New GPS Navigation System

/ New GPS Navigation System #12  
I do lots of spraying on athletic fields with a John Deere Gator with a 50 gal tank. This is the unit I use and it works well for me. CropCare 2.5 Gallon Foam Marker System (F2500) with Control Box, Drop Tubes, 33′ of Discharge Hose, 8-Ounces of Foam Concentrate – Doxsap Be careful looking at that one for $72.95. Here is a link to the same unit for $879. Superior Tech Foam Marking Kit - 2.5 gal - LP22914 I think I paid about $500 for the last one I ordered.

I looked into a GPS for my sprayer and found one for about $1200. I was concerned that it would be difficult to see the screen in full sunlight, and the foam would be easier to see. I also have an app on my Iphone that I use to monitor my speed, and it records my path too. I think I paid $5 for that app. When I'm done spraying, I send a copy of the recorded path to my customer.

My spray width is only 12', so seeing the foam from the last path is easy.

I also have this same foam marker on my 6' seeder. Many times when seeding ryegrass into bermuda athletic fields, I can not see where I passed before. The foam marker is a big help on that. I don't think a gps would be as easy to use on a 6' wide implement at speeds up to 8 mph.

Last edited:
   / New GPS Navigation System #13  
so how is it the cars/ phones are barely within feet accurate, but the farming stuff is sub in? what are they doing different with these gps's?

/ New GPS Navigation System #14  
so how is it the cars/ phones are barely within feet accurate, but the farming stuff is sub in? what are they doing different with these gps's?
From what I understand, you have to buy a subscription from Trimble to get “sub-inch” accuracy. You also need a “base station” located on a site with known coordinates and elevation that can triangulate from the satellites to your equipment.

I also understand that RTK technology is making all of this easier, cheaper, and more accurate.

Here is a screen shot of the app I use. It is within about 1-3’. I don’t use this for tracking, but use it more for record keeping.
The app is called “Speedometer”

Attachments

• BCD20116-B257-4C31-B294-322C0AA5A6C7.png
    BCD20116-B257-4C31-B294-322C0AA5A6C7.png
    5.6 MB · Views: 103
   / New GPS Navigation System #15  
Yes sir, it works pretty good when spraying but won't do you any good when spreading granular fertilizer
All depends on what type of spreader you are using and what type of fertilizer too. I use a liquid fertilizer as well as granular so I apply it (liquid), 28% with my boom spray rig with foam markers but if I run granular (46 granulated Urea) it's via a rotary broadcast spreader so the system you employ would work for that as I too line up with a distant object (I use the hood mascot in the tractor to line up with) and my broadcast spreader lays down a 40 foot swath so I space off (estimate) the 40 foot interval and it is a PITA but it don't make the electronic system viable because I mostly apply liquid with the foam marker.

/ New GPS Navigation System
All depends on what type of spreader you are using and what type of fertilizer too. I use a liquid fertilizer as well as granular so I apply it (liquid), 28% with my boom spray rig with foam markers but if I run granular (46 granulated Urea) it's via a rotary broadcast spreader so the system you employ would work for that as I too line up with a distant object (I use the hood mascot in the tractor to line up with) and my broadcast spreader lays down a 40 foot swath so I space off (estimate) the 40 foot interval and it is a PITA but it don't make the electronic system viable because I mostly apply liquid with the foam marker.
He asked me if I had tried marking foam, that is what I was saying that marking foam works good for spraying but it didn't do me much good spreading granular fertilizer, I did the same thing for years while putting out granular fertilizer for years, tied ribbon on the end of the field to sight to, had my wife or one of my boys step it off for me, etc but this GPS lets me do it accurately without having to inconvienence anyone else.

/ New GPS Navigation System #17  
I pick out a convenient tree at the border of a field and use that to start with and then in my head set the spacing. I don't have any 'able bodies' to help me. If I'm applying 28 liquid, I use the foam marker. Around here, 46 has went through the roof and is hard to get (have to pre order and hope it comes in) where as 28 is pretty well available. Not cheap either.

I pick out a convenient tree at the border of a field and use that to start with and then in my head set the spacing. I don't have any 'able bodies' to help me. If I'm applying 28 liquid, I use the foam marker. Around here, 46 has went through the roof and is hard to get (have to pre order and hope it comes in) where as 28 is pretty well available. Not cheap either.
Yesterday I paid $ 765.00 dollars per ton of 21-0-21 granular, that is down about $ 100.00 per ton from what it was.

/ New GPS Navigation System #19  
Yes sir, it works pretty good when spraying but won't do you any good when spreading granular fertilizer
I'm planning to drop the foam under the centerline of the tractor rather than at the ends of a sprayer boom, for example. With a spraying pass width of about five feet its easy enough to judge where to make the next pass. The same would be true with a lawn fertilizer or seed broadcast spreader. Just need to know where the last pass was and not have to rely on tracks in the lawn or field.

I'm planning to drop the foam under the centerline of the tractor rather than at the ends of a sprayer boom, for example. With a spraying pass width of about five feet its easy enough to judge where to make the next pass. The same would be true with a lawn fertilizer or seed broadcast spreader. Just need to know where the last pass was and not have to rely on tracks in the lawn or field.
Yes sir, I probably should have said it wouldn't do me much good , but in your application I would think it would work well.