New GPS Navigation System

/ New GPS Navigation System #1  

Lineman North Florida

Veteran Member
Tractor
Farmtrac 360 DTC with FEL & John Deere 5093E with FEL ,Kubota SVL 75-2
Did a little spraying this morning and got to try out my new Raven GPS system and man is it a game changer for being accurate down to a few inches, I have always guesstimated and or tied ribbon on tree limbs on the ends and felt like I was pretty good but I believe this will make me a little more proficient overall when applying herbicide, pesticide and fertilizer.
20220820_093254 (1).jpg
20220820_093206.jpg

Attachments

• 20220820_093254.jpg
    20220820_093254.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 103
   / New GPS Navigation System #2  
Awesome! Next step is RTK to get down to sub-inch accuracy for mowing!

Seriously, though, I can see the day were subcompact tractors will have a GPS option that is reasonably priced. Applying chemicals that are not visible on the ground is a guessing game involving looking for tire tracks that are not always visible depending on sun location. I've used spaced "wire flags" with some success.

I'm currently putting together a shop made foam marking system that is old technology at best but should be helpful in making reasonably accurate spaced passes for spraying and broadcasting lawn products.

/ New GPS Navigation System #3  
I have noticed that older GPS would lose signal running along tree lines. Did your newer system have any problems with signal loss?

/ New GPS Navigation System
It didn't yesterday, but that was my first time using it, we will have to see as time will tell. It's probably to high tech for me as it has many features and functions, but I am only using it in the simplified mode, basically just painting lines where I have been and setting a line for my next pass.

Awesome! Next step is RTK to get down to sub-inch accuracy for mowing!

Seriously, though, I can see the day were subcompact tractors will have a GPS option that is reasonably priced. Applying chemicals that are not visible on the ground is a guessing game involving looking for tire tracks that are not always visible depending on sun location. I've used spaced "wire flags" with some success.

I'm currently putting together a shop made foam marking system that is old technology at best but should be helpful in making reasonably accurate spaced passes for spraying and broadcasting lawn products.
Foam marking systems do work, but the prices on these GPS units are getting more affordable all the while.

/ New GPS Navigation System #6  
Which model of the Raven system are you using? May I ask the price?

Which model of the Raven system are you using? May I ask the price?
Raven CR7 , it was not quite $3,400.00 but there is a program in my area where the Water Management District pays you back a big percentage of the purchase price, so after I got re-imbursed I didn't have that much in it.

/ New GPS Navigation System #8  
That's interesting! What is the Water Management District involvement all about?

That's interesting! What is the Water Management District involvement all about?
They want you to be more accurate with liquid fertilizer and granular fertilizer and their thoughts are that if you are spot on with your application which you should be with a GPS unit you are using less which in their minds equals less runoff into creeks , rivers, streams, etc. You are also supposed to maintain a 50' distance from bodies of water when applying fertilizers and pesticides which is easy to do with the GPS by setting a boundary.