MT225S rear ballast ??

/ MT225S rear ballast ?? #1  

kormidoit

Bronze Member
Tractor
2021 LS MT225S, 2003 Kubota BX2200
So we are coming into snow season and I will be loading snow and moving it to an empty lot across the street....I have taken off my backhoe for the winter, my MT225s has loaded tires from dealer, so do I need to add real ballast ?

/ MT225S rear ballast ?? #2  
Try it without ballast. If you have any issues, just stick an implement on the back (backhoe may be a little cumbersome )

/ MT225S rear ballast ??
Got it.....I have no implements at this time but will give it a try. Thank you.

/ MT225S rear ballast ?? #4  
If you need to put the backhoe on for weight, you can. I would just be worried about backing into something.

/ MT225S rear ballast ??
So another question is its ok.... 3 point attachment is on now.....isnt the down lever suppose to apply pressure going down or just gravity fed ? I have lift pressure but not downward pressure.

/ MT225S rear ballast ?? #6  
So another question is its ok.... 3 point attachment is on now.....isnt the down lever suppose to apply pressure going down or just gravity fed ? I have lift pressure but not downward pressure.

3pt is just gravity; no down pressure.

/ MT225S rear ballast ??
Excellent....I have the hydro lines fitted properly then. Again...Thank you.

/ MT225S rear ballast ?? #8  
I have never seen a 3 point system that has down pressure but that doesn’t mean there aren’t any.
As far as hauling snow in you FEL bucket I don’t think that will be a problem because snow isn’t very heavy, just be a little extra careful the first few trips.

/ MT225S rear ballast ?? #9  
So we are coming into snow season and I will be loading snow and moving it to an empty lot across the street....I have taken off my backhoe for the winter, my MT225s has loaded tires from dealer, so do I need to add real ballast ?
As others have stated, you might need ballast, but try to plow without it.

Do you have hills?
What is your driveway made out of?

The reason for these questions is chains. If you have hills, and I mean, slight hills, your tractor will benefit from wearing chains. But if your driveway is paved concrete, your chains would will put little dimples all over it. Asphalt, wouldn't worry about it. Gravel, go for it. I have filled tires and chains. But my driveway is steep and made of gravel.

The amount of ballast in your tires is negligible. It's better than nothing, but those tires dont weigh much. Just looked up the tire size and the Rimguard tool, your tires filled weigh ~170lbs per tire. Thats not much. But again, better than 0.

My best advice is to run what you have. You will learn very quickly if what you have is adequate. If you feel you need more weight, put your BH on and try it. If you feel like all you do is spin, take a look at getting chains.

/ MT225S rear ballast ?? #10  
This in my first snow season with my LS tractor as well. Dont we want to use the "float" function on the FEL joystick when plowing??

On my FEL joystick there's a little lever in the front at the base of the joystick I just drop the bucket and angle it the way I like and pull out the float function lever??

Rear ballast - on incline probably need something. Try not to drive on the driveway before you plow so you dont make ice tracks/compacted snow. I did that last year and the ice was there to stay for a month or longer.