid=1611334290&s=automotive&sr=1-5

The Beast needs a new front grill. A new one costs about $200. So, I have a sheet of perforated aluminum at work. I might bend one up, but the sheet I have is kind of thin, I wish I had a sheet a bit thicker.

/ Old to Me, Steiner 230 questions #109  
Sounds like excellent progress. Any pics of the old and new front girl?

/ Old to Me, Steiner 230 questions #110  
Sweet! You're mechanical instincts have been right on, and the sky's the limit!:thumbsup: