My NX6010

/ My NX6010 #1,311  
Eric, I too had the same issue happen to my DK35SE, except it damaged my hood also. When I sold that tractor & upgraded to a DK45SE, this how I solved that problem & my lighting issue. Had it powder coated, couldn't find orange to match so I went with black. 20170702_135506.jpg20170702_135441.jpg

/ My NX6010 #1,312  
A grill guard is still on my "wish" list :eek: It wouldn't have, however, protected me from denting my hood: piece of wood flew out of my grapple and smacked on top of the top front corner of the hood. Interestingly, I'd also managed to dent my Kubota's hood! An involuntary christening, I suspect (both incidents happening early-on) ;)

My mirrors and safety sign (triangle) tend to do periodic battles with brush and tree limbs. Driver's side mirror's housing has a stress crack on the bottom where the mounting rod runs, but it hasn't affected operation (still rigid). While I don't shy away from getting into some tight areas I DO make sure I step up on my awareness.

/ My NX6010 #1,313  
Yes Threepoint this is new with the NX series. The DK series hydrostat was mechanically controlled with the forward and reverse peddles. The peddles were also mechanically interlocked making it impossible to activate forward and reverse at the same time.

The NX series now uses an electrical signal from the peddle to activate the hydrostat. When you press a peddle you are moving a potentiometer with no physical connection to the transmission. The lockout is designed to protect the transmission from being told to advance both forward and reverse at the same time. This new electric operation allows Kioti to add the new features like no stall and PTO cruise and linked peddle.

You are correct about the poor documentation on this. Had I not been struggling to solve the " jumping out of gear" issue for a customer over a year ago I would have had no clue. I could not duplicate the problem or find anything physically wrong with the transmission. We started thinking about other possibilities and stumbled upon a brief note in the service manual. As it turns out my customers boots were too big LOL. Shortly after solving this one we got another complaint about jumping out of gear. A quick visit on site and some demonstration with the customer solved the problem. Both machines have not "jumped out of gear" since. As I mentioned before, we now include this topic in our customer training when delivering a new NX series tractor.

As I mentioned before it sounds like Eric has a completely different issue but I will bet that this knowledge will solve a few of the others.
Hi Hard Knox. I HOPE you still monitor this site... I just read some posts from 2016 about the peddles on a hydrostatic range shifted Kioti NX Series tractor. I just purchased my first ever tractor. I've never operated one before. It is a used NX4510 HST CAB.

I have only had it a week and not driven it much. The other day I was trying to brush hog for the first time. I don't know what I did beforehand, but when I put the shifter in neutral and set the parking brake to get out to see how low the brush hog was to the ground, the engine cut off when I got up out of the seat. I got back in the seat and tried to start the tractor but nothing happened. It didn't even try to turn over.
I immediately freaked out and called the person that I purchased the tractor from. He said yeah, it does that sometimes. He didn't tell me that before I purchased it and asked if anything was wrong with it. So, he told me to try and start it while moving the shift lever to different positions. Sure enough it started when I moved the shifter from neutral to M.

Now I'm able to start and use the tractor but the range shifter is out of sync with the dash lights and transmission. I have to move the shifter around while trying to crank it to find neutral. I'm wondering if I somehow pressed both peddles at the same time and through it out of calibration? If so, it isn't resetting itself.

As 3-point mentioned, there is nothing much in the owners manual on this. There is surprisingly no YouTube videos mentioning this either. By luck, I came across this thread in a Google search.

Finally my question, is there a way to manually sync the shift lever with the dash lights and transmission??

Thank you in advance!

Pete

/ My NX6010 #1,314  
Hard Knocks, thanks for posting this. I think it may indeed be the explanation for what I thought was the transmission popping into neutral the few times it happened to me with my NX4510HST cab. Last night I spent 45 minutes grading our access road and did some experimenting. Pressing simultaneously on the forward/reverse pedals, even lightly, caused the HST to go into safe mode and the Calibration light to come on as you describe. I then had to wait a few seconds before either pedal would make the tractor move again. It was only about three seconds, but if, in the meantime, I pressed either pedal, safe mode would not clear until I kept my foot off the pedals for the full three seconds. It is easy to see how this could produce an endless cycle for a few moments, as the tendency is to keep trying to nudge the tractor either forward or backward while fiddling with the range selector lever.

Thinking back again on the few times I thought the tractor was popping out of Mid range into neutral, I now suspect this is what was happening instead. Unlike in Eric's case, I heard no sound to indicate the shift lever actually moved. And while I wasn't looking at the shift lever as it was happening, it seemed to be in the same position the whole time, and the range indicator light on the instrument panel continued to display "M". In a post above (#1101), I noted that raising and lowering the FEL allowed the tractor to start moving again, hence my speculation that this might be related to hydraulic flow. Now I suspect that just keeping my foot off the F or R pedals while I worked the joystick was actually what cleared the condition, just by allowing the safe mode enough time to clear!

