Moving and repurposing a building, advice needed

/ Moving and repurposing a building, advice needed #21  
Leave the building alone. Buy the land.

:D

Bruce

/ Moving and repurposing a building, advice needed #22  
Buy the land...is it for sale? May not be a bad idea. The other thought is it needs a new roof, but looks like lumber is ok. Have you thought about just taking it apart? Salvage what you can, take home and use it to build a shed? Whatever you don't take I know people want it gone, you could haul off or burn.

/ Moving and repurposing a building, advice needed #23  
44' is a lot to handle all at once. Two 22 x16 sections might be easier to manage.

The last thing you want is to get this on the road, have it get away and cause an accident not covered by any insurance.

/ Moving and repurposing a building, advice needed
Buying the land is not gonna happen. The property is marginal at best and would need $100,000 in repair/demolition to bring it up to an acceptable level. There are 3 old homes on the property, 2 need to be demolished. 7 out buildings, all need repair or torn down. The property is riddled with marsh land and drainage issues. That aside, I might cut the building in half and move two halves down the road.

However, I have also contacted a couple roll off companies. My thought was to have them drop off their largest dumpster, roll it under the roof, drop the roof onto the dumpster, have them pick up the dumpster and roof all at once and drive it over to my place. Can't hurt to ask!

/ Moving and repurposing a building, advice needed #25  
I can haul it with my tractor, I'm sure it will do it. The truck is an F350, capacity I think is around 12,000lbs.....I THINK. I'm pretty sure, if I went nice and slow, it can be pulled without issue.

The site is not prepped, but it is flat. I was going to move it, leave it on the wagons until the weather changes and spring chores are done. Hence, I can't borrow someone else's lowboy or semi trailer. I also don't want the concrete barrels, I would dig new holes and use new posts.
I've hauled 50,000 pounds with an F250 many times, sometimes 100 miles one way.

/ Moving and repurposing a building, advice needed #26  
If it needs a new roof, cut that thing in sections. Haul it in sections. House movers cut houses up and move them. I've put a few together. Hauling something that long will be bad. Trailer houses are long but the axles are more toward the center, so easier to handle. Ive moved a trailer house over 20 miles with a pickup. I've done some daring things in the past. But, the three of us, (me, myself, and I ) have thought this out. You should cut this baby in two, or three, to make this move easier. Get on sides and lift upward to hold it. Cut first section loose, across roof and four posts. Tie a chain on posts and pull outward and get them out of way. Back trailer under and let down. If you have 3 hay wagons you can cut in three wagon length sections and leave on the wagon whilst thou preppeth thy site. That is a valuable consideration, time saver too.

/ Moving and repurposing a building, advice needed #27  
The 16' width is something to consider relative to the roads and traffic conditions.

/ Moving and repurposing a building, advice needed #28  
Looking at your pictures, it looks like the posts just bolt onto the roof, so you may not need to cut them at all.
45' is shorter than a semitrailer, if you could find someone with a flatbed semitrailer you could stack 4' of pallets on it and move it on that.
If it has air suspension you could deflate the airbags on the truck and trailer, back them under, stack pallets (and some 2 by lumber), unbolt the legs, reinflate the airbags and drive off.

I would probably not use hay wagons unless they were flat deck ones and I were separating it into multiple pieces like @ROUSTABOUT suggested, it would put a lot of strain on things to have them chained together and not be able to turn.

Aaron Z

/ Moving and repurposing a building, advice needed #29  
I'm curious why you think this building is well built? From every picture that I've looked at, it appears to be poorly built and in need of a new roof and decking. The OSB is stained and rotting, the trusses are not really trusses, and there is no bracing anywhere on the building. Are the posts in the ground or just cemented into those plastic barrels?

Taking it apart may yield some usable lumber, but the time it would take to get that lumber, and disposing of all the junk doesn't make it worthwhile when compared to what new lumber would cost to build something brand new.

I would walk away from this project.

/ Moving and repurposing a building, advice needed #30  
It needs a roof anyway so climb up on it...if your foot goes through say "arrivederchi baby" and adios!
If you have the time and inclination maybe salvage what's solid and offer to burn the rest. There may be enough good material to easily transport it a mile home building a shed out of it.