New tractor purchase

/ New tractor purchase
I don't know if this is apples to apples, but I just looked up Kioti CK3510 and came up with a New Machine with 0 hours for a "List Price" of $22,436.
View attachment 731920

If I am not comparing the same machines, excuse my mistake. But when I got my MX Dec. 2020, the used prices had already gotten to the point where paying $3000 less for a used machine with 300-400 hours was not a good deal. I certainly would rather buy the New Kioti for $2400 more than the used one with 334 hours. The warranty, dealer relationship and any other perks that go along with it make it well worth the extra $2400.
I have the same thoughts!

/ New tractor purchase
   / New tractor purchase #33  
Good call, the rotary mower I was quoted is in fact a Woods but branded under the Kioti name. How is the quality of Woods?
Woods is outstanding brand. However they have entry level does not have stump jumper. If you are in rough terrain with stumps you need tough rotary mower with stump jumper. Other options include reinforced deck. Rear discharge chains, front chains. Host of other options Wood's provides. Rule of thumb on rotary mowers 5hp per foot of deck. Therefore 25 hp tractor can handle 5 ft rotary mower provided its entry level unit weight under 750-900 lbs. Oh yes I also forgot slip clutch option. I prefer sheer bolt less maintenance then slip clutch. Lastly setting up rotary mower you want rise over run the service manual will guide you setup. Also seek out YouTube lots of people sharing their experiences. Running a rotary mower can be quite therapeutic you the tractor big field sun in your face. Simple things in life are invaluable enjoy every moment.

/ New tractor purchase #34  
...Oh yes I also forgot slip clutch option. I prefer sheer bolt less maintenance then slip clutch. ..
Disagree. Yes, shear pins are common on smaller 4 and 5 ft rotary cutters. The idea that they are "less maintenance" is the opposite of my experience. Slip clutches are reliable, once set correctly protect your driveline forever with no dicking around with them. They are standard on ALL larger cutters for a reason. Simply cutting corners and holding down price when shear bolts are used on the smaller cutters. Shear bolts if they ever get the slightest bit loose WILL shear. They are a PITA to replace. Often metric versus English confusion. Get the wrong one and have to replace it again. Unless they fit real snug they keep on shearing and = blasted nuisances. Any normal slip clutch adjusted to the instructions ONCE will squeak instantly when you suddenly engage the cutter and that becomes your familiar audible sign that all is well. I have had hours of wasted nuisance time with shear bolts. Never ever any maintenance waste of time with a slip clutch.

Nothing wrong with Woods. Basic cutters. If you are going to use the cutter a huge amount as your main tool then it is worth it to shop more. I recommend you shop around and find a cutter that is a little stronger and you really like. Many good brands. Bush Hog, Landpride, Deere, Kodiak, etc. all good. You pretty much get what you pay for too. Depends a lot on your intended use (light brush, weeds, heavier brush, saplings, grass, etc.) as well as how much of your time.

Last edited:
   / New tractor purchase
Disagree. Yes, shear pins are common on smaller 4 and 5 ft rotary cutters. The idea that they are "less maintenance" is the opposite of my experience. Slip clutches are reliable, once set correctly protect your driveline forever with no dicking around with them. They are standard on ALL larger cutters for a reason. Simply cutting corners and holding down price when shear bolts are used on the smaller cutters. Shear bolts if they ever get the slightest bit loose WILL shear. They are a PITA to replace. Often metric versus English confusion. Get the wrong one and have to replace it again. Unless they fit real snug they keep on shearing and = blasted nuisances. Any normal slip clutch adjusted to the instructions ONCE will squeak instantly when you suddenly engage the cutter and that becomes your familiar audible sign that all is well. I have had hours of wasted nuisance time with shear bolts. Never ever any maintenance waste of time with a slip clutch.

