Buying Advice Need advice on an MT4201

/ Need advice on an MT4201 #1  

Kernopelli

Veteran Member
Tractor
Mitsubishi MTE2000D, Dig It 258 Mini Ex, Deere Z930A ZTR
I have owned 5 Mitsubishis over the years so I am pretty familiar with them but need some advice. A buddy of mine has come across an (MT, I assume) 4201D. It has a nice loader with new lift cylinders, good tires, rear remotes, good paint, shuttle shift and P.S. Both my buddy and the seller report to me that it fires right up cold (it was 40 degrees this morning) and purrs like a 4 cyl. Mits should. From what I can find, it is a 4 cyl. turbo w/ 50 HP/ 42 PTO hp . Pretty similar to a few MT 4501's I've looked at. I know that some of the 4501's were sold in the U.S. but assume this tractor to be a grey model....but don't know for certain. Here's the rub....the guy says he's owned it for 5 yrs and only put 100 hrs on it--which I believe to be true, the bad part is he was told from the "dealer" he bought it from at an Ag. sale in North Carolina that it was a "0" hr. reconditioned tractor. To me, this screams "Vietnam rebuild" but I have no way of knowing for sure. The fact that he's had 5yr/100hrs of trouble free time makes me feel a little more at ease AND I do have a friend that has a trouble free 4yr old/ 300 hr of use Nam rebuild so I assume it's at least possible to get a decent one. The guy is asking $8000 and would probably take $7500. Do I give my buddy my blessing on buying it or tell him to run.

/ Need advice on an MT4201 #2  
It probably is a "Vietnam rebuild", but if he has had it for that long, I would hope that any problems were found.