Moving from 1/2 ton truck to HD truck

/ Moving from 1/2 ton truck to HD truck #51  
OP Congrats on the New Super Duty.

is it still in warranty with those miles, or if not possible to buy an extended warranty that covers the CP4?

If so it might be worth consideration for some extra protection long term.

/ Moving from 1/2 ton truck to HD truck #52  
Maybe 180?
Those trucks were slow as dirt and might pull a 10K trailer downhill with a tailwind on a good day.

Guy I used to work for had late 80’s-early 90’s F-350 stake body with either a 351 or a 360 in it. Man what a freakin turd that thing was. It was the only truck I ever drove that had to be downshifted going uphill empty.

Have to agree Had an F 700 with the 361 what a dog.
we started with a F250 with the 352 2 barrel - reliable as an anvil but gutless, put in a 390 four barrel T bird engine, MPG and power went up. Later had a long bed F 250 with a warmed over 460 and also a fairly stock dually Chev with the 454. I liked them both the Ford 460 did better on MPG. They both towed OK for gas trucks.

Congrats again to the OP on a Newer diesel truck for towing, May it serve you well Whole nother Level from an older Gas truck for towing.

Last edited:
   / Moving from 1/2 ton truck to HD truck #53  
Those 6 liters were bullet proof - many go past 300,000 miles. My 2010 has 276,000 and still has power. Hard on gas sometimes but the payment is right
That’s good to know. I haven’t bought a new truck yet this millennium, but the one I bought new on the last year of the last one, and another “Florida truck” made that same year that I got used, are both still going strong:
B94BA7F6-7C30-4C66-B2D3-E849296599F7.jpeg

Neither has turned 100k yet, so I should be good to go another 40 years.

/ Moving from 1/2 ton truck to HD truck #54  
That’s good to know. I haven’t bought a new truck yet this millennium, but the one I bought new on the last year of the last one, and another “Florida truck” made that same year that I got used, are both still going strong:

Neither has turned 100k yet, so I should be good to go another 40 years.

Those are both very good looking, and well taken care of trucks. I'm a big fan of that generation, and while the ones I owned were a few years newer, they weren't much different. The only thing that takes them out of commission early is rust, or that's been my experience.

/ Moving from 1/2 ton truck to HD truck #55  
My Dodge 2500 2003 5.9 averaged 15.3 mpg pulling between
10k to 12k camper going from Big Spring, TX to Salena, Colarado
and 200 miles speed was up and down from 15 to 45 mph. Now
have no need for it and just fixing it up to sell with an enclosed 14 ft
trailer.

willy

edit: You should have No trouble finding a buyer.

That Should make a Great Dodge Heavy Duty for someone Willy

2003 are the Highly desirable first year "Unicorn" 3rd gen Common Rail Cummins with no emissions devices.

One of the best Cummins years for MPG as well.

Last edited:
   / Moving from 1/2 ton truck to HD truck #56  
That Should make a Great Non emissions Cummins powered Dodge Heavy Duty for someone Willy

It really would; you can tell just from his posts Willy takes pride in maintaining his tractor and I wouldn't expect any different of his truck.

/ Moving from 1/2 ton truck to HD truck #57  
Those are both very good looking, and well taken care of trucks. I'm a big fan of that generation, and while the ones I owned were a few years newer, they weren't much different. The only thing that takes them out of commission early is rust, or that's been my experience.
The other side of the 4x4 in front don’t look as good. 20 years of upstate NY winters, where they use tons of road salt, took its toll on that one. When the frame rusted to the point, where it wouldn’t safely haul my truck camper (or pass state inspection) I was going to pull the tags and use it as a “field vehicle”.

My recently retired father in law asked if he could have it, to use as a plow truck, up at his new home in the mountains. He pulled the box off, got the frame welded up, and did a little body work on it. He also uses it for hauling firewood in the summer up there. I use it for hunting when I visit in the fall. It passes inspection now and is still “on the road”. The air conditioner finally quit last year.

The 2wd, extended cab model in the back was his brother in laws, and that one always wintered in Florida. When I bought it (paid him $5k for it) (4) years ago with 60k miles on it, there wasn’t a spot of rust on it. I learned my lesson about the rust on the other one. I’ve had this one treated with “Carwell” rust-proofing every other year and it remains rust free even though we do use it a little in the winter.

It handles my camper a little better than the 4x4 did and is the top of the line “camper special” model with all the options, 2 batteries, etc.. We just had the camper on it for a vacation last week. The 4x4 is the base model with hand crank windows , plastic floor covers and AC as the only “option”. I also like the 2wd better for hauling my Farmall Cub, where the lower height is an advantage for loading. The 8 ft boxes on both of them fits that tractor like a glove.
67BF7252-72CF-4604-A9BD-8D8A853595E1.jpeg

F900F7E4-6F0D-49FE-81A8-FF913A1237B7.jpeg

/ Moving from 1/2 ton truck to HD truck #59  
That's so crazy, seeing the Cub in the bed of a pickup; I wouldn't believe it would fit if I wasn't looking at it.

That is, without a doubt, a perfect fit.
Me either, I bet a lot of people have to look twice.

/ Moving from 1/2 ton truck to HD truck #60  
Me either, I bet a lot of people have to look twice.
That’s why I got a Cub instead of a Super A. I hate trailers and my parents farm is 20 miles away from our’s. The Cub only goes about 11 mph at wide open throttle in 3rd gear. It would take me most of a day to drive it over there and back, but I can get it over there in just over 20 minutes, in the bed of the truck.

They have a perfect spot to unload over there. I just back up to the raised sand-filter septic system in their front yard. I was getting some looks while loading up from the folks shopping for chainsaws and lawn-mowers at the dealer’s shop across the street.
8D4B9ECF-F336-48EF-B007-7F08ACD9EC5F.jpeg

The Cub, even with loaded rear tires, must be considerably lighter than my 8 ft camper, because the truck handles better in the turns with it on back.

Tractor & Equipment Auctions

2021 Bobcat T66 Skid Steer Loader (A32803)
2021 Bobcat T66...
8 Yard steel end load dumpster, used w/ normal wear & tear (A33073)
8 Yard steel end...
2008 HONDA CIVIC (A32908)
2008 HONDA CIVIC...
6 Yard steel end load dumpster, used w/ normal wear & tear (A33073)
6 Yard steel end...
2019 Ford F-150 Pickup Truck, VIN # 1FTFW1E58KFB69623 (A32908)
2019 Ford F-150...
2022 John Deere 333G Compact Track Loader (A33113)
2022 John Deere...