new JR Long Tree Spade

/ new JR Long Tree Spade #1  

daugen

Super Star Member
Tractor
in between now
I had about fifteen berry bushes I needed to move ,and after two operations on my right arm a few months ago, I knew an implement was needed.
I looked at the Paumco unit, and almost bought it, but next year I am likely to get a larger tractor for a new property and I wanted an implement that would be strong enough to work with 100hp, not my current half that. In other words, work on a good utility tractor, not just a CUT. They make two sizes, the smaller one would look more proportioned to my tractor but the larger one worked fine too.

I have found that JR Long implements are very heavily built. Decent welding, typical crappy Long paint job, that hasn't changed sadly.
Lots of rocks where I was digging, so it would catch and raise the tractor, good old granite...but after worrying it a bit, the bushes came up with reasonably sized root balls.
Couple of bare roots, all the dirt fell off, oh well. they will be planted properly.

Definitely a tool for life. Felt like it could dig a shallow ditch quite easily.

Attachments

• IMG_0020.jpg
    IMG_0020.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 181
  • IMG_0028.jpg
    IMG_0028.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 275
  • IMG_0030.jpg
    IMG_0030.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 194
  • IMG_0024.jpg
    IMG_0024.jpg
    946.3 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_0023.jpg
    IMG_0023.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 164
  • IMG_0021.jpg
    IMG_0021.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 145
   / new JR Long Tree Spade #2  
Very nice, I want one! I have a grapple made by them or a relation maybe, WR Long. I think JR is his little brother! :thumbsup:

/ new JR Long Tree Spade
Very nice, I want one! I have a grapple made by them or a relation maybe, WR Long. I think JR is his little brother! :thumbsup:

no you are right, too funny, must be thinking of Dallas...

/ new JR Long Tree Spade #4  
Did you look at any of the longer ones? Wonder how it would work on a big tractor.
Blue Diamond.png

Mine sure works good on the V417.
P7100039.JPG P9290022.JPG P9290030.JPG P9290033.JPG

/ new JR Long Tree Spade #5  
I was thinking of getting one for digging trenches. Has anyone used one for that purpose? How well does it work? Pictures would be great.

A backhoe is not in the budget, but figure I should be able to swing $600 or so for the cheaper tree spade. This would be used on a 30HP tractor.

/ new JR Long Tree Spade

wow, what a neat set up. What else do you use that telescopic capability for?

these things look like they would make neat jousting machines; boy you have the reach to win! ;)

you could saw with yours using the cutting edge, back and forth. hmmm. That would work quite nicely
on roots.

as far as trenching, I'm just speculating, but it sure looked possible, and they of course advertise that it can.
Although those three big teeth on mine in front are not what I would call sharp or cutter type. They look like the type that would
happily survive gnawing on a big granite rock.

/ new JR Long Tree Spade
btw, if I could change the spelling on the title of this thread I would. But the edit period goes past quickly so
JR it is. didn't he come back yet another time? or was it a dream?...

/ new JR Long Tree Spade #8  

wow, what a neat set up. What else do you use that telescopic capability for?

these things look like they would make neat jousting machines; boy you have the reach to win! ;)

you could saw with yours using the cutting edge, back and forth. hmmm. That would work quite nicely
on roots. Yep, they do. I have cut lots of roots and removed lots of stumps. :thumbsup:

as far as trenching, I'm just speculating, but it sure looked possible, and they of course advertise that it can I haven't needed to trench with mine, but I know it would do it.
--------------------
Here are a few uses for the telescoping boom.

Brush hogging across a silted in creek. If I moved forward the front wheels would sink to the axle!
PA010016.JPG PA010009.JPG

Making big brush piles.
P4140018.JPG P4200008.JPG

Pushing over dead trees: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...our-technique-removing-trees.html#post3356253
P6230015.JPG P6230029.JPG

Getting unstuck: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...t/160568-compact-telehandler.html#post3526054
P7100064.JPG P7100071.JPG

Putting up 40' long metal trusses: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...307243-skid-steer-vs-tractor.html#post3723553
P1250022.JPG P1250028.JPG