Nothing wrong with Woods. Basic cutters. If you are going to use the cutter a huge amount as your main tool then it is worth it to shop more. I recommend you shop around and find a cutter that is a little stronger and you really like. Many good brands. Bush Hog, Landpride, Deere, Kodiak, etc. all good. You pretty much get what you pay for too. Depends a lot on your intended use (light brush, weeds, heavier brush, saplings, grass, etc.) as well as how much of your time.
My intended use will be a few sections of my property that isn't lawn and is covered with a thick layer of leaves that weeds like to grow in, including posion ivy. I have maintaned these areas in the past by borrowing a walk behind DR brush hog which did the job, so I would assume the Woods brand cutter would as well? Looking at the cutter online, it does have a slip-clutch and an oval stump jumper. The place I will be buying the tractor from also sells Landpride so I will take a look and also ask if I can get a deal on one.

Thanks again for everyone's help, you are all a wealth of knowledge!

/ New tractor purchase #36  

I am in agreement on slip clutch for 60-100 horse outfit using 7’ plus rotary mower. That is given feature that becomes standard on heavy duty model. Under 6’ rotary mower it’s an option. Maintenance is adjustment of the clutch if stored in a shed little maintenance needed if stored outside to weather. Then you will be adjusting slip plates getting rust removed. I had experience with both sheer bolt and slip clutch. For the novice sheer bolt is easier for under 6’ deck and cheaper. Won’t argue well maintained slip clutch is preferable. Not all can afford the additional cost. If contracting work for living its must have option.

• Good Post
Reactions: JWR
   / New tractor purchase #37  
Woods equipment is pretty stout.

/ New tractor purchase
Regarding tires. I am quite **** about my lawn but not sure I just want turf tires. Will R4's in two wheel drive while on the lawn do damage? Sorry if this is a really dumb question, I'm only familiar with the turf tires on my BX2200.

/ New tractor purchase #39  
My intended use will be a few sections of my property that isn't lawn and is covered with a thick layer of leaves that weeds like to grow in, including posion ivy. I have maintaned these areas in the past by borrowing a walk behind DR brush hog which did the job, so I would assume the Woods brand cutter would as well? Looking at the cutter online, it does have a slip-clutch and an oval stump jumper. The place I will be buying the tractor from also sells Landpride so I will take a look and also ask if I can get a deal on one.

Thanks again for everyone's help, you are all a wealth of knowledge!
You will be fine. Stump jumper and slip clutch are good to have as you never know what you may hit. Any of the name brands will serve you well. For your size tractor a 5ft is the right size. I have both a 4ft Deere 413 and a 5ft Bush Hog RD5 used on two different Kubotas, both 24 horse B2150s. They are easily handled. The 4ft one is used where I have some rather narrow spaces I could not make it through with the 5ft. At a very different property the 5 ft Deere is used on steeper ground in places where there are no narrows to worry about. The 4ft Deere had been a pain (replacing shear bolts) but has been OK lately since I got the right tight fitting bolt. The Deere was used and has leaky shaft seals (so I use thick "00" grease in the gearbox. That is common with older cutters. The Bush Hog was new barely used on consignment and I got it from a dealer.

/ New tractor purchase
You will be fine. Stump jumper and slip clutch are good to have as you never know what you may hit. Any of the name brands will serve you well. For your size tractor a 5ft is the right size. I have both a 4ft Deere 413 and a 5ft Bush Hog RD5 used on two different Kubotas, both 24 horse B2150s. They are easily handled. The 4ft one is used where I have some rather narrow spaces I could not make it through with the 5ft. At a very different property the 5 ft Deere is used on steeper ground in places where there are no narrows to worry about. The 4ft Deere had been a pain (replacing shear bolts) but has been OK lately since I got the right tight fitting bolt. The Deere was used and has leaky shaft seals (so I use thick "00" grease in the gearbox. That is common with older cutters. The Bush Hog was new barely used on consignment and I got it from a dealer.
Perfect, thank you very much for the additional info!