New 2638 glow plug question

/ New 2638 glow plug question #1  

baldyfan

Tractor
olderjd for now
I just picked up a new 2638 and the glow plug(s) are confusing me. The manual just says to "turn the key left" and it will cycle the plugs. Turning the key does light up the symbol, but it doesn't stay lit. I held it left for a 30 count, and the tractor started right up (40 degrees F). The light stayed on for another 30 seconds before going out.

It doesn't seem right that a full minute at this temperature would be normal...or is it?

/ New 2638 glow plug question #2  
You need to read the manual or talk to somebody at the dealership. Some systems have a time or temperature sensor on the glow plugs. Other machines are completely manual on the glow plug operation. On those you hold the switch in the on position for the designated time then attempt to start the tractor. On both my tractors I must hold the key on the glow plug position for the designated time.

/ New 2638 glow plug question #3  
You need to read the manual or talk to somebody at the dealership. Some systems have a time or temperature sensor on the glow plugs. Other machines are completely manual on the glow plug operation. On those you hold the switch in the on position for the designated time then attempt to start the tractor. On both my tractors I must hold the key on the glow plug position for the designated time.

Ditto on the manual. My new Kioti NX has a manual glow plug position (key towards you) and an automatic function when the key is turned to on where the glow light comes on for 8 seconds or less depending on the temperature sensor reading. My 2011 Mahindra 3616 only has the automatic operation.

/ New 2638 glow plug question #4  
I just picked up a new 2638 and the glow plug(s) are confusing me. The manual just says to "turn the key left" and it will cycle the plugs. Turning the key does light up the symbol, but it doesn't stay lit. I held it left for a 30 count, and the tractor started right up (40 degrees F). The light stayed on for another 30 seconds before going out.

It doesn't seem right that a full minute at this temperature would be normal...or is it?
I don't believe your Mahindra has glow plugs.

/ New 2638 glow plug question
I don't believe your Mahindra has glow plugs.
I think it has 1. It is used as an intake heater according to the drawing in the Service manual.

/ New 2638 glow plug question #6  
The Mahindra has an intake heater. If it’s like mine you turn the key to the “on” position (nothing to hold), wait 30” and start the vehicle. The heater will stay on for 30” after it has started.

The system is “dumb” in that is runs that heater every time. If it’s warm I don’t wait before I start the machine. That saves a bit of use- it will still do the 30” after starting though.

The Mahindra has an intake heater. If itç—´ like mine you turn the key to the ç™»n position (nothing to hold), wait 30 and start the vehicle. The heater will stay on for 30 after it has started.

The system is 電umb in that is runs that heater every time. If it痴 warm I don稚 wait before I start the machine. That saves a bit of use- it will still do the 30 after starting though.

RNeumann- Thank you very much for the info. I have both an OP manual and Service manual-your reply/personal experience is worth more than both manuals!

/ New 2638 glow plug question #8  
I have a 2016 2538 (older version but same power train as 2638). In cold weather I turn the key to the left and hold it until the glow light indicator goes out, which is almost a minute, before starting. Then the light stays off after start up.

When it's warmer and I turn the key on, wait 5 seconds and start it up, the glow light indicator is on for about 30 seconds, then goes out. It's done this since the first day I've had it.

If you listen closely, you can hear the engine tone change when the glow light indicator goes out if you're just sitting there idling.

Don't think you have anything to worry about. Just be sure to engage the heater/glow system completely in cold weather before starting.

/ New 2638 glow plug question #9  
100% Agree with OP. I read the manual, did what it said, but the tractor didn't do what the manual said! It can be 90 out and it runs the glow plug! Dumb it certainly is.

RKneumann, good info as always! And thanks OP for asking!

I ordered the block heater for this, and will install soon, might post a video online since I don't see any for our tractors.

I have a 2016 2538 (older version but same power train as 2638). In cold weather I turn the key to the left and hold it until the glow light indicator goes out, which is almost a minute, before starting. Then the light stays off after start up.

When it's warmer and I turn the key on, wait 5 seconds and start it up, the glow light indicator is on for about 30 seconds, then goes out. It's done this since the first day I've had it.

If you listen closely, you can hear the engine tone change when the glow light indicator goes out if you're just sitting there idling.

Don't think you have anything to worry about. Just be sure to engage the heater/glow system completely in cold weather before starting.

I will try holding to the left. I am glad to hear from everyone, but especially from those that have a 2538/2638. Thank you all for taking the time to offer assistance.