New LT42e owner.

/ New LT42e owner. #1  

Singlecoil

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota BX-24D Cub Cadet LT42e
Hi all, I'm new to the cub cadet pages on this site having just purchased the all electric LT42e XT1 to replace my 2008 John Deere LA145 with a 48" deck. The old deck finally rusted completely through, and as replacement decks are hard to find, I decided to trade up.
So far so good. I mow a little more than a half acre and mow a 1.5 mile nature trail. It handles both of those tasks with 35-40% battery left. Super quiet, and tows my bearcat chipper with ease.
Just the idea of not having to deal with ethanol, fuel filters, fuel treatments, oil, oil filters, air filters, belts, etc., is worth the added expense to me. Probably $180 more per year over a ten year lifespan, which you probably spend $100 of on fuel and parts for an ice engine.
Fire away if you have any questions.

/ New LT42e owner. #2  
Yes, I do have questions.
I looked at the ad on the Cub Cadet website.
1. It implies that the transmission is not hydostatic, but direct driven by an electric motor. I assume that there is some gear reduction from the motor to the differential. Is that correct?
2. It also appears that the deck blades are direct driven from an electric motor, 1 each. Is that assumption also correct?
3. What is the warranty on the battery and what would a new replacement battery cost?

Richard

/ New LT42e owner.
It appears that in the rear end, there is an electric motor, then attached to that and directly in line with the rear wheels is another cylinder which would be the gear reduction. There is a forward and reverse pedal just like a hydrostatic drive. You are correct, 2 motors, one for each blade cut the grass.
I think the battery warranty is 4 years, but don't quote me on that. No idea what a replacement battery costs.
I just calculated the cost of the electricity and it costs about $1.50 to charge it from 30% to full.

/ New LT42e owner. #5  
Good job on the video. I would recommend that anyone thinking about buying one should check it out. Keep the updates coming.

/ New LT42e owner.
Thanks, Tom. It seems like there is not a lot of info out there on these units and what is out there was done by folks who received free machines.

/ New LT42e owner. #7  
I've just joined the electric lawn tractor club! I've seen your video and you've done a great job! I had a question though. I coasted down a hill with mine yesterday (the power was off, not sure how that happened). At the bottom of the hill, I went to turn it back on and everything was dead. The display no longer lights up when the key is inserted and the power button does nothing. Even plugging it in, the display normally shows the battery state, it's completely dark. Have you have any experience with fuses or breakers yet?

/ New LT42e owner.
Hmmm. That’s a new one for me. I just did my first mow yesterday after storing it all winter and didn’t have any issues. Please post an update when you get it figured out. A problem I often have is my knee bumps the key and shuts the unit off occasionally.

/ New LT42e owner. #10  
It appears that in the rear end, there is an electric motor, then attached to that and directly in line with the rear wheels is another cylinder which would be the gear reduction. There is a forward and reverse pedal just like a hydrostatic drive. You are correct, 2 motors, one for each blade cut the grass.
I think the battery warranty is 4 years, but don't quote me on that. No idea what a replacement battery costs.
I just calculated the cost of the electricity and it costs about $1.50 to charge it from 30% to full.
Looks like battery replacement not currently available. We discussed the Troybilt 30 inch version about 3 years ago in one of my update seminars, and at that time the replacement battery for it was $1950 for the $2500 mower.