MTL Post and Tree puller

/ MTL Post and Tree puller #1  

shooterdon

Elite Member
Near Johannesburg MI but in the middle of nowhere
Tractor
2019 LS XR4140 HST Cab; 2020 Kawasaki Mule SX; 2021 Bad Boy 54" ZT Elite
Recently received this and thought I would share my experience so far.

On the build, one of the zerk fittings requires a 90* fitting to reach. I need to find something to get to it and it will be a minor inconvenience that should not be there. Wish the bar to prevent tree from falling back was about 3 ft higher.

Tractor weighs 4500 bare weight and has the oversize turf tires with RimGuard (est. 700 lbs). 900 lbs of ballast on 3pt. 2700 lb capacity loader with 3800 lbs breakout force.

Pulling 4x4 posts and T posts is very easy.

Trees are problematic. I assume I will get better at it as I am still learning. But so far... Pulling mostly poplar. Under 2" it easy to cut through them completely. With 4"+, a lot of rocking back and forth is needed while pulling up to loosen things up. 3" trees are easier and some come out easy and some still need rocking action.

Unit was $850 delivered. I certainly could not have made one for that price so I consider it a good value.

It is difficult to see what you are doing so I am planning on mounting a camera. I have also thought about grinding a bevel on one of the jaws and using it as a shear for trees under 4" by driving the jaws just under the ground to eliminate small stumps sticking out and damaging tires.

/ MTL Post and Tree puller #2  
I bought something similar from Titan and have witnessed everything you mentioned. I too am going to mount a camera and display so that I can see what I’m doing.

/ MTL Post and Tree puller #3  
A tip I read on here somewhere is that on bigger trees, cut the tree off about 2 ft from the ground so you're not having to lift the weight of the tree and pull the root ball at the same time.

/ MTL Post and Tree puller #4  
ive tried it all.............if you have very many trees they are a waste of time, they have their place but are not very practical in regards to time or effort or wear on a machine - not to mention the frustration that is over the top when you are trying to get things done and then create more work from the roots/dirt/stumps/stobs/piles etc......

/ MTL Post and Tree puller #5  
I had the one from Titan,
Mounted it on the 3 point, using their 3 point to SSQA adapter, and it pulled trees much more effectively, and efficiently than by using the loader.
Clamp onto tree, back up some, pull forward, while raising 3point. Also much easier to see what you are grabbing onto as well
Cleared out acres of gum tree saplings up to 4 diameter, and 20 + tall

/ MTL Post and Tree puller #6  
ive tried it all.............if you have very many trees they are a waste of time, they have their place but are not very practical in regards to time or effort or wear on a machine - not to mention the frustration that is over the top when you are trying to get things done and then create more work from the roots/dirt/stumps/stobs/piles etc......

Is there a good method you recommend for removing a lot of small trees?

/ MTL Post and Tree puller #7  
I found one,, that might even be better, and only costs $436,, and NO HYDRAULICS ARE REQUIRED!!

1_32_73.png

It appears the green plates hinge up as the puller is pushed onto the tree,,
as you lift the loader, the green plates hinge together, and pinch the tree,,

This sure looks like the best thing,, since sliced bread,,

3_222.png

/ MTL Post and Tree puller #8  
Is there a good method you recommend for removing a lot of small trees?

Depends on definition of small - under 1" bush hog. Tree shears and saws leave stumps. This saw cuts flush to ground Marshall Tree Saw - YouTube

I have a Kubota tree puller, any thing 1/2" or smaller usually snaps off at clamping point. 3-4" about the max I can pull with B2650.

Attachments

• 20170826_131841.jpg
    20170826_131841.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 162
  • 20170911_132039.jpg
    20170911_132039.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 153
   / MTL Post and Tree puller #10  
OOPS, forgot the post/tree puller link,,,

Brush Grubber BG-1 Post/Tree Puller

Got one of those collecting rust, bolts onto bucket, sorta works. Approach tree about 3' high while lowering bucket. Lift bucket to make it grip. You have to dump bucket and bang it against the stop. You're trying to bounce the green parts up to release brush or tree. The bucket gets in the way - can't "surgically" attack some trees like the hydraulic jaw types can.

Probably run it thru a consignment auction sometime, hate it sell it to someone I actually know.