My Industrial Cabin Build

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #2,822  
What would be the benefit of using a 15 amp recepticle?

It's kind of weird and contrary to what you'd think. In reality, you're only supposed to use a 20A receptacle (has a sideways T shape slot on the neutral) on a dedicated 20A circuit where it's the *only* receptacle. So you wouldn't ever be using 20A receptacles on typical branch circuits with multiple receptacles -- you'd be using 15A receptacles there.

Per code, when you use/see a 20A receptacle, it means it's the only one and the wire runs directly back to the panel. That receptacle is capable of a full 20A load all the time. Normally you only see these for refrigerators, washing machines, etc.

In my house, I have several 20A circuits, but only the fridge receptacle in the kitchen is dedicated with the special plug. We have a 20A circuit for all the other receptacles in the kitchen but they have to use 15A receptacles because they are all on the same circuit. Same goes for the two 20A circuits in my workshop. They both have 4-5 receptacles but all are 15A receptacles.

Probably the only "benefit" is cost, since 15A receptacles cost less. Someone may think putting in all 20A receptacles on a 20A circuit is better at any expense, but technically it's a code violation if there is more than one receptacle on the circuit. I don't know if there are 20A rated receptacles with a standard 15A plug shape (which would be conservative and safe in my opinion). I certainly have never seen them. We just know standard 15A receptacles are rated to pass through a 20A circuit.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #2,823  
It's kind of weird and contrary to what you'd think. In reality, you're only supposed to use a 20A receptacle (has a sideways T shape slot on the neutral) on a dedicated 20A circuit where it's the *only* receptacle.
I didn't know this. In my workshop, I ran two 20 amp lines to my work bench area and a third dedicated line for my air compressor. There are 3 outlets on each of the workbench lines and I used the T shaped 20 amp outlets on every one of those outlets. I had no idea that I did that wrong.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #2,824  
I’m not sure it’s wrong, but don’t have a code book with me to check.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #2,825  
Assuming this code site is current, multiple receptacles on a 20A circuit can hav 15 or 20 A receptacles. Don’t believe you can mix them.
IMG_2652.JPG
IMG_2651.JPG

A single receptacle on a 20A circuit must be 20A.

Last edited:
   / My Industrial Cabin Build
#2,826  
I am just going to call the inspectors and ask them what they would like to see. The simplest things are not simple.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #2,827  
I am just going to call the inspectors and ask them what they would like to see. The simplest things are not simple.
I'm currently doing my OSHA 30 hour certification; 15 hours are mind numbing drivel that is redundant X ad nauseam ... I finished the on line course in 28 hours, BUT... can't take the test till I reach 30 hours of seat time. Yep... have to go back and listen to the same thing for another two hours... Don't look for common sense in the world of Gubberment.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #2,828  
I didn't know this. In my workshop, I ran two 20 amp lines to my work bench area and a third dedicated line for my air compressor. There are 3 outlets on each of the workbench lines and I used the T shaped 20 amp outlets on every one of those outlets. I had no idea that I did that wrong.

I don't know that it's wrong, but the way it was explained to me many years ago is that it comes down to the plug shape and what it allows to get plugged in to the outlet (internally 15A and 20A are both rated for 20A based on UL requirements, so it's not a safety issue).

Last edited:
   / My Industrial Cabin Build #2,829  

At the end of the day that is the only thing that matters. It's their interpretation of the code that sets the local rules.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #2,830  
For my fridge circuit (dedicated 20a) I could not even use a 20A duplex like this.
IMG_2657.JPG

I had to use this one.

IMG_2656.JPG

Same applied to washing machine. I think that’s the only places. Ironic that both fridge and washer plugs will be 15A.

I used to have a big commercial copier in my garage that was 20A, so I did mix a 20A duplex with 15A receptacles on that circuit, but inspectors might not like it.