New garage time!

/ New garage time! #1,191  
M thoughts are that since you are converting one form of energy into another, you are gong to loose some energy along the way. This needs more study to see if it's a good idea, but why not just lay some black plastic pipe on the roof and pump antifreeze through that into your pex?

Or put a solar collector against the south wall and just use natural convection to move the heat into the building.

Honestly I would budget an amount per month to insulate. Adding insulation is going to give you the most bang for your buck.

And yes I remember raising a family through some pretty lean years. It was tough but with creative ideas we made it.

/ New garage time! #1,192  
Insulating the ceiling gives you the most bang for the buck. Insulating the walls has a very small return. If the walls are wrapped and sealed so wind can't get through them, then you will see a significant difference by just insulating the ceiling.

Over time, you can improve this by insulating the walls, a little at time.

/ New garage time!
#1,193  
The power isn't there yet, and the cost of electricity cost is very expensive. This isn't a final solution, just something to get me some heat while I'm getting there. And yes, I'll be using rv antifreeze and water mix for the system.

/ New garage time!
#1,194  
M thoughts are that since you are converting one form of energy into another, you are gong to loose some energy along the way. This needs more study to see if it's a good idea, but why not just lay some black plastic pipe on the roof and pump antifreeze through that into your pex?

Or put a solar collector against the south wall and just use natural convection to move the heat into the building.

Honestly I would budget an amount per month to insulate. Adding insulation is going to give you the most bang for your buck.

And yes I remember raising a family through some pretty lean years. It was tough but with creative ideas we made it.
The roof is 25' up and not easily or regularly accessible. Getting a bunch of panels up there isn't bad, but much more is a challenge. I'm going to use the radiant floor heating eventually but at the current electric rates using grid power to heat especially when I'll loose a bulk of it is wasting money.
Insulating the ceiling gives you the most bang for the buck. Insulating the walls has a very small return. If the walls are wrapped and sealed so wind can't get through them, then you will see a significant difference by just insulating the ceiling.

Over time, you can improve this by insulating the walls, a little at time.
I will look into the cost of insulating the ceiling, that seems much more doable. The cost of the walls is over $10k plus i'm not ready to do that until i finish electrical and plumbing.

/ New garage time!
#1,195  
Need to start building retaining wall on the garage now that I'm at that point. Cleared a bunch of weeds, blocks, boards, etc out. I took some measurements, dropped some pins, ran string and started setting blocks. Not cemented down yet, just trying to get an idea. Wanted to get some dirt up from the pile, but my flood lights were not functional due to something wrong with the rats nest of the wires.

I'll pick up more block this week and some mortar mix. I'm not sure how I'm going to top. the block. Then a few loads of stone and some corrugated pipe to run under it, then top with dirt. I think I'm going to drill the base and put rods in and cement them in to prevent them from moving when weight of dirt and stone is applied.

Xjh5xXO.jpg

oYVsyXQ.jpg

/ New garage time! #1,196  
A common mistake that people make is to have a step down from the door. When walking out of a building, the first step should be almost at the same height of the floor. An inch lower is the most you want. That landing prevents falling, which is common when the step is 7 inches lower then the door.

Did you finish your insulation or are you going to buy blocks and do landscaping instead?

/ New garage time!
#1,197  
A common mistake that people make is to have a step down from the door. When walking out of a building, the first step should be almost at the same height of the floor. An inch lower is the most you want. That landing prevents falling, which is common when the step is 7 inches lower then the door.

Did you finish your insulation or are you going to buy blocks and do landscaping instead?
I don't like the step, it was just a matter of backfilling which I never got around to. Then it got overgrown with weeds, discarded boards, blocks, bricks, etc and was a real mess, and I wanted to get it cleaned up. Plus that step down onto plywood that's falling apart is a real hazard.

I have a 16x32' slab sitting there, i'm going to build a pavilion over top of it to house the solar panels, which will then power the heater system I designed. Once the backfill and block is laid, I can build the pavilion, then mount the panels, then build the heating system, then insulate the roof.

The annoying part is the top of the door sil is dead level with the top of the block just sitting there, even without mortar. I don't want the water to pour onto the pavilion slab, but I also don't want it going back into the garage. So I'm going to fill a lot of that with stone and 4" slotted drain pipe, then cover that with dirt, and have a drain out the back end.

We just had 5" of rain in 24hr, so it reinforced the idea in my mind that it does happen, and it makes a mess of things if the water has no where to go.

pEW3Vlv.jpg

/ New garage time! #1,198  
I have a 16x32' slab sitting there, i'm going to build a pavilion over top of it to house the solar panels
I'm no solar-physicist, but I don't think building a pavilion roof over your solar panels is going to give the best energy production.

Kidding. Good plan for the step and drainage - give the water a place to go. I forget, do you have or plan to have gutters?

/ New garage time!
#1,199  
I'm no solar-physicist, but I don't think building a pavilion roof over your solar panels is going to give the best energy production.

Kidding. Good plan for the step and drainage - give the water a place to go. I forget, do you have or plan to have gutters?
i will have gutters, that's what the pipe sticking out of the ground is for. There's 4 of them, one on each corner, that all connect and join at the low back corner that drains into a pit. As is, it the water drains strait off, and goes into the gravel on top of the drain pipes which have holes, and still end up draining to the pit.

/ New garage time!
#1,200  
Prepped the block area, got 3 corners up. Hardest part is done, next i'll fill in the walls. I'm not sure how I'm going to top them. Once walls are done, then drain hose, backfill with stone, then top with dirt, then plant grass.

GGshyze.jpg

eOdktTn.jpg

TwAMXL6.jpg

S6TXVG0.jpg