This morning I went through the owner's manual for the NX seriein your 2016 0ist s to see if there is any mention of this "safe mode" feature. Nope. I only saw only one reference at all to the Calibration light (in Sec. 4-19), and even that was simply to identify the light on the instrument panel. Nothing at all about what the light means if it comes on. Sec. 4-16 identifies the Calibration switch, located on the right-side fender cover, but says only that "The switch is to calibrate response of HST. Only for service," and says to contact the dealer "if you need to calibrate the action of HST."

Hard Knocks, do you know if the "safe mode" feature that we're talking about is new with the NX series? Seems to me this is something that Kioti should add to future printing of the owner's manual. Probably even worthy of a "sticky" on TBN's Kioti forum. :)

Time will tell if this is really the answer to the "popping into neutral" issue in my particular case. But seems to fit.
Hi 3-point. I'm new to tractors and this site. I'm having an issue much like you described in your 2016 post concerning your hst being out of calibration. If you still monitor this site could you write me back and try ro help me?

Thank you,

Pete

Last edited:
   / My NX6010
#1,315  
Hi 3-point. I'm new to tractors and this site. I'm having an issue much like you described in your 2016 post concerning your hst being out of calibration. If you still monitor this site could you write me back and try ro help me?

If it is easier for you, my email is

Thank you,

Pete

Pete, delete your email before the bots find it and you're getting 300 offers a day in your in box. I think (but don't know) that the shift sending unit is installed on the transmission. I it likely a rotary style swtch and if I'm right, is item 52 on the equipment one group.
Screen Shot 2022-09-30 at 12.28.31 PM.png

Last edited:
   / My NX6010 #1,316  
Thank you Eric !

I have a cab tractor. I wonder how difficult would be to replace it myself. The dealer is 20 miles away. They want $300.00 just for pickup and delivery.

/ My NX6010 #1,317  

Thank you,

Pete
Hi Pete, welcome to TBN. The condition you describe above in your question to Hard Knox (post #1,313) is not what I was describing in my observations back in 2016 about depressing both the forward and reverse hydro pedals at the same time. In my case, it was indeed simply the system going into "safe mode" for about 3 seconds. No out-of-sync calibration and nothing wrong with my tractor. Once I understood the safe-mode issue, and have been more careful with my big feet, it's been a non-issue for the last 6 years. :)

Your case is a different issue, since it involves the inability to restart the tractor until you fiddle with the shift lever. I tend to agree with Eric's thought that your shift sending unit, part 52 in the diagram, might be what's causing your symptoms. Your condition indeed sounds like it's related to the safety switch, but whether it's a tempermental switch, or an out-of-adjustment shift linkage that's triggering the safety switch, I have no idea. :unsure: Hopefully Eric can advise on how hard it would be to get to and replace the switch assembly. And whether there's an easy way to adjust the shift lever linkage before going to that length.

BTW, I notice that Hard Knox has not been seen on the forum since November, 2017, so I doubt he'll see your post! Maybe a private message would be relayed to him?

Last edited:
   / My NX6010 #1,319  
Hi Pete, welcome to TBN. The condition you describe above in your question to Hard Knox (post #1,313) is not what I was describing in my observations back in 2016 about depressing both the forward and reverse hydro pedals at the same time. In my case, it was indeed simply the system going into "safe mode" for about 3 seconds. No out-of-sync calibration and nothing wrong with my tractor. Once I understood the safe-mode issue, and have been more careful with my big feet, it's been a non-issue for the last 6 years. :)

Your case is a different issue, since it involves the inability to restart the tractor until you fiddle with the shift lever. I tend to agree with Eric's thought that your shift sending unit, part 52 in the diagram, might be what's causing your symptoms. Your condition indeed sounds like it's related to the safety switch, but whether it's a tempermental switch, or an out-of-adjustment shift linkage that's triggering the safety switch, I have no idea. :unsure: Hopefully Eric can advise on how hard it would be to get to and replace the switch assembly. And whether there's an easy way to adjust the shift lever linkage before going to that length.

BTW, I notice that Hard Knox has not been seen on the forum since November, 2017, so I doubt he'll see your post! Maybe a private message would be relayed to him?
Hi threepoint, thanks for the reply. I'm going to have to do something because aside from finding the right range, it is getting rather tough to move the shift lever. I don't want to force it. I suppose I'll have to have the Kioti dealer look at it.