Must Have Shop Items

/ Must Have Shop Items #251  
trailering - DOT regs 1 at front 1 at back and 1 every 10' Equipment minimum 4 1 every corner + more for attached implements
pulling - 300' of chain is safer than 300' of cable if it breaks

/ Must Have Shop Items #252  
Most of my chains fit in a steel box on the truck. The 1/2"grade70 chains are only brought out when the need arises. By the time I chain down two tractors and a skid steer it takes six 10 footers plus what ever chains needed for the attachments. The shop gets a bit small when things get put into the shop for the winter.

0722181204.jpg

/ Must Have Shop Items #253  
Part of my problem is the $32,000 need just to bring in power. The other part of the problem is the $48,000 just to put up an insolated building with a roof strong enough to support 160 pounds per square foot to support our snow loads.
Yeiks... are you off grid

/ Must Have Shop Items #255  
Three Phase Power???

/ Must Have Shop Items #256  
I just dug thru my paperwork to get accurate. Cost me $42.73 per square foot to build my shop. It's all weather and just as comfortable inside as my house. Construction costs are shocking.

I have great sympathy for anyone that doesn't have a shop but has the need for one. I'd be lost without mine.

/ Must Have Shop Items #257  
I paid 36.500 for my 30x52, of course that was 11 years ago. 1020 sq. feet of it is wired, sealed with 1/4" plywood and walls and ceiling insulated with R30. 12 foot wide lean to sheds comprise each side. It has a 30x30 main shop clear span with a 12 x10 on one side for bathroom and storage area and mandoor. Complete with insulated garage doors with electric openers. I had it built before I built my house.

A shop or mancave is important to have especially during our now self quarantine due to the Covid-19 pandemic.

I have it stocked with several compressors, table saw, multiple grinders, porta-a-bandsaw, 5 battery powered drills, blowers, skilsaw, sabre saw and light, 120v 1/2" drill motor, 250 amp stick welding machine, MIG welder, FCAW welder, lots of storage shelving and a work table. Many other small tools and wrenches with 3/8 to 3/4" drive sockets to work any item on my tractors. I also have several air tools including impact drivers, die grinders, right angle drills and air chisels. A heavy impact driver is a must have for removing rusted bolts.

/ Must Have Shop Items #259  
Yeiks... are you off grid

Or just far from it? Terry's nabe is pretty built up with infrastructure by likely comparison. Does Eric actually do things indoors? I didn't think so at his young age. :) (You go, Man!)

Three Phase Power???

Not many home shops need 3Ph power. 1 ph equipment doesn't cost as much more as it's always harder to find. Machines more than 2 hp may be a luxury like driving a Minmog to work. Could be a big upgrade to full shop from just a workbench. (Is there serious woodworking planned that we haven't heard about?)

btw, I took DRO's back off one lathe and haven't finished installing 3-sxis on the small 'locator' mill. I made all the scale mounts and transducer brackets on them without using DROs and haven't felt the need for them yet. (prototypes vs production) Hand-wheel spinning may become a lost art, but we practitioners know how to deal with backlash and can hold tolerance with the best. If you want CNC and/or DROs IMO they're not necessary for one-off job.

Make chips, boys! (Sawdust is just as good, any day!)

/ Must Have Shop Items #260  
Sure, there's definitely fun and craft doing it old skool. I respect that, but...you could do complex division on paper too, but it's hella easier and faster with a calculator. Same logic with dro's, and you could get chi-com ones pretty cheap now, they work just as good.

A rotary phase converter is a whole lot cheaper than getting 3ph into a home, a vfd even way more cheaper than that.