New rules for ethanol in gasoline

/ New rules for ethanol in gasoline #1  

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota M9000 HDCC3 M9000 HDC
This applies not only to small engines but gas tractors and motorcycles as well..

The EPA changed their requirement for corn alcohol in gasoline in certain states, effective in 2023. The states of Iowa, Illinois, Minnesota, Ohio, Nebraska. South Dakota and Wisconsin.

Keep in mind that anything over 10% by volume of corn alcohol added to gasoline spells death for small engines. They aren't designed and don't have the fuel systems capable of handling anymore than 10%

The petroleum producers also warned the EPA that the additional corn alcohol would increase the cost per gallon in those states as well, of course the EPA didn't listen.

You cannot pipeline e-gas as it's corrosive to pipelines. It has to be blended in at the refinery and road trucked to filling stations.

I think we all know what 10% e-gas does (without the addition of a stabilizer) now. 15% will be worse.

I already switched my chainsaws and weed trimmers over to syn fuel. It's expensive but I'm tired of dealing with gunked carbs and failed fuel lines on seasonal and occasional use gas powered equipment.

/ New rules for ethanol in gasoline #2  
One word...wow. So it'll corrode pipelines, increase the cost per gallon and ruin anything that it sits in. The reason for using this garbage is what again...remind me?
I just tested a can of gas I got at my non regular station and it was 10%. I dumped it in my truck and went to my regular station which I tested as well and it was still good for now. I don't know what I'll do when I can't get gas.
For the true fuel around here it's CAN $28 for 3-1/4L
1677866109224.png

/ New rules for ethanol in gasoline #3  
what a mess. so not sure what you are implying...that in those states listed, the ethanol % will go up? is ethanol free fuel avail in those states? if so, then why get the $28/gal over non ethanol? absolutely agree the corrosive/ detrimental effects of ethanol on small engines no brainer, been using non for years. just wondering the impact of regulations in the states you listed. regards

/ New rules for ethanol in gasoline #4  
This applies not only to small engines but gas tractors and motorcycles as well..

The EPA changed their requirement for corn alcohol in gasoline in certain states, effective in 2023. The states of Iowa, Illinois, Minnesota, Ohio, Nebraska. South Dakota and Wisconsin.

A link would have been nice. ;)

And I dislike the EPA as much as, or more than, anybody in here. But let's make sure our protests are accurate. Not saying mine are. I don't mind being corrected. Feel free if you are so inclined
Keep in mind that anything over 10% by volume of corn alcohol added to gasoline spells death for small engines. They aren't designed and don't have the fuel systems capable of handling anymore than 10%

How small? 4 stroke or 2 stroke? I can buy Ethanol-Free fuel at a couple of stations down here. So that's a big "So What?" to me.
The petroleum producers also warned the EPA that the additional corn alcohol would increase the cost per gallon in those states as well, of course the EPA didn't listen.

Not so sure of that. When I'm in Michigan, E-85 is all over the place. Cheaper than regular gas by quite a lot. Tells me that Ethanol is cheaper than gasoline.

I ran some in my F-150 with the Flex Fuel Coyote 5.0L which is safe for ethanol. Ran like a striped-assed ape. Ran cooler, too. But it used more, got less MPG. ETA: Be sure to check if you decide to put in something that's turbocharged. Make sure your engine can handle it
You cannot pipeline e-gas as it's corrosive to pipelines. It has to be blended in at the refinery and road trucked to filling stations.

I think they've been doing tht for quite a while with additives.
I think we all know what 10% e-gas does (without the addition of a stabilizer) now. 15% will be worse.

No, I don't know. Back in the day, we had to replace some plastic intake manifolds. Mostly, if not all, on GM Vehicles. Especially Cadillacs. If the OEM has ventured into the 21st Century, their engines should be fine.
I already switched my chainsaws and weed trimmers over to syn fuel. It's expensive but I'm tired of dealing with gunked carbs and failed fuel lines on seasonal and occasional use gas powered equipment.

I can't see where alcohol would 'gunk' a carb. Eat up a fuel line? Sho 'nuff. On the older ones. New ones? Not so sure.

Ethanol is nothing more than an Octane Booster. Raw gas, RBOB blendstock, doesn't burn well in a modern internal combustion engine. Well, it might run but you wouldn't like it very much. Especially once the engine got hot-ish.

Raw gasoline doesn't have the octane. Burns great, combusts just fine. Everywhere. Often, before it gets to the combustion chamber. And when it combusts inside your manifold, bad things happen.

That's why they add alcohol, Ethanol, or something.

1677867484418.png

/ New rules for ethanol in gasoline #5  
The claimed (please don't shoot the messenger here) reasons for ethanol was energy independence from being entirely reliant on oil and ethanol being a renewal resource.

/ New rules for ethanol in gasoline #7  
   / New rules for ethanol in gasoline #9  
so to me it's all about avail of ethanol free fuel in a given state. here, 92 non ethanol is standard, what i go with. in locales where ethanol free is prohibited or not avail, then why? this is where the corn lobby may come into to play
i see no sense in purchasing $28/gal where non ethanol is available. regards

/ New rules for ethanol in gasoline #10  
i see no sense in purchasing $28/gal where non ethanol is available. regards
Makes no sense at all.
I posted it because if I can't get gas anymore that's what it'll cost me. Roughly CAN$7 a liter for true fuel where as now buying gas and two stroke oil it's roughly CAN$2 a liter