My $438 10kw generator

/ My $438 10kw generator #1  

fatjay

Veteran Member
Tractor
Not enough
Your results may vary...

So I ordered a generator off amazon. I seldom purchase new stuff, but some stuff absolutely needs to work when I need it to. And my wife said it was ok. :D

The original generator I ordered was a Duromax 10,000 starting watt/8000 running watts machine for $750. I placed my order on Aug 9th, with scheduled delivery for Saturday, Aug 19th, 9am-12pm. Day of delivery, no call, no show. I called at 1pm and they said the status changed to back order. I wasn't happy. I called amazon to complain, and they said that they could find me a comparable generator and if it was more expensive, adjust the price down. They found the DuroStar 10k for $900. As far as I can tell, the ONLY difference was the paint. They look identical in every way. I was getting it for the same price, though, so I didn't mind. Same thing, scheduled delivery for Saturday the 26th, between 9am-12pm. I had my girls birthday party from 3-9 so I was rushing around the house getting things ready anyway.

I lost track of time, and realized it was 2:30 and they hadn't come yet. Fearing the worst, I called amazon. They said it was scheduled for delivery between 9-12. I said it was 2:30. They said htey would give the delivery company a call, and put me on hold. A few minutes they returned and said it was 30 minutes out. They appologized, and offered me a $125 credit. Suddenly I was in a much better mood. Of course the delivery truck arrived at the exact same time as 12 teenage girls were ariving, but hey, $125 right?

Got the party under way and took cover in the garage to unbox my new generator. opened it, and immediately I noticed there was a big dent on the panel. It was purely cosmetic, but a bit disappointing. It was just the panel with the warning labels anyway, not the electrical panel. Otherwise it was perfect and in new condition. Added oil and gas, hooked up the negative battery cable, and boom, fired right up. Hooked up my voltage meter, put out 120v@61hz. Under load it didn't waver at all.

Still, it was a sticking point in my mind, that dent. I got on amazon chat and asked what my options were. Without even seeing pictures the first thing the guy said "Would you like a 25% discount?" Well ****, I'll certainly live with a little wee dent for that. They credited me another $187.25. The chat conversation was not 3 minutes long, and it was done.

So it was a bit of a headache, but in the end I am happy with the generator and the service. All that's left is to build the shed on the concrete pad I poured last week and wire it to the house.

hrrppWuh.jpg

eUCcvZsh.jpg

dCxoxuth.jpg

f2t3i1ah.jpg

/ My $438 10kw generator #3  
Amazon is not perfect, but sometimes they do the right thing given the chance.

They don't have a drone big enough to pick it up - yet....

/ My $438 10kw generator
I'll admit, throwing money at a problem is extremely effective, but I can't imagine it being a great business model.

/ My $438 10kw generator #5  
Congratulations on a great deal!!!! I wonder if Amazon still made money on it?

/ My $438 10kw generator #6  
Sure they did (or will) since OP and others will continue to purchase from them BECAUSE of the way they handled this transaction and its numerous issues.

/ My $438 10kw generator #7  
If it's as I suspect, it will run in 120V only mode at 66A output - it parallels the two outputs to double the 120V capability - makes it less impact than when in 240V mode to devices on one leg that are light load and a device on the other leg that is a LARGE load comes on line, can cause the light load leg to jump high in voltage as it responds to demand on the other leg. Unless there are 240V loads, keep it in 120V mode to eliminate that.

I have a Northern Tool that uses what appears to be almost the exact same panel and that's the way it is. Makes it also easier to start larger loads like compressors, etc.

/ My $438 10kw generator #8  
I had bought a DuroMax 10,000 Watt Dual Fuel HYBRID Generator and had to return it twice. The first issue was the governor broke while the engine was running and destroyed the engine due to high rpms; it also had a dent in the cover too. Second one had a bolt loose that runs through the generator which couldn't be tightened. I ended up buying a B&S 8000W generator. Ran it for 40 hours straight the last time we lost power. Keep an eye on all the bolts and governor.

/ My $438 10kw generator #9  
Looks like it will be easy enough to straighten that piece of metal. Good deal.

/ My $438 10kw generator
There are 240v loads, such as the well pump, furnace, dryer. I have everything sensative on double-conversion online UPS's, such as tv's and computers, to prevent under and over voltage. Even when on the normal electric grid, when the dryer kicks on I can hear them click over because the drop in voltage.