MTL Post and Tree puller

/ MTL Post and Tree puller #31  
I need to put posts in not pull them.

I'm not saying get the mini clip instead. I'm just saying I could put both to good use for different jobs.

/ MTL Post and Tree puller #32  
IMG_2789.JPG

That’s a tree cutter that want hurt your tires and Bushhog. Used $1,200.

/ MTL Post and Tree puller #34  
The cheapest of those new is something like $10-11,000.

Taking advantage of the lower temps in middle Tennessee, I used the Terramite BH to dig out some trees of various sizes this morning. Compared to a couple months ago, I'd rate the digging at 4x harder than a couple of months ago when there was still some moisture in the soil and much worse than this Spring when the ground was loose.

I'd recommend that you temper your expectations because the results you can achieve in these dry conditions after the summer heat has thoroughly baked the soil will be much different than next Spring.

/ MTL Post and Tree puller #35  
Trees are a constant threat of completely taking over the my hillside farm. Everything grows kudzu fast. A ripper on a small backhoe certainly speeds up the stump removal process. One of many tools for plant defense. Success is only temporary from the green aliens. Sure miss my cows and goats.
IMG_2697.JPG

/ MTL Post and Tree puller #36  
About three weeks ago, I saw kudzu coming up in a couple of places where it had never been before. I might have inadvertently transplanted it with the backhoe or maybe the birds dropped some seed in some of the loose soil I had been working. It got a dose of milestone + brushtox.

/ MTL Post and Tree puller #37  
for small stuff 1"-2" i use the root rake on my grapple to push and clear them fast and then take the grapple using the curl function to lever anything that does not clear out of the ground. the larger ones i push over at 5' above the ground then hook the root ball with the root rake and then lift them into a pile. i learned the hard way not to push them over and then grab them from the side and pull. this was from an 8" that i had pushed over but the tap root was still intact, i had issues with access so instead of taking my time and clearing a path to get a better angle on it i grabbed it from the side rolled the grapple under and pulled, not a great idea.

Attachments

• CARNAGE.jpg
    CARNAGE.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 50
   / MTL Post and Tree puller #38  
I have pushed over several 6-10" tree's with just a double hay spear. Spears are mounted on the bottom of frame 3' apart from each other, frame is very heavy duty.

I pick at the roots and break up what I can on the uphill side of the tree where I will push.
Than I put my loader as high as it will go and see if I can get the root ball to pull out, if not I break the roots up more.

Last edited:
   / MTL Post and Tree puller #39  
I'd recommend that you temper your expectations because the results you can achieve in these dry conditions after the summer heat has thoroughly baked the soil will be much different than next Spring.
Yes I totally understand about the hardness of the soil this time of the year, I plan on starting small while I get the hang of it. But you know how it is around here though, only takes a couple gully washers to moisten that soil right up. I am in no hurry for appreciable rain, I have a good amount of dirt work to do. The rains will come.

@Smokeydog RIGHT!? It's like a jungle around here. Constant struggle. Love that ripper!

/ MTL Post and Tree puller #40  
About three weeks ago, I saw kudzu coming up in a couple of places where it had never been before. I might have inadvertently transplanted it with the backhoe or maybe the birds dropped some seed in some of the loose soil I had been working. It got a dose of milestone + brushtox.
Kudzu doesn't go to seed... If it did we would all see it a lot more than we are use to.