Need advice on tilting deck trailer replacement options

/ Need advice on tilting deck trailer replacement options #1  

Fallon

Tractor
Kubota L4060hstc, formerly L3200hst
I'm looking at replacing my 16' tilting deck trailer. It's just way to short. It only lasted this long because I can set the loader/bucket on the really long tongue.I also hate the 6" rim around the deck that prevents easy pallet fork usage. I have a bad back, so want to avoid the hassle & noise of ramps. So i'm going to stick with a tilting deck os some sort. My current deck is steel, which is nice, not sure if i'll get a steel deck or go with the default of wood.

At any rate the next one will be a 14k lbs (give or take tongue weight) bumper pull. My L4060 weighs a little over 5,000lbs + a couple thousand lbs for a couple implements. With a trailer weighing around 3,000lbs on it's own, that's a bit tight for a 10k trailer. I don't feel like going any more overkill than a pair of 7k axles as that could push me towards breaking 26,000lbs GVWR & commercial drivers license territory depending on what I replace the beater F250 with. I'd like a goose neck, but the lack of flexibility & the utility bed & pipe rack on the current beater F250 make that a non option. I was set on another gravity tilt, but the thought of a deckover power tilt has been running through my mind, despite the price. Ramps are cheaper, but i'd rather pay for a tilting deck due to ease of use & my bad back. Will mostly be used for hauling the tractor & tractor implements, but there will likely be a bit of other random material hauling & other uses as well.

20-22' gravity tilting deck trailer (4-6' fixed deck)
  • Lower profile & center of gravity
  • Easy to ballance the load as the pivot is between the axles (just drive 15% up the deck past the point the deck tilts)
  • Long tail can't support much weight due to ballance issues compared to a trailer with ramps of equal length
  • Fenders limit part of the load to usually 80-83"

20-22' hydraulic tilt deckover
  • $1k or so more for the hydraulics & overall setup
  • Taller which can be a pain
  • No fenders to obscure loading stuff from the side or wide impliments loading normally
  • Harder to balance (but not really that hard with a relatively consistent tractor load)
  • Axles are a little further back making the tail more usable balance wise

Leading contenders with a good reputation:
  • Travalong - slightly beefier & more expensive than the others, what my Kubota dealer sells & delivers with
  • Diamond C
  • Big Tex - rub rail & stake pockets, split tail (sucks to load a lawnmower & stuff on)
  • PJ - Good reputation
  • Load Trail - rub rails & stake pockets, full width tail

Other local options I don't know much about I've seen advertised a bit:
  • Texas Pride - Seems to be marketing locally with no local dealers delivered from Texas
  • CarryOn
  • IronBull - Steel deck, full width tail, rub rails & stake pockets
  • Rice

Not likely:
  • Kauffman - Some people have had bad issues, no local dealers

Would suspension type be a deal breaker for most people?
  • Double eye leaf springs - Quieter, can equalize load across axles
  • Slipper springs - Heavier load capacity, slipping end can pop loose under rare circumstances, noisier, can't eqalize
  • Torsion springs - Quiet, won't equalize (great on single axle trailers)

So, any recommendations for a gravity tilt vs. deckover power tilt? Any recommendations for brand? Any considerations I'm missing?

/ Need advice on tilting deck trailer replacement options #2  
Sounds like you have all the bases covered. I've been very happy with my 22' 14k PJ model TF Full Tilt trailer for the past 3 years. Low 22" trailer deck height, easy to balance load, 82" between the fenders, axles are located back far enough, easy side loading. Even with my 2500HD and fully loaded trailer I'm under 26K. PJ has deckover tilts too. I've attached a pic with tractor on trailer and an empty trailer with measurement specs.

Attachments

• PJ dimensions.jpg
    PJ dimensions.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 195
  • DSCN1795 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN1795 (Medium).JPG
    301 KB · Views: 180
   / Need advice on tilting deck trailer replacement options
It turns out a Diamond C power tilt deck over was the right trailer as of Friday afternoon.

Sold the 16' for less than I wanted, but about $600 more than I paid for it at auction 4ish years ago. So I can't complain to much.

Diamond C was a bit more than the other options, but a little nicer quality. I just couldn't get over the clear access to the deck from every angle & stake pockets & rub rails down the side. Not a fan of the steering deck angle (couldn't load in reverse in 2wd), but the other factors outweigh that.

It tows nice, a lot nicer than my 16', or even my 3,500lbs single axle camper. Hitched it up to my Tacoma (has working A/C) & went for a 2 hour drive to pick up an antenna tower. 4,100lbs of trailer vs. 6,500lbs of tow capacity pulled beautiful even at freeway speeds. Thanks to bad Google maps directions we ended up the side of a mountain on a dirt road with tight switchbacks. Still pulled great & loved the ground clearance. Only had to put it in 4wd a few times. :-o There were some killer views up there. No damage anywhere other than dust.

Why did you go with a power tilt low profile trailer George? I'm trying to figure out what power tilt gives you over gravity tilt with the fenders there to contend with. Does that setup mean the pivot can be further back for better ballance? My 16' ballance & pivoted between the axles, I'm sure resulting in not pulling well empty.

26b55cc194f54ae6b08bc5dba664e4b4.jpg
3217d4dafd555a1fe0745b5b0e806551.jpg
a6d9e060389348fa4020592073528c05.jpg

/ Need advice on tilting deck trailer replacement options #4  
Why did you go with a power tilt low profile trailer George? I'm trying to figure out what power tilt gives you over gravity tilt with the fenders there to contend with. Does that setup mean the pivot can be further back for better ballance? My 16' ballance & pivoted between the axles, I'm sure resulting in not pulling well empty.

Congrats on the new trailer.
My fenders are fixed. PJ says the are easily removable but they are bolted on and have clearance lights so they aren't easy. They are also taller than fenders on my previous tilt trailer which can make it hard to open a car door.
The pivot point is behind the rear axle so gravity tilt would not work.
Axles are placed further back like a standard trailer allowing for greater tongue weight when empty. My PJ weighs around 3860 lb. empty but it is 14K rated. My truck has 15K tow cap.

/ Need advice on tilting deck trailer replacement options #5  
That's a good looking trailer, my Stryker tilt bed is very tongue heavy but after hauling everything from a few hundred pound lawn mower to about 12,000 lbs. of tractor and equipment on it I think I like it. I have a wench on mine and when a couple of young fellows broke down just down the road from my house their Dad was real grateful I had it. I loaded them up so easy I did not even charge them for the tow. :)

/ Need advice on tilting deck trailer replacement options #6  
What is it, 20 ft?

/ Need advice on tilting deck trailer replacement options
22' deck.

/ Need advice on tilting deck trailer replacement options #8  
Nice. You're gonna love it.